- TSN: Darryl Sutter has stepped down as the Calgary Flames general manager effective immediately. Jay Feaster, who was the teams assistant GM, will take over as GM .
“We will move forward under a new administration with Jay leading our hockey operations as Acting General Manager,” said King. “For the remainder of this season, Jay will be provided the opportunity to evaluate the team from the GM’s chair and build a long term plan. We believe that while we continue to compete for a playoff position this season, this period will provide both the organization and Jay time to decide on critical future decisions.”
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Brian Rolston has been assigned to the AHL and will be placed on re-entry waivers. Darren Dreger via twitter: Rolston will be available for half price, a couple teams said they would be interested in him on re-entry when he was originally waived. Capgeek via twitter: If he’s claimed on re-entry waivers, he’ll still count $2,531,250 against the cap.
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: Marek Svatos signs with the St. Louis Blues. A 2-way deal that will pay him $800,000 in the NHL and $105,000 in the AHL. He must clear waivers first because he was playing in the KHL before.
- Arthur Staple via twitter: Michael Del Zotto did not practice due to groin injury, and may not play tomorrow (may not have played even if groin was fine).
- Chris Vivlamore via twitter: Patrice Cormier was recalled by the Atlanta Thrashers, Tim Stapleton was sent to the AHL.
- Katie Carrera via twitter: Semyon Varlamov was the first goalie off for the Capitals, therefore likely to start.
- Jonas Siegel via twitter: Jonas Gustavsson will start for the Maple Leafs tonight against the Hurricanes.
- Will DePaoli via twitter: It doesn’t look like Jordan Staal will be playing in the Winter Classic. He’ll have more x-rays tonight.