- Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will start the season with the Oilers. RNH was skating with Ales Hemskyand Taylor Hall.
“Ryan will start the season with us,” said Renney. “We all understand the parameters there that he can operate within before we have to make a real concrete decision. Again, we’ll do it a game at a time, but he has had a very good camp.”
When Sam Gagne returns from injury, Anton Lander could be sent to the AHL. Lennart Petrell could be the casualty when Ben Eager returns from a concussion.
- Seth Rorabaugh of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: The Penguins have their roster set at 23 players. They sent Alexandre Picard, Brian Strait and Jason Williams to the AHL, Joe Morrow to back junior, and put Sidney Crosby (concussion), Dustin Jeffrey (knee), Nick Petersen (concussion), Robert Bortuzzo (knee) and Boris Valabik (knee) on the IR. Defenseman Brooks Orpik could be close to returning.
- Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune: The Blackhawks cut their roster to 27 yesterday by sending Jimmy Hayes, Marcus Kruger, Peter LeBlanc and Brandon Pirri and Dylan Olsen to the AHL. They have 16 forwards, 8 defenseman and 3 goalies still in camp. Viktor Stalberg will likely be put on the IR. Jeremy Morin and Philippe Paradis are possible candidates to be sent to the AHL.
- Brett Cyrgalis of the NY Post: The Islanders placed both Nino Niederreiter and Trevor Gillies on the IR with groin strains. Niederreiter was expected to make the team, and not be heading back to junior. He had been playing on the top line with John Tavares and Matt Moulson. The Isles still have 26 players on their roster. Jay Pandolfo is still in camp on an invite.
- Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: Predators forward Mike Fisher practiced with teammates for the first time yesterday after undergoing offseason shoulder surgery. Fisher did say that he won’t be ready for the season opener, and has not been cleared for contact yet. Defenseman Ryan Ellis was assigned to Milwaukee of the AHL so he can better understand the pro game. The Preds put Kyle Wilson on waivers.
- Mark Emmons of the San Jose Mercury News: The Sharks assigned Justin Braun, Benn Ferriero and John McCarthy to Worcester of the AHL. Goalie Antti Niemi is looking like he’ll be able to go for the season opener. The Sharks still have 28 players on their camp roster, Antero Niittymaki and James Sheppard will be put the IR, leaving 3 moves that will have to be made.
- Mike Chambers of the Denver Post: Matt Ducheneis entering the final year of his entry level deal, and is likely to get a nice raise.
“If I take care of business, that’s a reward. That’s not something that you aim for. It’s not a destination. It’s a byproduct,” he said matter of factly.
Duchene has 1 more point in his short career than Islanders John Tavares, who recently signed a 6 year, $33 million deal. Duchene agent, Pat Brisson (Tavares’ agent as well), hasn’t talked extension with the Avalanche yet.
- James Mirtle via twitter: The Red Wings have signed Fabian Brunnstrom to a 1 year, 2-way deal.