- Dallas Morning News: The Stars inquired about Jason Spezza at the draft, but talks didn’t go far. Mike Heika of the DMN thinks that if the Stars and Senators discussed players, the Senators could be interested in Trevor Daley, Brenden Dillon or Alex Chiasson, to go along with a prospect and pick. If the Senators need to take on salary to stay above the salary floor, maybe the Stars could include Sergei Gonchar.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Senators GM Bryan Murray wasn’t too happy that he couldn’t move Jason Spezza for a deal that included the Predators first round pick and Patric Hornqvist.
“We’ll continue to talk and over the course of time I’m sure the people that miss out on July 1 will come knocking but we’ll have to wait and see,” said Murray as the draft wrapped up.
“He’s got a year left on a contract. If we can find a good package — something that is somewhat comparable — and I’ve said all along we won’t get full value. Jason’s an 80-to-90 point guy and you don’t get that kind of return in any kind of trade in this league today.
“I’m hoping that we get something fair in return for the player.”
Options for Spezza could be the Blues (want to see if they can get Paul Stastny), Coyotes (written before Gagner trade), Stars and Blackhawks ($7 million cap hit would be an issues, but less of one if they can trade Patrick Sharp).
Murray isn’t giving up on trading Spezza.
“I think, going forward, there will be discussion. This is a quality player in the NHL. If we can do something, we’ll do something. From point of view, I’d like to get a couple of guys I can put on the ice.”
- Josh Yohe: Have heard nothing with regards to the Penguins being interested in Martin Brodeur. Make zero sense for them.
- Adrian Dater: Silence from the Avs and Paul Stastny’s camp last night.
- Lance Hornby: The Leafs haven’t commented on reports of James Reimer asking for a trade.
- David Pagnotta: Surprising the number of teams that are very interested in Ryan Miller. He’ll get several offers tomorrow.