- Darren Dreger of TSN: The Maple Leafs have a list of 5 defenseman they are after, and trade offers have been made. John-Michael Liles is one Dman they’ve looked at, but the Avalanche may want to hold off a week before deciding if they want to make a move. The Leafs have shown interest in Dustin Penner, but he Oilers are under no pressure to move him. GM Tambellini will be looking for 1st round pick or top prospect as starting point.
- Kevin Allen of the USA Today: The Canucks may still need to a defenseman, even if some of their guys return. The Penguins are still looking to add, but won’t give up valuable assets (ie. 1st round pick). Several teams have inquired about Stephen Weiss, and they Panthers may be willing to look at doing a ‘true hockey deal.’ The Sabres would like to make a move, but find the prices too high at the moment. If the Coyotes look to add anything, it would have to be a dollar-for-dollar deal. The Senators would like to trade Chris Phillips and Alex Kovalev. The Thrashers are still looking at what is available.
- Dave Molinari and Shelly Anderson of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Even after adding James Neal, the Penguins are seriously considering adding right winger Alex Kovalev. Bob McKenzie via twitter: The Penguins want to add another winger, and may have to settle with Kovalev for a late pick as the asking price for better players is too high.
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: The Flames would like to add another defense, hence Hagman going on waivers. GM Feaster doesn’t have a 2nd or 3rd round pick this year. Bob McKenzie via twitter: Feaster doesn’t have many trade chips as he doesn’t want to move a roster player, or keeping trading away draft pick. Pierre LeBrun via twitter: Feaster told LeBrun that he doesn’t want to move 2012 draft picks to make up for the lack of 2011 picks.
- Vicki Hall of the Calgary Herald: Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster,
“One of the things I think we need to do in order to have long-term success is to stop what I call the deficit spending, ” Feaster said. “You end up moving a second for next year and a third for next year at the trade deadline this year, and you’re going to find yourself right back in the same situation.”
“We’re not going to be a seller,” Feaster said, firmly. “This hockey organization doesn’t deserve that. This group has played right back into contention, and our mission hasn’t changed since Day 1. And it certainly hasn’t changed since I was named on Dec. 28.
“And that is to make the playoffs.”
- Luke DeCock via twitter: The Carolina Hurricanes were high on John-Michael Liles at one point, and he may be on the move.
- On Frozen Pond via facebook: Peter DeBoar on the Panthers, “In the position we’re in, what management has said, has heightened things. More guys are on notice that they might not be here at the end of the weekend.”
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: The NY Islanders have no intention of putting Evgeni Nabokov on waivers.