On Kristains Rubins …
Aivis Kalnins: Have been hearing that there are a couple teams that are interested in 20-year old Latvian defenseman Kristains Rubins. “6’4″ has a good reach and knows how to use his frame”
On the Nashville Predators …
Adam Vingan of the Tennessean: The players are hoping there isn’t much change, and head coach Peter Laviolette is not looking for wholesale changes either.
“That’s going to be very influential,” Poile said of the players’ desire to keep the roster together. “I’ve sat here many years saying there’s got to be a lot of changes made, that I’m not happy with our team. … This is different. I really think we’re building in the right direction.”
Pending UFAs: Mike Fisher retired and Scott Hartnell and Alexei Emelin won’t be back.
Pending RFAs – Juuse Saros and Ryan Hartman are not arbitration eligible, Miikka Salomaki is.
On the Arizona Coyotes …
Chris Nichols of FRS Hockey: Darren Dreger was on TSN 690 yesterday and was talking about Craig Morgan’s report that the Coyotes and Oliver Ekman-Larsson. Dreger was asked if OEL was “in that tier” of $8 to $9 million per year.
“Well, I mean I believe that he thinks he’s on that tier, and that’s all that matters,” said Dreger. “The market, at some point, will dictate where he’s at. He’s not an unrestricted free agent yet, but Arizona wants to lock him up and they’re presenting the max in term at eights year, and their offer, I’m told, was around $8 million. I can tell you this: That’s not going to get it done. He’s not going to stay with the Arizona Coyotes at that ticket, unless there’s a change of heart or a change of position. Whether or not he qualifies in that group, like I said, that’s up to the NHL to decide. I feel like he does.”
Dreger adds that it’s no surprise that there is lots of trade interest in Ekman-Larsson. Is there a point where GM John Chayka and the Coyotes decide that price is too high – would it be $9 million or more?
“Would that be enough for Chayka and the ownership of the Arizona Coyotes to push away and say, ‘Alright, well we can’t do that financially, so now let’s kind of see what the bidding looks like.’ And that could happen as early as the draft in June.”