On defensive prospects …
Corey Pronman: An executive from a team that is considering selling at the deadline is frustrated with trying to improve their defense: “Nobody is moving defense prospects right now.”
On Kevin Shattenkirk …
Matt Larkin of The Hockey News: Looking at five ideal landing spots for St. Louis Blues defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk if the Blues decide to move him.
5. Toronto Maple Leafs – The Leafs could use an improvement on the blueline, and Toronto is somewhere that Shattenkirk would be comfortable with. The Leafs might make Travis Dermott or Andrew Nielsen available. Rumors have the Leafs possibly moving James van Riemsdyk for a top-four defenseman. Might be too early in the rebuild for the Leafs to make this type of move.
4. Boston Bruins – The Bruins lack depth and talent on the blueline. The Bruins have Ryan Spooner that could be available, and if could get an extension done, could include a prospect like Jakub Zboril. Should only trade for Shattenkirk if the are sure they can re-sign him.
3. Tampa Bay Lightning – Desperately need a mobile top-four defenseman. Would the Blues do a Ben Bishop for Shattenkirk deal? The Lightning may not be able to re-sign Shattenkirk with all their other RFAs.
2. Edmonton Oilers – They lack a true offensive defenseman. Jordan Eberle could use a change of scenery. The Blues would need to make another move though to acquire a defenseman.
1. New York Rangers – Would be a dream fit on the Rangers blueline. Shattenkirk calls the Hamptons his home. The Rangers have depth upfront and could offer J.T. Miller. They’ve also never been shy of trading draft picks. Would be tricky to do an extension due to their cap situation and the need to re-sign Mika Zibanejad (RFA). Salary would be moved out to acquire him, so it could be possible.