Decision time nearing for the Hurricanes
Chip Alexander of the Raliegh News & Observer: Decision time for the Carolina Hurricanes is nearing on if they will be buyers, sellers or being status quo.
GM Don Waddell said that after their road trip ends against the Senators, they’ll have a better idea.
Pending UFA Micheal Ferland would be a good top-six rental for someone if they look to move him.
“We’ve got some UFAs and one that has gotten some interest and traction,” Waddell said of Ferland. “I’ve said maybe that’s our rental piece if things are going well. We know we may not be able to sign him, but if we trade him we have to go out and find a piece.”
“I would say we’re talking to a lot of people, a lot of teams. But I’ve told everybody we’ll get through the (road trip) and see where things are.”
Dreger can’t see the Senators re-sign all three of their big pending UFAs
“It’s unlikely. I don’t see any way that they get all three signed, and I think that it’s a bit of a longshot that they two of the three. Some who I trust think that all three might be walking. We’re going to find out sooner than later.”
“Now, whether that happens with both of those guys this week, one of those guys this week, we’re going to have to wait and see. But when you’re this close to the February 25 trade deadline and you’re trying to maximize the return for two star players, then I feel like Pierre Dorion and the Ottawa Senators are going to need as much time as possible to try and manufacture the greatest return.”