On the Boston Bruins …
Kevin Paul Dupont: If the Bruins and Ryan Spooner have the salary set through arbitration, the Bruins could look at the second buyout window and winger Matt Beleskey could be vulnerable.
Kevin Paul Dupont: If the Bruins were to buyout Beleskey it would cost them $1.222 million for the next six years.
On Top 10 remaining unrestricted free agents …
Luke Fox of Sportsnet: Free agency has slowed down but there are still notable names out there.
- Andrei Markov – defense – 38 years old
- Thomas Vanek – right wing – 33 years old
- Jaromir Jagr – right wing – 45 years old
- Mike Fisher – center – 37 years old
- Cody Franson – defense – 29 years old
- Brian Campbell – defense – 38 years old
- Drew Stafford – left/right wing – 31 years old
- Mark Streit – defense – 39 years old
- Brian Gionta – right wing – 38 years old
- Jarome Iginla – right wing – 40 years old
On the New York Rangers …
Larry Brooks of the NY Post: The Rangers have a hole at center after trading Derek Stepan to the Coyotes at the draft. There was some talk that they could shift J.T. Miller to the middle, but they may not be the case to start the season according to coach Alain Vigneault.
“At some point, he might play center, but I’m not sure about starting the season that way.
“I know that Jeff and our personnel group scouted J.T. as a center and they like his skills there, and I think that J.T. has a lot to offer us in different ways. When we get together as a coaching staff the first week of August, we’ll take a look at our group, see how our puzzle shapes up and what opportunities different guys have to fill different spots.”
Vigneault is hoping they can get more out of Mika Zibanejad and Kevin Hayes. Recently signed David Desharnais and 2017 first round pick Lias Andersson are other options down the middle.