- Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly: (mailbag) Panaccio would not include Samuel Morin in a Shea Weber trade. He would give up a couple first round picks and/or Scott Laugton and more for Weber. Panaccio thinks the Flyers may only make one deal at the deadline, maybe an upgrade to the blueline but it won’t be significant.
- Ansar Khan of MLive: (mailbag) The Red Wings haven’t said if Henrik Zetterberg will require surgery to repair his herniated disc. He’s still in Russia as he’s not able to fly yet, but is expected to later this week. There are only five teams that are currently out of the playoff picture which will increase the asking prices: Buffalo, Florida, Islanders, Edmonton and Calgary. If the Red Wings were going to bring in someone, they would have to send out salary. If Zetterberg ends up being put on the LTIR or is out for the season, they would get some extra cap space. If Zetterberg is out, Khan could see them looking for a scorer. There are not a lot of options and there would be several teams bidding against them: Thomas Vanek, Matt Moulson, Mike Cammalleri and Brad Boyes. Khan doesn’t think the Blue Jackets will look to trade Marian Gaborik. If made available, his $7.5 million salary cap hit is likely too high for the Wings. Khan doesn’t see the Wings trading for Brian Campbell. The Wings have some interest in Islanders Andrew MacDonald.
- Matthew Coller: Sabres GM Tim Murray said there have been no trade talks during the Olympics so far.
- Kristen Odland of the Calgary Herald: Injured Flames forward Curtis Glencross skated several times before the Olympics, and more will be known on his status when the team starts practicing again on Wednesday.
- Chris Johnston: Team Canada won’t announce if there are any lineup changes until after Wednesday’s morning skate.
- Helene St. James in USA Today: Sweden’s Erik Karlsson crashed in to Henrik Lundqvist at the end of practice. Lundqvist was crouched down for several minutes before skating over to the boards. They say he is fine.
“That’s a tough thing,” Alfredsson said, “because he really wanted to catch Loui on the breakaway and threw himself down, and Henrik was trying to make the save, and they just pummeled each other. We can laugh at it now because it wasn’t too serious, but it gave everybody a big scare.”
- Harvey Fialkov: Panthers Tomas Kopecky didn’t play for Slovakia yesterday as he probably has a concussion. He took an elbow to the head.
- Dmitry Chesnokov: Russia’s Ilya Kovalchuk is not practicing with the team today. Viktor Tikhonov is skating in Kovalchuk’s place along side Pavel Datsyuk and Alex Redulov.