- The Fourth Period: Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford said on Tuesday that he’s still talking with a “big name free agent” and is trying to create a roster spot for him.
“There’s one guy that has said he will take less on a one-year contract to come to us, because he likes our team and he’d like to play here,” Rutherford said. “I’ve been continuing to work on ways to do that.
“We’re going to have to move a player out before we’re able to add a player, and at this point in time I haven’t been able to do it, but the player is still waiting patiently.”
It’s been rumored that they might be looking at Jaromir Jagr.
- Josh Rimer: (as of later afternoon yesterday) Rimer is hearing that the Hurricanes have had no discussions with Jagr or Mikhail Grabovski. That could change though. They like Grabovski.
- John Hoven: Kings GM Dean Lombardi on Kyle Clifford talks: ‘It gets closer every day, but is it close enough…don’t think we’re far off w/ any of them’
- Sarah McLellan: Coyotes GM Don Maloney said they’ve had “numerous conversations” with Mikkel Boedker’s camp in the last few days and are progressing towards a deal.
- Aaron Portzline: Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen said they haven’t extended a contract offer to Vinny Prospal.
- Corey Pronman: Toronto goalie Jussi Rynnas signed in Finland.
- Andy Strickland of True Hockey: Though he’s filed for arbitration, contract talks with the Blues and Chris Stewart have picked up. They have talked about different scenarios, including a long-term deal. The Blues are willing to go $4.1 million, the same they gave T.J. Oshie on a five-year deal last summer. They are not in a rush for an Alex Pietrangelo deal. They are fine with going long-term but Strickland doesn’t see them wanting to give him $7 million when coming off an entry level deal.