- Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun: Francis laughs at the rumor that Daniel Alfredsson could interest the Flames at some point. The Flames do have an interest in Coyotes holdout Kyle Turris. A source close to the situation has said that the Flames are one of six teams to make a ‘significant’ offer. Coyotes GM Don Maloney is still saying he doesn’t have plans to trade him. Rene Bourque is also front and center in trade rumors lately. Flames GM Jay Feaster continues to tell other GMs that Mark Giordano is not available. Francis doesn’t see the Flames trading Jarome Iginla. Ollie Jokinen wants to re-sign with the Flames. Tim Jackman and Tom Kostopoulos are UFAs and could draw minor interest at some point. David Moss won’t be traded unless he wants out. They would love to move Matt Stajan and his $3.5 million salary in a package, but it’s unlikely that there is anyone else on their roster to draw that much interest.
- Ken Warren of the Ottawa Citizen: The Blue Jackets are having issues on and off the ice. There are reports that they are losing $25 million a season, and there is talk about the long-term survival of the franchise. Their last few home games have only drawn 9,000 fans.
- James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail: Two high profile GMs have said they’d like to see more players starting next season.
“Visors should be mandatory for all defencemen, at the least,” Burke said, adding that blueliners are at “a far greater risk” of being hit in the face by a puck because of all the deflections in front of the net.
“I’d want to hear the GMs out on the larger topic , but I think I would support Homer.”
- Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun: The Jets won’t be pulling off any blockbuster deals because the team is off to a slow start. They may pull off some smaller deals along the way, but finding a trade partner who isn’t trying to fleece is hard to find. Most teams aren’t looking to get rid of 30 goal scorers and many teams would like to upgrade their blueline.
- Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider: Kings defenseman Drew Doughty was wearing a no-contact jersey again at practice yesterday. When asked yesterday when Doughty will see the doctor next, Murray said, “The opportunity will probably be tonight, to see the doctor at the rink. We plan on taking him with us on the road trip, kind of shooting for the end of the week here as a possibility.”
- Erik Erlendsson via twitter: Lightning GM Steve Yzerman confirmed that they will be keeping Brett Connolly and won’t be sending him back to junior.
- Shaun Starr via twitter: Canadiens Max Pacioretty has a partially torn ligament in his wrist. Starr has been told surgery is unlikely. Renaud Lavoie via twitter: It’s a partial tear, no breaks, deep bruise. He could be back in the lineup this week.
- Dan Tencer via twitter: Oilers coach Tom Renny says that Ryan Whitney has a sprained knee but it’s not significant. A few days and he should be fine.
- Michael Russo of the Star Tribune: Wild forward Guilaume Latendresse is bothered by a wonky groin again, and look for the Wild to be cautious with him. Dany Heatley and Greg Zanon are also bothered by groin issues. Brett Bulmer will play in his 9th game on Thursday and likely won’t be returned to junior.
- Luke DeCock via twitter: Scouts in Carolina last night were the Blue Jackets, Flyers and Penguins. The Canes play the Flyers and Pens in the next 3 weeks. They don’t play the Blue Jackets.