- Katie Strang of ESPN: Rental candidates at the trade deadline: Thomas Vanek, Mike Cammalleri, Matt Moulson, Ryan Miller and maybe Ryan Callahan. Strang thinks that Jaromir Jagr and possibly Martin Brodeur (citing Rich Chere) could be added to that list.
- Darren Dreger: Canadiens Daniel Briere isn’t happy with his situation. Dreger wonders before how long before the team and player look for a better fit. Briere had multiple two year offers at $4 million in the offseason, but chose the Canadiens.
- The Fourth Period: Canadiens Briere has only 10 points in 28 games and has voiced his unhappiness with the coaching staff and management about how he’s been used. GM Marc Bergevin has let teams know that Briere is available. The Canadiens are looking for some top-six size upfront. The Canadiens have been linked to Evander Kane and Paul Stastny. Briere has a no-trade clause but is believed to be okay with waiving it.
- The Fourth Period: The Kings could use a scoring left winger. Options could include Matt Moulson, Mike Cammalleri, Ryan Malone and Michael Grabner. The Kings have Alec Martinez to dangle, and have pending UFAs Daniel Carcillo and Trevor Lewis.
- Katie Carrera of the Washington Post: Michal Neuvirth has joined Martin Erat and Dmitry Orlov in asking for a way out of Washington. The Capitals may not consider moving Erat until Brooks Laich can remain in the lineup on a consistent basis. Orlov is getting into the lineup a lot more since his trade request in November and seems to be happier.
“I’m playing. I don’t think about what happened before. I don’t think about moving as long as I’m playing,” Orlov, 22, said this week. “I don’t think about the negative. It was tough time, but it’s in the past. It’s done. I just want to keep playing, stay positive and keep working.”
Neuvirth appears to have fallen to 3rd on their depth chart.
“They’ve got three goalies that can all play. Everyone can see that. It’s come to the point where it’s getting very unpleasant,” Stefan said in a phone interview. “He just wants to prove he can be the starter, and when he’s been given an opportunity to play he’s shown he can be a number one guy, but now he’s not even on the bench.”
- Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington: Gormley wonders if it is time to trade Neuvirth.