- Free Agents
- 2014 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2014 UFA Centers
- 2014 UFA Left Wingers
- 2014 UFA Right Wingers
- 2014 UFA Defenseman
- 2014 UFA Goalies
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- Hall of Fame
- A. Joseph (Joe) Primeau
- Adam Oates
- Al Arbour
- Al MacInnis
- Albert Charles (Babe) Siebert
- Alex Connell
- Alexander Peter (Alex) Delvecchio
- Alfred E. (Alf) Smith
- Allan Herbert Stanley
- Allan M. (Scotty) Davidson
- Allan W. Pickard
- Anatoli V. Tarasov
- Anders Borje Salming
- Andrew James (Andy) Bathgate
- Andy Van Hellemond
- Angela James
- Angus D. Campbell
- Anthony James (Tony) Esposito
- Arthur Edmund (Art) Coulter
- Arthur F. Farrel
- Arthur Howie (Art) Ross
- Arthur M. Wirtz
- Aubrey V. (Dit) Clapper
- Aurel Emile Joliat
- Bernard Allan Federko
- Bernard Joseph Andre (Boom Boom) Geoffrion
- Bernard Marcel (Bernie) Parent
- Bill Torrey
- Blair Russel
- Bob Gainey
- Bob Johnson
- Bob Pulford
- Bobby Bauer
- Brendan Shanahan
- Brett Hull
- Brian Francis O’Neill
- Brian Kilrea
- Brian Leetch
- Bruce A. Norris
- Bruce Stuart
- Bryan Aldwyn Hextall
- Bryan Trottier
- Bun Cook
- Cam Neely
- Cammi Granato
- Capt. James T. Sutherland
- Carl P. Voss
- Cecil Henry (Babe) Dye
- Cecil R. (Tiny) Thompson
- Charles Adams
- Charles Graham Drinkwater
- Charles Hay
- Charles Joseph Sylvanus (Syl) Apps
- Charles Robert (Chuck) Gardiner
- Charles Thomas (Tom) Hooper
- Charles William (Charlie) Conacher
- Chris Chelios
- Clarence (Happy) Day
- Clarence S. Campbell
- Clark Gillies
- Claude C. Robinson
- Claude Earl (Chuck) Rayner
- Cliff Fletcher
- Clinton James Smith
- Clinton S. Benedict
- Conn Smythe
- Craig Patrick
- Cyril Joseph (Cy) Denneny
- Dale Hawerchuk
- Darryl Glen Sittler
- Daryl K. Seaman
- David (Sweeney) Schriner
- David Michael Keon
- Denis Potvin
- Denis Savard
- Dick Duff
- Didier Pitre
- Dino Ciccarelli
- Donald H. (Dan) Bain
- Doug Gilmour
- Douglas Bradford (Brad) Park
- Douglas Norman Harvey
- Douglas Wagner (Doug) Bentley
- Duncan McMillan (Mickey) MacKay
- E. S. (Chaucer) Elliott
- Earl Walter Seibert
- Ebenezer Ralston (Ebbie) Goodfellow
- Ed Belfour
- Ed Chynoweth
- Edgar Laprade
- Edouard (Newsy) Lalonde
- Edward (Eddie, Fast Eddie) Giacomin
- Edward George (Eddie) Gerard
- Edward M. Snider
- Edward Reginald (Reg) Noble
- Edward William (Eddie) Shore
- Elmer James Lach
- Emile (Butch) Bouchard
- Emile P. Francis
- Ernest (Ernie) Russell
- Ernest (Moose) Johnson
- F. J. (Mickey) Ion
- Father David Bauer
- Ferdinand Charles (Fernie) Flaman
- Foster W. Hewitt
- Francis (Frank) McGee
- Francis Charles (Frank) Brimsek
- Francis M. (King) Clancy
- Francis Nelson
- Francis William (Frank) Mahovlich
- Francois X. (Frank) Boucher
- Frank A. Griffiths
- Frank A. Patrick
- Frank Buckland
- Frank C. Foyston
- Frank Calder
- Frank D. Smith
- Frank Dilio
- Frank Fredrickson
- Frank J. Selke
- Frank Nighbor
- Frank Rankin
- Frank S. Mathers
- Frank Udvari
- Frank Xavier (Moose) Goheen
- Fred C. Waghorne (builder) n/a
- Fred G. (Steamer) Maxwell
- Fred J. Hume
- Fred Shero
- Frederick (Cyclone) Taylor
- Frederick Hugh (Hughie) Lehman
- Frederick Page
- Frederick Whitcroft
- Fredrick (Fred) Scanlan
- G. A. (Al) Leader
- Gen. John R. Kilpatrick
- George (Buck) Boucher
- George (Punch) Imlach
- George Edward (Chief) Armstrong
- George Hainsworth
- George Hayes
- George McNamara
- George Reginald (Red) Horner
- George Richardson
- George S. Dudley
- George V. Brown
- George William Hay
- Georges Vezina
- Gerald Michael (Gerry) Cheevers
- Geraldine Heaney
- Gilbert (Gil) Perreault
- Glen Sather
- Glenn Anderson
- Glenn Henry Hall
- Gordon (Gordie) Howe
- Gordon Allan (Phat) Wilson
- Gordon Arthur Drillon
- Gordon Blanchard (Duke) Keats
- Gordon Roberts
- Gordon W. Juckes
- Grant Fuhr
- Gunther Sabetzki
- Guy Damien Lafleur
- Guy Gerard Lapointe
- Hamilton Livingston (Billy) Gilmour
- Harley Hotchkiss
- Harold (Harry) Oliver
- Harold E. Ballard
- Harold Hugh (Harry) Cameron
- Harold Joseph (Bullet Joe) Simpson
- Harrold M (Harry) Hyland
- Harry (Apple Cheeks) Lumley
- Harry (Hap) Holmes
- Harry (Rat) Westwick
- Harry E. (Moose) Watson
- Harry J. Sinden
- Harry L. (Punch) Broadbent
- Harry Percival (Whipper) Watson
- Harvey (Busher) Jackson
- Harvey Pulford
- Hector (Toe) Blake
- Henry Judah (Harry) Trihey
- Henry Vernon (Harry) Howell
- Herb Brooks
- Herbert (Herbie) Lewis
- Herbert Martin (Herb) Gardiner
- Herbert William (Buddy) O’Connor
- Hobart Amery Hare (Hobey) Baker
- Howard William (Howie) Morenz
- Hubert George (Bill) Quackenbush
- Ian “Scotty” Morrison
- Igor Larionov
- Irvine Wallace (Ace) Bailey
- Ivan Wilfred (Ching) Johnson
- J. A. (Jack) Butterfield
- J. A. (Jimmy) Dunn
- J. Ambrose O’Brien
- J. C. V. (Jim) Hendy
- J. Cooper Smeaton
- J. D. (Jack) Ruttan
- J. F. (Bunny) Ahearne
- Jacques Gerard Lemaire
- James D. Norris
- James Dickenson (Dick) Irvin
- James Henry (Jimmy) Gardner
- James Norris Sr.
- Jari Pekka Kurri
- Jean Arthur Beliveau
- Jean Baptiste (Jack) Laviolette
- Jim Devellano
- Jim Gregory
- Joe Nieuwendyk
- Joe Sakic
- John A. Ziegler, Jr.
- John Bower (Bouse) Hutton
- John C. (Jack) Marshall
- John Calverley (Jake) Milford
- John D’Amico
- John G. Ashley
- John James (Jack) Adams
- John L. (Jack) Gibson
- John Mariucci
- John P. Bickell
- John Paul (Johnny) Bucyk
- John Phillip (Jack) Walker
- John Proctor (Jack) Darragh
- John Ross Robertson
- John Sherratt (Black Jack) Stewart
- John William (Johnny) Bower
- Joseph Cattarinich
- Joseph Gilbert Yvon (Jean) Ratelle
- Joseph Henri (Pocket Rocket) Richard
- Joseph Henri Maurice (The Rocket) Richard
- Joseph Henry (Joe) Hall
- Joseph Jacques (Jake the Snake) Plante
- Joseph Jacques Hughes Laperriere
- Joseph Mullen
- Jospeph Lynn Patrick
- Keith Allen
- Kenneth Joseph (Kenny) Reardon
- Kenneth Wayne Dryden
- Lanny McDonald
- Larry Murphy
- Larry Robinson
- Leo J. V. Dandurand
- Leo Joseph Boivin
- Leonard Patrick (Red) Kelly
- Lester Patrick
- Lionel Conacher
- Lloyd Turner
- Lord (of Preston) Stanley
- Lorne John (Gump) Worsley
- Lou Lamoriello
- Luc Robitaille
- M. I. (Matt) Pavelich
- Maj. Frederic McLaughlin
- Marcel Elphege Dionne
- Marcel Pronovost
- Mario Lemieux
- Mark Howe
- Mark Messier
- Martin (Marty) Walsh
- Martin A. (Marty) Barry
- Mats Sundin
- Maurice Joseph (Joe) Malone
- Maxwell Herbert Lloyd Bentley
- Mervyn (Red) Dutton
- Michael (Mike) Grant
- Michael J. Rodden
- Michel Goulet
- Mike Bossy
- Mike Gartner
- Mike Ilitch
- Miles Gilbert (Tim) Horton
- Milton Conrad (Milt) Schmidt
- Monsignor Athol (Père) Murray
- Murray Bert Olmstead
- Murray Costello
- Neil McNeil Colville
- Neil P. Armstrong
- Nelson (Old Poison) Stewart
- Norman R. (Bud) Poile
- Norman Victor Alexander (Norm) Ullman
- Oliver Levi Seibert
- Pat LaFontaine
- Patrick Joseph (Paddy) Moran
- Patrick Roy
- Paul Coffey
- Paul Loicq
- Pavel Bure
- Percy LeSueur
- Peter Stastny
- Philip Anthony (Phil) Esposito
- Philip D. Ross
- Pierre Paul Pilote
- R. A. (Red) Storey
- R. W. (Bobby) Hewitson
- Ralph (Cooney) Weiland
- Ray Scapinello
- Raymond Bourque
- Reginald (Hooley) Smith
- Richard R. (Dickie) Boon
- Richard Winston (Dickie) Moore
- Robert (Bob) LeBel
- Robert Blake Theodore (Ted) Lindsay
- Robert Earle (Bobby) Clarke
- Robert Gordon (Bobby) Orr
- Robert Marvin (Bobby) Hull
- Rod Langway
- Rodrigue Gabriel (Rod) Gilbert
- Roger Paul Neilson
- Ron Francis
- Roy (Shrimp) Worters
- Roy Conacher
- Rudy Pilous
- Russell (Barney) Stanley
- Russell (Dubbie) Bowie
- Sam Pollock
- Samuel Russell (Rusty) Crawford
- Scott Niedermayer
- Scott Stevens
- Scotty Bowman
- Sen. Donat Raymond
- Sen. Hartland deM. Molson
- Serge Aubrey Savard
- Seymour H., III Knox
- Sidney Gerald (Sid) Abel
- Silas Seth (Si) Griffis
- Sir Montagu Allan
- Sprague Cleghorn
- Stanley (Stan) Mikita
- Stephen John Shutt
- Steve Yzerman
- Sydney Harris (Syd) Howe
- Sylvio Mantha
- T. F. (Tommy) Lockhart
- T. Franklin Ahearn
- T. P. (Tommy) Gorman
- Terrance Gordon (Terry) Sawchuk
- Theodre Samuel (Ted Teeder) Kennedy
- Thomas Christian (Tom) Johnson
- Thomas Dunderdale
- Thomas J. Smith
- Thomas N. (Tommy) Phillips
- Thomas N. Ivan
- Valeri Kharlamov
- Viacheslav Fetisov
- Vladislav Aleksandrovich Tretiak
- W. L. (Bill) Chadwick
- W. M. (Bill) Jennings
- Walter (Babe) Pratt
- Walter A. Brown
- Walter Bush
- Walter Edward (Turk) Broda
- Wayne Gretzky
- Weston W. Sr. Adams
- Wilfred Thomas (Shorty) Green
- William (Bill) Cook
- William (Bill) Hanley
- William (Bill) John Smith
- William (Bill) Mosienko
- William (Billy) Burch
- William Alexander (Bill) Gadsby
- William Charles (Bill) Barber
- William George (Billy) McGimsie
- William H. (Hod) Stuart
- William M. Northey
- William Mailes (Bill) Cowley
- William Milton (Riley) Hern
- William Ronald (Bill) Durnan
- William Thayer Tutt
- William W. Wirtz
- Woody Dumart
- Yvan Serge (Roadrunner) Cournoyer
Posts Tagged New Jersey Devils
The NHL will hold their draft lottery drawing tonight at 8:00 PM EST. The odds of obtaining the first overall pick are as follows:
1st – 25.0% – Buffalo Sabres
2nd – 18.8% – Florida Panthers
3rd – 14.2% – Edmonton Oilers
4th – 10.7% – Calgary Flames
5th – 8.1% – NY Islanders
6th – 6.2% – Vancouver Canucks
7th – 4.7% – Carolina Hurricanes
8th – 3.6% – Toronto Maple Leafs
9th – 2.7% – Winnipeg Jets
10th – 2.1% – Anaheim Ducks (via Ottawa)
11th – 1.5% – New Jersey Devils (Forfeit pick but are included in the drawing)
12th – 1.1% – Nashville Predators
13th – 0.8% – Phoenix Coyotes
14th – 0.5% – Washington Capitals
If the NJ Devils win the lottery, the NHL will hold a re-draw. The Devils will select 30th overall.
The Islanders have until June 1st to decide if they will keep their 2014 first round pick or send it to the Sabres as part of the Thomas Vanek – Matt Moulson trade. If the Islanders keep the pick, the Sabres will get their 2015 first round pick.
- Ken Warren: Senators Jason Spezza was non-committal about what is next. He added that both he and Bryan Murray will need some time to “reflect.” Wayne Scanlan: Spezza said that he can see himself with the Senators long-term, but wants to reflect before thinking about a new contract. He has a no-trade clause in his current deal. (expires at the end of next season)
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Jason Spezza on trade talk.
“I’m not naive to the talk. I’ve been asked the question lots,” said Spezza. “There’s a lot of reflecting to go on here during the months leading up to next season and I’m sure that will be a topic.”
The Ducks and Blues have shown interest. The asking price would be a first round pick, a player who could play in the NHL right away and a top prospect. Spezza has a no-trade clause.
“That’s one of the things you have in your contract and it’s there for a reason,” Spezza said about the clause.
- Ken Warren of the Ottawa Citizen: If the Senators are going to trade Jason Spezza, it would likely cost them Ales Hemsky.
“I want to play with a good centre,” said Hemsky, scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. “That’s the most important for me. Jason been great to me. I had a blast to play with him. I would like to know what they want to do.”
“I came here with high expectations and in the end, we didn’t make it,” said Hemsky.
“We’re having meetings now (between his agent and Senators general manager Bryan Murray) and we’ll see what’s going on. I’ve got to know what’s the future here and what they’re thinking and I will go from there. It’s just a few talks, nothing really big. I’m not rushing anything. I will see my options.”
- Wayne Scanlan: Senators Milan Michalek: ”I love it here and I’d like to stay but we’ll see what happens.”
- Rich Chere: Devils Jaromir Jagr said that his familiarity with the organization and their system would be a factor in where he plays next year: ”When I think about where I’m going to play next year it will be a big factor for me. Hopefully I come back and I’ll have better numbers and help the team make playoffs.”
- Rich Chere: Devils pending RFA Adam Larsson: ”I’m going home and see what I’m going to do. For sure there’s been some ups and downs, but I’m still a young guy.”
- Tom Gulitti of the Bergon Record: Indications are that the Devils will try to re-sign Marek Zidlicky.
“I’d like to stay, but we’ll see,” Zidlicky said. “That’s up to Lou. That’s what I said (last summer), I’d like to say, but it’s not only my decision.”
It is unclear what they will do with Mark Fayne.
“I would love to, so I hope so,” Fayne said of re-signing. “But at the same time, who knows?”
There are questions on what they will do with defenseman Bryce Salvador (one-year left) and Anton Volchenkov (two-years left).
“All personnel questions are for Lou. I think him and I will sit down like we always do at the end of the year and look at things like that.”
“I think every NHL team needs to have younger guys in the lineup,” DeBoer continued. “That’s the norm across the board. You need young people, you need young legs. You can’t have a whole team of them, but I think you need those young players.”
If they will look to trade or buy out Salvador and/or Volchenkov remains to be seen.
“I think whatever changes you make have to be for the better,” Lamoriello said. “So, whenever you can get better, you make changes. If you can make the right changes to get getter, we certainly will. As far as ‘have to,’ you’d like to do a lot of things, but you might not be able to. So, we’ll do the best we can to make us better.”
- Jason Gregor: Blues Federko: ”I believe Backes will start for sure. Oshie is a bit of a question because it was a head injury, but I expect he’ll play.” … ”It looks like Berglund will miss this series so someone like Ott, Paajarvi or Morrow will have to step an produce in that spot.”
- Adrian Dater: It is unlikely that John Mitchell will play in the first round. They will likely be without two of their top three centers for the series.
- Katie Carrera: Capitals Jack Hillen confirmed that he suffered a concussion when he collided with Alex Ovechkin. He still has symptoms.
- Adam Vingan: Capitals Brooks Laich did not pass his exit physical.
- John Vogl: Sabres Tyler Myers has two broken ribs, but hopes to be able to go to the World Championships and play with Canada.
- Tom Gulitti: Devils Ryane Clowe confirmed that he suffered another concussion: “Hopefully it’s not long term. I don’t know”
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: The Jets have to trade Evander Kane, but they won’t get full value for him. Could the Jets and Canucks work out a deal, Kane for Alex Edler and a prospect?
The Red Wings are hoping to get Henrik Zetterberg back in the first round (late), but more likely for the second round if they make it that far. Defenseman Jonathan Ericsson could be on the same timeline.
Matheson is sure the Oilers will offer Matt Greene a contract if he hits the open market.
- Harvey Fialkov: Panthers GM Dale Tallon said that he would like to add two experienced defenseman at the draft. Tallon’s No. 1 priority is to add a “sniper” for Aleksander Barkov or Nick Bjugstad lines, as well as to help out on the power play.
- Harvey Fialkov: Panther GM Dale Tallon said he will try to re-sign Tom Gilbert and Jesse Winchester.
- Dan Rosen: Devils Martin Brodeur isn’t ruling out a return to New Jersey. Hasn’t spoken with GM Lou Lamoriello. He believes the Devils will be in good hands with Cory Schneider. Tom Gulitti: Brodeur said that Schneider will be the Devils clear cut No. 1 goalie, and that if he returned, it would be as a backup. Katie Strang: If Brodeur takes a backup role, it won’t be for a marginal team, ”It’s going to be a team that contends for the Stanley Cup.”
- Rich Chere: Martin Brodeur on being a GM: “That’s something that interests me, but I don’t think I’m ready for that. I’m still in the game.”
- Dan Rosen: Brodeur: “Just the thought about playing against the Devils will kill me. That’s one of the things that bothers me the most.”
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Sabres GM Tim Murray is willing to trade almost anyone. He’s been shopping Chris Stewart, Christian Ehrhoff, Luke Adam and Drew Stafford. They will also listen to offers on Marcus Foligno, Johan Larsson and Chad Ruhwedel.
“He’s just open for business,” said a league executive about Murray before the weekend. “He hasn’t drafted any of these current guys.”
Pat LaFontaine interviewed 15 people before deciding on Tim Murray.
Coyotes assistant Brad Treliving may be one of the top candidates for the Canucks GM position.
The Penguins and Blackhawks were close to trading for Ryan Kesler at the deadline. Trading Kesler could be revisited at the draft.
There could be lots of changes in Carolina this offseason.
Penguins coach Dan Bylsma will be under the microscope if they don’t go far into the playoffs.
The Kings could be a landing spot for Mike Cammalleri.
John Ferguson Jr. could be the top candidate to replace Brendan Shanahan.
One option for Martin Brodeur next season is to mentor Marc-Andre Fleury in Pittsburgh. The Islanders also need a goaltender.
Panthers GM Dale Tallon may be on the hotseat. Garrioch suggests bringing in Doug MacLean as president to help Tallon.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: The Senators will have to decide if they want to re-sign pending UFAs Milan Michalek, Ales Hemsky and Matt Kassian. One year away from free agency will be Jason Spezza, Bobby Ryan, Craig Anderson, Clarke MacArthur and Marc Methot. Spezza knows changes are coming.
“I don’t look at it that way. I think that when you do have a season of disappointment there’s going to be change in the room. This isn’t going to be the same group next year and we’re all well aware of that,” said Spezza, in his first year as captain.
- Steve Simmons: Dave Nonis’ inclination may have been to keep Randy Carlyle as coach. Brendan Shanahan may not think that way. Reports from New Jersey may be that Shanahan would like Peter DeBoer as they coach. Simmons likes the Leafs core of Phil Kessel, James van Riemsdyk, Jonathan Bernier, Tyler Bozak, Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner, but the contracts of Dion Phaneuf, Joffrey Lupul and David Clarkson will make it hard for them to build around their young core.
- George Richards: Panthers defenseman Ed Jovanoski said wants to play year. The Panthers will have to pay him $4 million whether he plays or not. Steve Simmons: (responding) The Panthers will look to trade Jovanovski if possible. They are fed up with his lack of leadership as he’s not showing the kids the way.
- Hockey Night in Canada: Hotstove Tonight. Panel discussing the Canucks, Maple Leafs and Predators.
- Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province: Canuck Ryan Kesler has already asked for a trade out of Vancouver. The organization may now realize that he needs to be dealt. Pierre LeBrun on an ESPN podcast:
“In terms of Kesler, not only do I think that he’ll be traded, but I think maybe even the onus will have changed.
It began with him asking for a trade, but now I would say that the organization probably realizes that they need him out.
Not because he’s a bad person or a bad player, but because he’s their best asset to move. You’ll get a lot for him. The Anaheim Ducks and Penguins were extremely interested in him, but couldn’t convince Gillis to do it.
Now you add in a whole pile of other teams at the June draft and I think that’s the first trade you make if you’re the new GM of the Canucks.”
Botchford thinks that if the Jets are going to move Evander Kane, the Canucks should be all in. The Canucks need to hope the Kings don’t step in.
- Tom Gulitti of the Bergon Record: Devils coach Peter DeBoer hasn’t revealed his goaltending plans. Could Martin Brodeur already played his last game as a Devil?
“Not really. I’ll be honest – I haven’t thought about that game,” Brodeur said. “I might have played my last game here. Who knows? I’m not sure what’s going to happen over the weekend. We’ll see. It’s something that we’ll have to talk about.”
It is possible that Brodeur does return to the Devils next season, but he understands the if they want to move on without him and run with Cory Schneider as their No. 1
“I don’t expect them to come running after me,” Brodeur said. “We’ll see. Again, that’s a situation I have to be OK with regardless of it it’s here or somewhere else. But I have to talk to a lot of people in the off-season and make my own decision. Regardless of if I stay or leave, the Devils are in unbelievable hands with Schneids.”
- Luke DeCock of the Raleigh News & Observer: Hurricanes Anton Khudobin appears set to be their No. 1 goalie next season. Trading Cam Ward and his $6.3 million salary will be their top priority. The Hurricanes may also look at trading Eric Staal. Head coach Kirk Muller could be fired after the season.
- Ian Mendes: Senators coach Paul MacLean said he hasn’t talked to owner Eugene Melney or GM Bryan Murray about his job security. He doesn’t expect to talk to them until after the season.
- Renaud Lavoie: Jaroslav Halak’s agent Allen Walsh: ”Jaro never at anytime said he didn’t want to start against St. Louis. A private conversation between a player and coach should stay private and not be discussed with the media. I am bewildered that a coach would break that trust especially when those comments the coach publicly attributed to Jaro are not accurate. It’s the coach who makes the decision on who plays in the games, not the players.”
- Bob McKenzie: Coaching survey continued. 16 coaches responding to Hart, Vezina and Norris awards. “Hart: Crosby unanimous, 16 for 16. ANA’s Getzlaf clear runner up, PHI’s Giroux 3rd. No one else close tho Pavelski, Rask, Chara mentioned. Vezina: BOS’s Rask a clear No. 1 (10 for 16) with COL’s Varlamov solid 2nd. MTL’s Price and TB’s Bishop in virtual dead heat for 3rd spot. Norris: Most hotly contested award. CHI’s Keith No. 1, appearing on 13 of 16 ballots with a high of five 1st place votes. BOS’s Chara (four 1st place votes) and NSH’s Weber (three 1st place votes) were virtually tied in voting points behind Keith. NYR McDonagh, MIN Suter, STL Pietrangelo and LA Doughty also got one first-place vote each to place 4th thru 7th with OTT Karlsson at 8th.”
- Kevin Kurz: When asked if Antti Niemi is Sharks guy going into the playoffs, coach McLellan said: “Nemo is one of our guys going into the playoffs.”
- Aaron Vickers: The Flames tied an NHL record by having their 49th one goal game last night. Tied with the 2010-11 Panthers.
- Mike Morreale: Consecutive playoff seasons: Bruins 29, Blackhawks 28; Blues 25; Canadiens 24; Red Wings 23.
- Mike Harrington: Sabres Ted Nolan confirms that Matt Hackett will start their final three games.
- Devils PR: Cory Schneider will start in net for the Devils tonight.
- Jim Cerny: Henrik Lundqvist will start in net for the Rangers tonight.
- Lou Korac: Ryan Miller will start in net for the Blues tonight.
- Randy Miller of NJ.com: It’s very likely the Devils will make a strong attempt to sign Cory Schneider to a long-term contract. His deal expires after next season. If they are not able to sign him to an extension, they could look to trade him before the start of next season and possibly re-sign Martin Brodeur. Schneider has said he’s not sure if he’d sign an extension this summer if an offer was fair or if he’d rather play out next season. Miller spoke with Schneider’s agent, Mike Liut. (many questions/answers in link above)
Q: That sounds like you might think Schneider playing out his contract could be the better route.
Liut: We don’t know what New Jersey’s thinking. Let’s not be presumptuous. When I get into these conversations with writers, the one thing that scares me is it comes off that Cory is presumptuously deciding today that is what it’s going to be and we’re making decisions. We don’t have anything. We have a clean slate. To say that we haven’t made any decisions would be to overstate our position. There’s no offer.”
- Arthur Staple of Newsday: Evgeni Nabokov would like to continue playing for the Islanders. The Islanders and Nabokov’s camp won’t talk until after the season. He could do a one-year deal. The Isles may look to acquire a young but experience goalie to be their No. 1 next year.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Blues Derek Roy likely won’t be back next year and they could use the $4 million that will be off the books to attempt re-sign Ryan Miller. The Jets may look to deal either Evander Kane or Dustin Byfuglien to shake up their core.
- David Pagnotta: Pagnotta thinks that trade talks involving Jets Evander Kane will pick up this offseason. The Jets will look to retool.
- Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun: Talk of whether or not Evander Kane will be with the Jets next year has begun again. He has been in the rumor for years, dating back to 2011 and a potential deal with the Flyers. Other teams have also been part of the rumors. It’s not known if Kane has asked for a trade. Kane carries a $5.25 million cap hit for the next four seasons. The Jets could keep Kane and hope that he matures both on and off the ice. The Jets could also tire of the situation and move him like the Bruins did with Tyler Seguin.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”Go down the list, Nonis may be looking to dangle some guys like Lupul. Maybe he needs to shake up the core to help Bolland” … ”I think there is a strong appetite for Leaf fans, and there should be, to bring back Dave Bolland“
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”Maybe we need to start talking about likes of Lupul, Phaneuf, go down the list. Some of these guys that have been unable to deliver” … ”Maybe they [players mentioned in previous tweet] should be part of the discussion of change?”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”McClement for the most part has been a good player for the Leafs & mgmt will want him back.” … ”Raymond too, but you won’t get that guy back for $1 mill. He’ll be $2.5-$3.”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”I think the Leafs believe they have players in the AHL that can step in and fill Kulemin’s role”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”If I’m Nonis I’m worried. Sure I can fire the coach, but would a new guy fire up and ignite this bunch?” … ”Leiweke said to me, a few months back, that he was very supportive of hockey ops and would stay away”
- Murray Pam: Agent Darryl Wolski is reporting that Doug Gilmour is leaving the Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) to coach Lev Praha of the KHL.
- Matt Kalman: Bruins coach Claude Julien will rest players this week. All players will travel with the team.
- CapGeek: There will be quite a few teams that will have bonus overages this year that will be carried over to next year. The Bruins will likely have the biggest cap penalty.
- Bob Duff: Red Wings GM Ken Holland said that Henrik Zetterberg (back surgery) should be able to start skating next week. The earliest he could return to the lineup would be late in the first round.
- Bob Duff: Red Wings GM Ken Holland indicated that Stephen Weiss is likely done for the year after many setbacks from his sports hernia surgery.
- David Alter: Maple Leafs Jonathan Bernier will be out three weeks with an MCL strain.
- Chris Johnston: Maple Leafs Joffrey Lupul skated in track pants yesterday morning. Not expected to play tonight.
- Edmonton Oilers: Oilers coach Dallas Eakins doesn’t expect Nail Yakupov to play again this season.
- Lou Korac: Blues Vladimir Tarasenko skated yesterday.
- Lou Korac: Blues Jordan Leopold will be in the lineup tonight. Barrett Jackman returns to the lineup, with Carlo Colaiacovo sitting.
- Rich Chere: Both Devils Patrik Elias and Adam Henrique left last night’s game.
- Ottawa Senators: Senators Ales Hemsky left last night’s game with an upper-body injury.
- Eric Stephens: Ducks Frederik Andersen left last night’s game with an upper-body injury.
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Ryan Callahan’s agent, Steve Bartlett, said that he spoke with Lightning GM Steve Yzerman over the weekend, with Yzerman saying he’d like to talk contract extension after the season.
“Yeah, we’d love to sign him,” said Yzerman. “He’s a good fit, a good person, a good player, has style of play that really complements our group well; he’s fit in really well. So we hope to sign him. But we won’t talk until after the year.”
It’s likely that John Tortorella will be fired by the Canucks after the season. There will also be the question whether or not to fire GM Mike Gillis. Both Tortorella and Gillis have four years left on their deals.
The Canadiens and Andrei Markov’s agent, Sergei Berezin, have continued contract talks.
“I met with Marc a couple of days ago when they were here [in Florida],” Berezin told ESPN.com Tuesday.
“I don’t think we’re in any rush to get anything done. I have an idea what they’re offering, they know what we want, and I don’t actually think we’re that far apart. I’m hopeful in the end it will work out.”
Jaromir Jagr’s agent, Petr Svoboda, met with Devils GM Lou Lamoriello a few days ago to talk about a contract extension. Talks will pick up after the season.
Contract talks between Peter Chiarelli and Jarome Iginla’s camp will wait until after the season.
Randy Carlyle’s future with the Maple Leafs could be in doubt if they miss the playoffs.
- Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press: Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff has some trade chips he could use after the season. Evander Kane would get them a big return, including roster players and picks/prospects. Tobias Enstrom could get a nice return, but they would need a frontline defender in return. Zach Bogosian’s stock might be down at the moment. Lawless wouldn’t move Brian Little or Andrew Ladd.
- Hope Smoke: Steve Simmons: ”I highly doubt that Gardiner will be dealt considering Nonis believes dealing young D is the biggest mistake a GM can make”
- Hope Smoke: Ray Ferraro: ”If Cal trades Giordano they get rid of their hardest competitor. Giordano embodies what you want from your leaders” … ”I hate the word lifer but Giordano is a lifer in Calgary” … ”If the Leafs want to acquire Giordano what can they trade back? Connor McDavid?” … ”I wouldn’t trade JVR for a top end D because you’re stealing from Peter to pay Paul”
- Corey Pronman: Sabres GM Tim Murray: ”If Ekblad is the best player available that we deem at the end of the year we’ll take Ekblad”
- John Vogl: Sabres GM Tim Murray said they are close to signing Jake McCabe and that he would likely report to Sabres and not to the AHL.
- Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger: Martin Brodeur is “80 percent sure” that he’ll play next season and hasn’t ruled out remaining with the Devils.
“I’m not closing (the door) here at all,” Brodeur told The Star-Ledger. “It will be a decision I’ll make after offers are brought to me. It might be July 1st or it might be way after July 1st.
“It all depends on what is on the table, whether it’s in New Jersey or somewhere else. I’m open-minded about it. I’m looking for specific things some teams probably can’t give me. And that’s understandable at my age. But if I feel I can play and people want me, we’ll see.”
“I’m not going to sit more than I sit this year. That’s not something I want,” Brodeur said. “If I come back, it’s not a question of money. It’s because I still love it and I still enjoy the game.
“And I want to be in a position to have another shot (at winning), no matter what role I’m in. To me it would seem empty to leave without having a chance of winning something. Hopefully it will be this year and that will change a lot about my decision and what I’m going to do in my future.”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “When you look at the 4 UFAs that the Leafs will key on are Bolland, McClement, Kulemin & Raymond” … “Bolland still identifies for me the identity that this team will play with.” … “It’s up to Bolland does he chase the dollars that will pay him $5 million elsewhere? That’s up to him” … “The only given that stays of those 4 UFAs is McClement and that’s only if Carlyle stays because of the appreciation RC has for him”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “How do you replace a man like Carlyle? Is there anyone better out there than Carlyle? Are Trotz or Laviolette better than him?” … “Do the Leafs look at Steve Spott or Luke Richardson? Those are drastic moves”
- Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: Predators Seth Jones thinks he could be ready to return on Friday.
“It’s a process. You think you’re good, and the brain will tell you otherwise sometimes,” Jones said. “There are steps that are required to come back and I’m kind of in the midst of those right now.”
- Bob McKenzie: Islanders owner Charles Wang is in talks to sell his majority stake in the team. Nothing is done, and no telling if it will get done. Talks are underway.
- Randy Miller of NJ.com: Devils Martin Brodeur appears more certain that he will play another season, and he may be warming to the idea of playing somewhere other than in New Jersey. When asked if he’s pretty sure he’ll play next year: “I think so,” the goalie responded. He’ll talk it over with his family in the offseason.
“I want to make sure I want to play and everybody’s on board if we decide to make a move,” Brodeur said. “I just can’t think about me when I decide.”
“My kids want me to play,” Brodeur said. “Actually, the twins want me to go to Minnesota, the other wants me to go play for Ottawa.”
His twins are at Shattuck-St.Mary’s in Minneapolis and is oldest son Anthony plays for Gatineau of the QMJHL.
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: ”I think Bryan Murray is really clear on Spezza. He wants him back. They can begin negotiating a new deal July 1st” … ”There is not a burning desire for Murray in worrying about what Spezza will want.”
- George Richards: (guessing and responding to a question) … Thinks that the Panthers would go the trade route for a winger over signing a free agent.
- Hope Smoke: Doug MacLean: ”Pretty well documented that the Sharks lose $15 mill a year.”
- John Shannon: Talks between the Sabres and Ted Nolan continue to get closer on a three year deal.
- Mike Harrington: Harrington (jokingly???) thinks it’s time to bubble wrap Ville Leino and tell him his season is over so he’s not.
- Igor Eronko: Talk is that Islanders prospect Kirill Petrov is willing to extend his Ak Bars KHL contract.