- Free Agents
- 2014 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2014 UFA Centers
- 2014 UFA Left Wingers
- 2014 UFA Right Wingers
- 2014 UFA Defenseman
- 2014 UFA Goalies
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- Yop Poll Archive
- Hall of Fame
- A. Joseph (Joe) Primeau
- Adam Oates
- Al Arbour
- Al MacInnis
- Albert Charles (Babe) Siebert
- Alex Connell
- Alexander Peter (Alex) Delvecchio
- Alfred E. (Alf) Smith
- Allan Herbert Stanley
- Allan M. (Scotty) Davidson
- Allan W. Pickard
- Anatoli V. Tarasov
- Anders Borje Salming
- Andrew James (Andy) Bathgate
- Andy Van Hellemond
- Angela James
- Angus D. Campbell
- Anthony James (Tony) Esposito
- Arthur Edmund (Art) Coulter
- Arthur F. Farrel
- Arthur Howie (Art) Ross
- Arthur M. Wirtz
- Aubrey V. (Dit) Clapper
- Aurel Emile Joliat
- Bernard Allan Federko
- Bernard Joseph Andre (Boom Boom) Geoffrion
- Bernard Marcel (Bernie) Parent
- Bill Torrey
- Blair Russel
- Bob Gainey
- Bob Johnson
- Bob Pulford
- Bobby Bauer
- Brendan Shanahan
- Brett Hull
- Brian Francis O’Neill
- Brian Kilrea
- Brian Leetch
- Bruce A. Norris
- Bruce Stuart
- Bryan Aldwyn Hextall
- Bryan Trottier
- Bun Cook
- Cam Neely
- Cammi Granato
- Capt. James T. Sutherland
- Carl P. Voss
- Cecil Henry (Babe) Dye
- Cecil R. (Tiny) Thompson
- Charles Adams
- Charles Graham Drinkwater
- Charles Hay
- Charles Joseph Sylvanus (Syl) Apps
- Charles Robert (Chuck) Gardiner
- Charles Thomas (Tom) Hooper
- Charles William (Charlie) Conacher
- Chris Chelios
- Clarence (Happy) Day
- Clarence S. Campbell
- Clark Gillies
- Claude C. Robinson
- Claude Earl (Chuck) Rayner
- Cliff Fletcher
- Clinton James Smith
- Clinton S. Benedict
- Conn Smythe
- Craig Patrick
- Cyril Joseph (Cy) Denneny
- Dale Hawerchuk
- Darryl Glen Sittler
- Daryl K. Seaman
- David (Sweeney) Schriner
- David Michael Keon
- Denis Potvin
- Denis Savard
- Dick Duff
- Didier Pitre
- Dino Ciccarelli
- Donald H. (Dan) Bain
- Doug Gilmour
- Douglas Bradford (Brad) Park
- Douglas Norman Harvey
- Douglas Wagner (Doug) Bentley
- Duncan McMillan (Mickey) MacKay
- E. S. (Chaucer) Elliott
- Earl Walter Seibert
- Ebenezer Ralston (Ebbie) Goodfellow
- Ed Belfour
- Ed Chynoweth
- Edgar Laprade
- Edouard (Newsy) Lalonde
- Edward (Eddie, Fast Eddie) Giacomin
- Edward George (Eddie) Gerard
- Edward M. Snider
- Edward Reginald (Reg) Noble
- Edward William (Eddie) Shore
- Elmer James Lach
- Emile (Butch) Bouchard
- Emile P. Francis
- Ernest (Ernie) Russell
- Ernest (Moose) Johnson
- F. J. (Mickey) Ion
- Father David Bauer
- Ferdinand Charles (Fernie) Flaman
- Foster W. Hewitt
- Francis (Frank) McGee
- Francis Charles (Frank) Brimsek
- Francis M. (King) Clancy
- Francis Nelson
- Francis William (Frank) Mahovlich
- Francois X. (Frank) Boucher
- Frank A. Griffiths
- Frank A. Patrick
- Frank Buckland
- Frank C. Foyston
- Frank Calder
- Frank D. Smith
- Frank Dilio
- Frank Fredrickson
- Frank J. Selke
- Frank Nighbor
- Frank Rankin
- Frank S. Mathers
- Frank Udvari
- Frank Xavier (Moose) Goheen
- Fred C. Waghorne (builder) n/a
- Fred G. (Steamer) Maxwell
- Fred J. Hume
- Fred Shero
- Frederick (Cyclone) Taylor
- Frederick Hugh (Hughie) Lehman
- Frederick Page
- Frederick Whitcroft
- Fredrick (Fred) Scanlan
- G. A. (Al) Leader
- Gen. John R. Kilpatrick
- George (Buck) Boucher
- George (Punch) Imlach
- George Edward (Chief) Armstrong
- George Hainsworth
- George Hayes
- George McNamara
- George Reginald (Red) Horner
- George Richardson
- George S. Dudley
- George V. Brown
- George William Hay
- Georges Vezina
- Gerald Michael (Gerry) Cheevers
- Geraldine Heaney
- Gilbert (Gil) Perreault
- Glen Sather
- Glenn Anderson
- Glenn Henry Hall
- Gordon (Gordie) Howe
- Gordon Allan (Phat) Wilson
- Gordon Arthur Drillon
- Gordon Blanchard (Duke) Keats
- Gordon Roberts
- Gordon W. Juckes
- Grant Fuhr
- Gunther Sabetzki
- Guy Damien Lafleur
- Guy Gerard Lapointe
- Hamilton Livingston (Billy) Gilmour
- Harley Hotchkiss
- Harold (Harry) Oliver
- Harold E. Ballard
- Harold Hugh (Harry) Cameron
- Harold Joseph (Bullet Joe) Simpson
- Harrold M (Harry) Hyland
- Harry (Apple Cheeks) Lumley
- Harry (Hap) Holmes
- Harry (Rat) Westwick
- Harry E. (Moose) Watson
- Harry J. Sinden
- Harry L. (Punch) Broadbent
- Harry Percival (Whipper) Watson
- Harvey (Busher) Jackson
- Harvey Pulford
- Hector (Toe) Blake
- Henry Judah (Harry) Trihey
- Henry Vernon (Harry) Howell
- Herb Brooks
- Herbert (Herbie) Lewis
- Herbert Martin (Herb) Gardiner
- Herbert William (Buddy) O’Connor
- Hobart Amery Hare (Hobey) Baker
- Howard William (Howie) Morenz
- Hubert George (Bill) Quackenbush
- Ian “Scotty” Morrison
- Igor Larionov
- Irvine Wallace (Ace) Bailey
- Ivan Wilfred (Ching) Johnson
- J. A. (Jack) Butterfield
- J. A. (Jimmy) Dunn
- J. Ambrose O’Brien
- J. C. V. (Jim) Hendy
- J. Cooper Smeaton
- J. D. (Jack) Ruttan
- J. F. (Bunny) Ahearne
- Jacques Gerard Lemaire
- James D. Norris
- James Dickenson (Dick) Irvin
- James Henry (Jimmy) Gardner
- James Norris Sr.
- Jari Pekka Kurri
- Jean Arthur Beliveau
- Jean Baptiste (Jack) Laviolette
- Jim Devellano
- Jim Gregory
- Joe Nieuwendyk
- Joe Sakic
- John A. Ziegler, Jr.
- John Bower (Bouse) Hutton
- John C. (Jack) Marshall
- John Calverley (Jake) Milford
- John D’Amico
- John G. Ashley
- John James (Jack) Adams
- John L. (Jack) Gibson
- John Mariucci
- John P. Bickell
- John Paul (Johnny) Bucyk
- John Phillip (Jack) Walker
- John Proctor (Jack) Darragh
- John Ross Robertson
- John Sherratt (Black Jack) Stewart
- John William (Johnny) Bower
- Joseph Cattarinich
- Joseph Gilbert Yvon (Jean) Ratelle
- Joseph Henri (Pocket Rocket) Richard
- Joseph Henri Maurice (The Rocket) Richard
- Joseph Henry (Joe) Hall
- Joseph Jacques (Jake the Snake) Plante
- Joseph Jacques Hughes Laperriere
- Joseph Mullen
- Jospeph Lynn Patrick
- Keith Allen
- Kenneth Joseph (Kenny) Reardon
- Kenneth Wayne Dryden
- Lanny McDonald
- Larry Murphy
- Larry Robinson
- Leo J. V. Dandurand
- Leo Joseph Boivin
- Leonard Patrick (Red) Kelly
- Lester Patrick
- Lionel Conacher
- Lloyd Turner
- Lord (of Preston) Stanley
- Lorne John (Gump) Worsley
- Lou Lamoriello
- Luc Robitaille
- M. I. (Matt) Pavelich
- Maj. Frederic McLaughlin
- Marcel Elphege Dionne
- Marcel Pronovost
- Mario Lemieux
- Mark Howe
- Mark Messier
- Martin (Marty) Walsh
- Martin A. (Marty) Barry
- Mats Sundin
- Maurice Joseph (Joe) Malone
- Maxwell Herbert Lloyd Bentley
- Mervyn (Red) Dutton
- Michael (Mike) Grant
- Michael J. Rodden
- Michel Goulet
- Mike Bossy
- Mike Gartner
- Mike Ilitch
- Miles Gilbert (Tim) Horton
- Milton Conrad (Milt) Schmidt
- Monsignor Athol (Père) Murray
- Murray Bert Olmstead
- Murray Costello
- Neil McNeil Colville
- Neil P. Armstrong
- Nelson (Old Poison) Stewart
- Norman R. (Bud) Poile
- Norman Victor Alexander (Norm) Ullman
- Oliver Levi Seibert
- Pat LaFontaine
- Patrick Joseph (Paddy) Moran
- Patrick Roy
- Paul Coffey
- Paul Loicq
- Pavel Bure
- Percy LeSueur
- Peter Stastny
- Philip Anthony (Phil) Esposito
- Philip D. Ross
- Pierre Paul Pilote
- R. A. (Red) Storey
- R. W. (Bobby) Hewitson
- Ralph (Cooney) Weiland
- Ray Scapinello
- Raymond Bourque
- Reginald (Hooley) Smith
- Richard R. (Dickie) Boon
- Richard Winston (Dickie) Moore
- Robert (Bob) LeBel
- Robert Blake Theodore (Ted) Lindsay
- Robert Earle (Bobby) Clarke
- Robert Gordon (Bobby) Orr
- Robert Marvin (Bobby) Hull
- Rod Langway
- Rodrigue Gabriel (Rod) Gilbert
- Roger Paul Neilson
- Ron Francis
- Roy (Shrimp) Worters
- Roy Conacher
- Rudy Pilous
- Russell (Barney) Stanley
- Russell (Dubbie) Bowie
- Sam Pollock
- Samuel Russell (Rusty) Crawford
- Scott Niedermayer
- Scott Stevens
- Scotty Bowman
- Sen. Donat Raymond
- Sen. Hartland deM. Molson
- Serge Aubrey Savard
- Seymour H., III Knox
- Sidney Gerald (Sid) Abel
- Silas Seth (Si) Griffis
- Sir Montagu Allan
- Sprague Cleghorn
- Stanley (Stan) Mikita
- Stephen John Shutt
- Steve Yzerman
- Sydney Harris (Syd) Howe
- Sylvio Mantha
- T. F. (Tommy) Lockhart
- T. Franklin Ahearn
- T. P. (Tommy) Gorman
- Terrance Gordon (Terry) Sawchuk
- Theodre Samuel (Ted Teeder) Kennedy
- Thomas Christian (Tom) Johnson
- Thomas Dunderdale
- Thomas J. Smith
- Thomas N. (Tommy) Phillips
- Thomas N. Ivan
- Valeri Kharlamov
- Viacheslav Fetisov
- Vladislav Aleksandrovich Tretiak
- W. L. (Bill) Chadwick
- W. M. (Bill) Jennings
- Walter (Babe) Pratt
- Walter A. Brown
- Walter Bush
- Walter Edward (Turk) Broda
- Wayne Gretzky
- Weston W. Sr. Adams
- Wilfred Thomas (Shorty) Green
- William (Bill) Cook
- William (Bill) Hanley
- William (Bill) John Smith
- William (Bill) Mosienko
- William (Billy) Burch
- William Alexander (Bill) Gadsby
- William Charles (Bill) Barber
- William George (Billy) McGimsie
- William H. (Hod) Stuart
- William M. Northey
- William Mailes (Bill) Cowley
- William Milton (Riley) Hern
- William Ronald (Bill) Durnan
- William Thayer Tutt
- William W. Wirtz
- Woody Dumart
- Yvan Serge (Roadrunner) Cournoyer
Posts Tagged Jonas Hiller
- Pierre LeBrun: If the Predators don’t get good news regarding Pekka Rinne’s hip, they could start making calls again for a goalie. They have spoken with the Ducks about Jonas Hiller. Capitals GM George McPhee may not be interested in moving Michal Neuvirth unless it’s a really good offer, think at least a top-four defenseman.
- Darren Dreger: Four or five teams have kicked tires on Flames Mikael Backlund. The Flames are willing to trade him.
- Darren Dreger: The Hurricanes have offered Tuomo Ruutu and Jiri Tlusty to teams in search for a puck-moving defenseman. Luke DeCock: Shouldn’t be a surprise the Hurricanes are offering Ruutu and his $4.75 million contract around, too easily knocked off the puck. Offering up Tlusty may indicate a lack of interest in re-signing.
- James Gordon: Senators GM Bryan Murray said he isn’t inclined to make a move, a solution will be found within.
- George Sipple: Red Wings GM Ken Holland on Gustav Nyquist: “He’s playing tomorrow night, so he’s here for the year.”
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Two sources had said that Senators GM Bryan Murray is working the phones trying to find a top four defenseman that would be able to step in right away.
“I get the sense Murray would like to do something,” said a league executive before the visit by the Wild. “It might even just be a change for the sake of change.”
The Senators also need to find a fit in their top 6 as Milan Michalek has struggled, but they hope he will turn it around. The defenseman market is thin and lots of teams are looking to improve in that area. The Rangers are willing to trade Michael Del Zotto, the Penguins could move Matt Niskanen and Stars could move Vernon Fiddler. The Senators have $8.409 million in cap space, but Murray would have move out some salary in a deal.
- Craig Custance of ESPN: Matching team needs with trade options. Predators: Might need a goalie – Jose Theodore, Jonas Hiller and Michal Neuvirth. They will likely wait to see what Rinne’s results are from his MRI next week. Capitals: Could use a top 4 defenseman. Senators – A puck moving defenseman. Del Zotto could be an option. Blues – Goalie upgrade with Ryan Miller being mentioned. Red Wings – clear roster space for Gustav Nyquist and clearing some cap space. (written before DeKeyser was put on LTIR, Gustav to be called up)
“I’d like to get Nyquist up,” Red Wings GM Ken Holland said when we chatted Tuesday. “I was hoping to make a trade. Obviously, I put our guys on waivers. Other than big trades, nobody really wants to add money right now.”
- TSN Radio: Bob McKenzie: The Flyers would want to a really good defenseman if they trade Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier.
- Hope Smoke: McKenzie: ”Philly’s not shopping Schenn (or Couturier) but they know that to get what they want they need to move one of those guys. Holmgren is liable to trade anybody so Brayden Schenn isn’t an untouchable. They want a really good defenseman in return”
- TSN Radio: Darren Dreger: Rangers GM Glen Sather is making calls and taking them on Michael Del Zotto.
- Patrick Kearns of the Fourth Period: Kearns thinks the Rangers should hold onto Del Zotto as his value is at an all-time low. If they were to move Del Zotto, they may be comfortable with Dylan McIlrath being able to step in a bottom pairing role.
- Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe: The odds are slim that Ted Nolan will be behind the bench for the Sabres next season.
Shinzawa thinks the Maple Leafs will re-sign captain Dion Phaneuf. He’s 28-years old and is averaging 24.:23 minutes per game. Those types of defenseman are hard to find and are even harder to acquire.
Jonas Hiller will be a UFA at the end of the season and the Ducks may look to acquire some assets for him. The Islanders and Predators are potential landing spots for him. The Ducks are deep in net with Viktor Fasth, Frederik Andersen and John Gibson in the pipeline.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Matheson thinks it’s doubtful that the Blue Jackets will look to re-sign Marian Gaborik for another four or five years at $6 million. They gave up Derrick Brassard, Derek Dorsett and John Moore to get him.
Marc-Eduoard Vlasic may have played himself ahead of Marc Staal and Dan Hamhuis on the Canadian Olympic team depth chart.
The Wild may be looking for a backup goalie with experience. Best bet is they bring back Jose Theodore.
The Sharks will likely buyout Martin Havlat after this season. They may have done it this summer, but he was injured and you can’t buyout injured players.
Still rumors out there that the Blues will make a play for Sabres Ryan Miller at the trade deadline.
Morning Rumors II: Stars, Maple Leafs, Hurricanes, Panthers, Predators, Flyers, Emery and Fighting and the Sabres
- TSN Insider Trading: Dreger: doesn’t think that Nail Yakupov will be traded this year. They have no intentions of trading him.
McKenzie: Stars Vernon Fiddlerwent to the team and said he wants more ice time and bigger role. If they couldn’t fulfill the request, to let him do it elsewhere. He’s making $1.8 million will be a UFA at the end of the season. There is interest in him, but the stars are doing well. Dreger: The Maple Leafs are one of the teams that talked to the Stars about Fiddler, but are concerned with his age and money.Dreger: Maple Leafs have had talks with Hurricanes about John-Michael Liles, but nothing imminent.
McKenzie: Five Panthers who likely won’t be traded are: Aleksander Barkov, Jonathan Huberdeau, Nick Bjugstad, Eric Gudbranson and Marcel Goc. Shawn Matthias or Dmitry Kulikov could be getting interest, not so much for their more expensive veterans.
LeBrun: The Predators have had talks with the Ducks regarding Jonas Hiller, but are waiting to learn more about Pekka Rinne’s health before making a decision. If it looks like Rinne’s health will keep him out longer, they may look to move on a goalie.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger on TSN Radio: “I don’t get the sense that talks have heated up between the Leafs and Fiddler. Leafs leaning towards vet depth forward”
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: The Flyers are “vigorously” shopping Luke Schenn and Andrej Mezsaros. Schenn has $3.6 million cap hit for the next three years and Mezsaros has a $4 million cap hit for this season.
- Dan Rosen of NHL.com: Ray Emery when asked by Gary Bettman last week if he would have went after Holtby if there was a 10-game suspension:
“He goes, ‘What, are you crazy?’” Commissioner Bettman said.
“There are things you can do if you believe that is not the appropriate thing,” Bettman continued. “There are lots of people who believe that with the amount of equipment that goaltenders wear and the importance that they have that there should be a rule, and that’s something we’ll discuss. But us just throwing out lightning bolts because of the spur of the moment, you have to be better and more consistent than that when you’re running a sports league.”
- Mike Harrington: Sabres call for a 10:30 AM major press conference. John Shannon: Sounding like the Sabres will announce a new position, President of Hockey Operations. Joe Yerdon: “If the insiders are right and it is to announce a head of hockey ops, that’s a big deal. Someone who slots in above Darcy Regier? Yeah, big.” Bob McKenzie: Sounding like Pat LaFontaine will be named the Sabres new president of hockey operations. Bucky Gleason: Hearing that Darcy Regier and Ron Rolston are out with LaFontain in and possibly Ted Nolan returning as coach.
Morning Rumors: Yakupov, Lundqvist, Goalie Market, Hemsky, Candiens, Leafs, Panthers, Caps and Flyers
- Craig Custance: Nail Yakupov’s agent said that if the Oilers are unhappy with Yakupov, they are open to a trade: “We’re willing to make a move. Any team. That happens and that’s part of life.”
- Bob Stauffer: On Larionov and Yakupov: “#1. Igor probably isn’t too pleased that Nail has played under 12 mins last 3 games. #2. A coach spotting Yakupov and limiting defensive zone starts given a -14 rating is completely logical. #3. Not every agent goes to the media to discuss frustrations with a team’s handling of their client. Going direct to the GM works better.”
- Bob McKenzie: Expectation is that Rangers GM Glen Sather will meet with Henrik Lundqvist’s agent, Don Meehan, for contract talks while he’s in town for the Hockey Hall of Fame and GM meetings.
- Craig Custance: Ducks GM Bob Murray on the goalie trade market: “The phone is not ringing.”
- The Fourth Period: The Blues have shopped Brian Elliott, but he may not moved until later in the season as the goalie market is thin at the moment.
- The Fourth Period: It is believed that the Oilers have talked with teams, including the Rangers, about Ales Hemsky.
- Elliotte Friendman of CBC: Devils GM Lou Lamoriello on trading Martin Brodeur.
”We’ve never had any conversations about it. I’ve never talked to anyone else about it and I’m not going to waste any time on it.”
Canadiens pending UFA, Andrei Markov, is changing agents. This is something some GM hate.
“You’re always worried the new guy is telling him how much better a deal he can get,” one GM said. “Then, he has to live up to it.”
If P.K. Subban says he’ll go for a two-year arbitration deal that would take him to unrestricted free agency, which could be worth $7 million per season, then you know he’s unhappy in Montreal. The Canadiens will look for a longer deal.
The Maple Leafs may be looking for right-shooting defenseman. It’s been an on-again/off-again situation. At one point they looked at Mike Weaver, but may be looking for someone that can play higher up in their lineup.
The Senators and Stars are said to be looking for a defenseman.
Friedman isn’t sure if the Senators would consider trading Craig Anderson. If they were to move him, would need a goalie coming back.
Panthers GM Dale Tallon has been trying hard to make a trade, but he wants to move guys with bad contracts. Players that could interest teams are Marcel Goc ($1.7 million) and Shawn Matthias ($1.75 million).
The Predators looked at Ilya Bryzgalov before he signed with the Oilers but were denied.
The Oilers may have looked at Jonas Hiller, but Ducks GM Bob Murray doesn’t like trading within the division.
The Capitals may have had some interest in Ladislav Smid before he was traded to the Flames.
Some executives would be surprised if the Flyers traded Wayne Simmonds, though you can never predict what the Flyers will do.
Some teams are looking at undrafted free agent Colin Suellentrop (Oshawa Generals). He attended the Canadiens camp, is from Florida which may make them a possibility, and Rangers may be looking at him.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”Most likely that the Leafs will look to get something done with a team in the West. There is that relationship in Anaheim”
- James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail: The Maple Leafs could look at the free agent market if they don’t go in-house on a centerman. They could look at Vinny Prospal, but they are tight against the cap. Putting Dave Bolland on the LTIR will give them some flexibility.
- Brian Stubits of Eye on Hockey CBS Sports: Elliotte Friedman on Sportsnet 960 Calgary with a little more detail into Steve Downie getting traded out of Colorado:
“Basically what it goes back to was during training camp Downie got mad at [Captain Gabriel] Landeskog for a trip during a scrimmage and he drilled him. I was just told from that day, considering Downie was a bit unrepentanant about it, I just heard the Avalanche decided they were going to make the change at that time. You can’t have guys doing that. The timing is still very odd, it’s an interesting time for the deal, but I was told basically the Avalanche had decided that when that happened and Downie was basically unapologetic about it, the time was going to come where he was going to get dealt.”
- Matthew Coller: A look at some teams who may need goaltender at some point and goalies who may fit those needs.
Blues: Their problem is the inconsistency of Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott. Ryan Miller could be a solution.
Oilers: Devan Dubnyk’s poor start. James Reimer could be a solution.
Blackhawks: Poor backup play of Nikolai Khabibulin. Scott Clemmensen could be a solution.
Penguins: Injury to Tomas Vokoun. Signing free agent Jose Theodore could be a solution.
Islanders: Need someone better than Evgeni Nabokov if you want to complete for the cup. Trading for Jonas Hiller could be a solution.
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Since the Devils have to forfeit their 1st round pick, the NHL isn’t a 100 percent sure how they will be handling the draft lottery. They may keep the Devils as part of the lottery to determine the order.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Matheson thinks the Oilers will “all over” Ducks Jonas Hiller this summer if Devan Dubnyk doesn’t work out as their No. 1 goalie. Hiller will be a UFA.
- Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press: Lawless thinks the Jets should do nothing right now. “Trade now? From a position of weakness? That’s what loser organizations do. Organizations destined to rot for decades and treat the odd season of mediocrity as something to celebrate.” Firing coach Claude Noel may be a temporary distraction, but the same “deep-rooted issues” would sill be there. They could trade some roster players, but they would only likely net you draft picks.
- Igor Eronko: Defenseman Cam Barker is talking with Barys of the KHL.
- Ryan Rishaug: Oilers lines: Eberle Gagner Yakupov, Perron RNH Arcobello, Smyth Gordon Hemsky, Eager Acton Gazdik.
- Don Brennan: Senators lines: Ryan-Spezza-Michalek, Zibanejad-Turris-MacArthur, Conacher-Smith-Neil, Greening-Grant-Condra.
- Don Brennan: Blackhawks lines and defensive pairings: Sharp-Toews-Hossa, Saad-Pirri-Kane, Bickell-Shaw-Morin, Bolig-Kruger-Mills, Keith-Seabrook, Oduya-Hjalmarsson, Leddy-Brookbank
- Elliott Pap: Canucks lines: twins-Kesler; Higgins-Santo-Burrows; Welsh-Richardson-Kassian; Sestito-Archibald-Weber.
- Tom Gulitti: Martin Brodeur will start in net for the Devils. Keith Kinkaid will back up.
- Tim Panaccio: Steve Mason will start in net for the Flyers.
- Eric Stephens: Jonas Hiller will start in net for the Ducks.
- Steve Zipay: Cam Talbot will start in net for the Rangers.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Teams are calling the Ducks to see if they’d move either Jonas Hiller or Viktor Fasth. The Hurricanes (written before DiPietro signed tryout), Predators, Oilers, Panthers and Islanders could be looking for a goalie. ”His best bet is to wait for the deadline because you find out pretty quickly it’s hard to get value for a goalie,” said a league executive Saturday. “Historically it just always has been.”
Could Rangers GM Glen Sather be on the hot seat? Talk that the Rangers are looking for a puck moving defenseman.
Senators Zack Smith is getting some interest. Some in the organization think he’s part of the solution. The Senators are hoping someone would take Jim O’Brien and his one-way contract.
NHL VP Colin Campbell could be a candidate if Sabres GM Darcy Regier is fired. Canadiens assistant GM Rick Dudley could be the top candidate.
The Maple Leafs and Canucks would be interested in Avs Paul Stastny if he became available.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello emailed teams offering up a “veteran defenseman.” Marek Zidlicky, Anton Volchenkov, Peter Harrold and Andy Greene would qualify as veterans.
Teams have shown interest in Flyers Jakub Voracek and Wayne Simmonds, but they are unlikely to be traded.
The Flyers would love to move Andrej Meszaros and Nicklas Grossman.
The Stars would be willing to trade Alex Goligoski. He has three years at $4.6 million per season left on his deal.
- John Vogl of the Buffalo News: Vogl thinks the Sabres have missed their best chance to trade goalie Ryan Miller. There have only been 23 goaltending trades since 2005-06, with only 12 happening during the season. Return on deals in-season were less lucrative. Fans hoping for a 1st round pick or a star player in return are likely dreaming too big. Only five trades landed a 1st round pick. Likely return could be a 2nd round pick. Only way for the Sabres to get a big return for Miller may be if a team loses their goalie to injury or if they are desperate for a playoff run.
- Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: Sharks Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau were longshots for Team Canada, but not anymore. Same goes for Matt Duchene.
One-time argument between Tie Domi and John Ferguson. Ferguson: “You’re trying to get me fired.” Domi: “No John, I think you’re doing a pretty good job of that yourself.”
- David Pagnotta: If the Oilers were able trade for a top-two defenseman, they would. Looking to improve their overall team defense.
Morning Rumors: Hiller, Oilers, Liles, Tootoo, Kulikov, Horton, Meszaros, Grigorenko, Green and Miller
- Mark Spector: Thinks the Oilers have another deal in the works.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger on TSN Radio: ”I know there has been some dialogue between Edmonton and Anaheim regarding Jonas Hiller“
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie on TSN Radio: ”the Oilers have cooled down their search for a goaltender. I think it’s status quo right now for MacTavish”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger on TSN Radio: ”Carlyle didn’t feel great at having to waive Liles because Liles did everything Carlyle asked him to do in the exit meeting” … ”I believe the Leafs are willing to eat around $1 million dollars (and that is negotiable) to move Liles”
- David Alter: If the Leafs retain any money in a John-Michael Liles trade, not using the non-compliance window they had back in August would be a mistake.
- Darren Dreger on TSN: The Red Wings are believed to be eager to make a trade. Jordin Tootoo is in play to create some cap space to make room for Gustav Nyquist. The Maple Leafs are willing to retain a significant portion of John-Michael Liles contract in a trade.
- Damien Cox of the Toronto Star: The Maple Leafs have had their eye on Panthers Dmitri Kulikov over the years, and he might be available. He wouldn’t come cheap, and he’ll be looking for a big pay increase from his $2.5 million.
- Joe Haggerty of CSNNE: Blue Jackets Nathan Horton insinuated last week that part of the reason he left the Bruins in the summer was that the Bruins wanted until the last minute to negotiate with him. At the time he signed with the Blue Jackets (seven-years, $37 million), he agent said that Horton wanted to go somewhere quieter and more laid back than Boston.
“All year, nothing happened. I waited for a long time,” Horton said of last year in Boston. “When you wait until the last minute, what am I . . . I’m not going to wait around. I’m happy with the way things turned out. It just came down to, at the end, for my family, I wanted a place where my kids could be outside.
“That’s kind of what it came down to. I heard a little bit about Columbus. It’s not the Columbus that everyone knows. Columbus is up-and-coming. They’ve got a great team and great people in charge. It’s kind of what I was looking for.”
The Bruins wouldn’t have offered a seven-year contract with his concussion history. There were negotiations last year about a five-year, around $5 million a year deal. Horton would change his mind daily on if staying in Boston or leaving. Ultimately came down to his wife’s desire to live somewhere warmer and quieter. The Bruins would have traded his rights for a seventh round pick, and had discussed a deal with the Kings. Horton said he was ruling out all Canadian cities and big markets.
- Elliotte Friedman of CBC: The Flyers have tried to trade Andrej Meszaros, but his expiring contract may be valuable to the Flyers who sit at $56 million for next season.
Among the teams the Oilers talked to were the Ducks, Blues and Capitals. Some belief they may have looked at Jake Allen and Thomas Greiss. Allen is staying in St. Louis and Greiss info appears incorrect.
Did the Oilers consider trading Nail Yakupov for help on the blueline? They may have thought the cost was too high, same as price for goaltending.
Teams exploring trade market the most are the Flyers, Rangers and maybe the Devils.
A lot of concern about Tyler Myers play, more and more lately involving Mikhail Grigorenko.
The Kings have started preliminary talks with Matt Greene.
Despite having a limited no-trade clause, Ryan Miller may consider going anywhere. Oilers make little sense.
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: LeBrun thinks the two best options for the Oilers in net are Jonas Hiller and Michal Neuvirth.
- Mark Spector of Sportsnet: Both the Flyers and Oilers may be looking for a change. The Oilers have the scoring wingers in Ales Hemsky and Nail Yakupov that the Flyers could use. The Flyers have the size and grit of Wayne Simmonds, a defenseman in Braydon Coburn and a young center with size, Sean Couturier. Thomas Vanek could be a short-term fix in Philadelphia.
- David Staples of the Edmonton Jouranl: What Darren Dreger said to Dave Naylor on TSN 1050.
Dreger: “Now you look at the need that the Edmonton Oilers have and there’s obvious interest in Jonas Hiller in Anaheim and there’s some speculation around (goalie Michael) Neuvirth of the Washington Capitals, but both those general managers have to be sitting here going, ‘Really? You know, I know I have an asset here.’ And Toronto is the same. I’m sure there would be interest in James Reimer if (Leafs GM) Dave Nonis were willing to consider it, but it is way, way, way too early in the season to do that, and you might get to the point, which is the trade deadline, where you also say, ‘Well, which one do I trade? Both of these guys have been very solid and I’d like to have both of these guys if I have a chance of contending for the Stanely Cup,’ or you’re certainly in the playoff mix. So when you’ve got a quality goaltender, you hold on tight. We have two of them. You’re very careful before you move one.”
Naylor: “Dregs, if things got really desperate in Edmonton and we know the expectations are there, ‘Hey, we’re not the young Oilers. This is not development, this is not moral victories and we want to win,’ and they’re off to a rough start. They play tonight in Long Island. If things got really desperate there, and they said, ‘We got to do something. This goaltending thing is just a disaster. We’re willing to peel off a Nail Yakupov for a Reimer,’ would the Leafs do that?”
Dreger: “I don’t think so.”
Dreger: “I don’t think so because I don’t know that Toronto or any team in the National Hockey League, including Edmonton, is sold on Nail Yakupov. And that sounds like a pretty stinging indictment of this young man, first overall in 2012, but he just hasn’t developed to a point yet where you’re going to spend an asset that you can trust to take a shot on this guy. And automatically you’d be wondering, ‘Why is Edmonton picking Nail Yakupov among all of their young stars, or potential young stars, and all of the assets that the Oilers have worked hard at over the years of accruing, why is Nail Yakupov the first guy that is thrown at us?’ There’d be some skepticism.”
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Sources saying the Panthers are willing to move any of their veterans: Tomas Fleischmann, Kris Versteeg, Scottie Upshall, Shawn Matthias, Brad Boyes, Marcel Goc, Tom Gilbert and Dmitry Kulikov. Their top young prospects won’t be going anywhere.
Oilers GM Craig MacTavish didn’t have any luck finding a goalie. Two league executives said their options are Michal Neuvirth, James Reimer and Brian Elliott. They may have looked at Craig Anderson and Cam Ward, but the sense is that neither Anderson or Ward are going anywhere. They won’t sign Ilya Bryzgalov.
The Rangers are looking for a top-six forward and are dangling Chris Kreider.
The Rangers may take a run at Thomas Vanek (if he goes to free agency) if they decide to buyout Brad Richards during the next buyout period after the season.
Ryan Miller is expected to head towards the West Coast if he hits free agency.
Devils coach Peter DeBoar could be on the hot seat if they continue to slide.
The Rangers may have offered Henrik Lundqvist a long-term deal at $6 million per season. He’ll likely end up with an eight-year deal in the $7.5-$8 million range.
The Flyers have tried since the summer to trade Andrej Mezsaros and his $5.5 million salary, $4 million cap hit. The Flyers would also like to move Nicklas Grossman.
- James Mirtle: Mirtle heard that the asking price for Maple Leafs defenseman Jake Gardiner was “a ****load.”
- Tim Panaccio: Addressing Nail Yakupov rumors, why would the Flyers need another Russian head case? Oilers Ales Hemsky makes sense, but the asking price is likely too high. Adam Kimelman: Kimelman responds to Panaccio saying that Yakupov is not a head case, noting there is a big difference between a 19-year old and a the Flyers last goalie.
- Bruce Garrioch: The Coyotes have quietly denied interest in Sabres Thomas Vanek.
- John Vogl: Vogl notes that Vanek would look good beside John Tavares and countryman Michael Grabner.
- Darren Dreger: The Oilers will need to find a No. 1 goalie, and then have to decide if they would be willing to trade one of their young guns.
- Pierre LeBrun: Bob McKenzie has already reported that the Oilers have already reached out to teams about goaltenders. Options for the Oilers could be: Ryan Miller (sense that GM Darcy Regier may prefer to wait to build a bigger market for Miller), Jonas Hiller (likely too early for the Ducks to consider), Michal Neuvirth (if the Capitals feel they can live without him) and Brian Elliott.
- Elliotte Friedman of CBC: The Oilers are at 49 contracts, so trading a draft pick or signing a free agent eliminates some roster flexibility. Blues goalie Brian Elliott makes sense, but the Blues may not want to take back salary. Is it worth an assets to get Elliott or Ryan Miller. Though the Senators likely wouldn’t trade him, Robin Lehner would be a good trade target.Thought is that if Dion Phaneuf comes down on money, the Maple Leafs may go a little longer on term.Trade market is cool with the Avalanche and Flames playing well.With Kris Letang getting close to returning, the Penguins will have to decide whether to keep Olli Maatta or return him to junior. They could keep eight defenseman, put someone on waivers or try to make a trade.
Some teams have called the Kings about Alec Martinez.
Three teams have talked about how they would like to add Thomas Vanek.