- Free Agents
- 2014 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2014 UFA Centers
- 2014 UFA Left Wingers
- 2014 UFA Right Wingers
- 2014 UFA Defenseman
- 2014 UFA Goalies
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- Hall of Fame
- A. Joseph (Joe) Primeau
- Adam Oates
- Al Arbour
- Al MacInnis
- Albert Charles (Babe) Siebert
- Alex Connell
- Alexander Peter (Alex) Delvecchio
- Alfred E. (Alf) Smith
- Allan Herbert Stanley
- Allan M. (Scotty) Davidson
- Allan W. Pickard
- Anatoli V. Tarasov
- Anders Borje Salming
- Andrew James (Andy) Bathgate
- Andy Van Hellemond
- Angela James
- Angus D. Campbell
- Anthony James (Tony) Esposito
- Arthur Edmund (Art) Coulter
- Arthur F. Farrel
- Arthur Howie (Art) Ross
- Arthur M. Wirtz
- Aubrey V. (Dit) Clapper
- Aurel Emile Joliat
- Bernard Allan Federko
- Bernard Joseph Andre (Boom Boom) Geoffrion
- Bernard Marcel (Bernie) Parent
- Bill Torrey
- Blair Russel
- Bob Gainey
- Bob Johnson
- Bob Pulford
- Bobby Bauer
- Brendan Shanahan
- Brett Hull
- Brian Francis O’Neill
- Brian Kilrea
- Brian Leetch
- Bruce A. Norris
- Bruce Stuart
- Bryan Aldwyn Hextall
- Bryan Trottier
- Bun Cook
- Cam Neely
- Cammi Granato
- Capt. James T. Sutherland
- Carl P. Voss
- Cecil Henry (Babe) Dye
- Cecil R. (Tiny) Thompson
- Charles Adams
- Charles Graham Drinkwater
- Charles Hay
- Charles Joseph Sylvanus (Syl) Apps
- Charles Robert (Chuck) Gardiner
- Charles Thomas (Tom) Hooper
- Charles William (Charlie) Conacher
- Chris Chelios
- Clarence (Happy) Day
- Clarence S. Campbell
- Clark Gillies
- Claude C. Robinson
- Claude Earl (Chuck) Rayner
- Cliff Fletcher
- Clinton James Smith
- Clinton S. Benedict
- Conn Smythe
- Craig Patrick
- Cyril Joseph (Cy) Denneny
- Dale Hawerchuk
- Darryl Glen Sittler
- Daryl K. Seaman
- David (Sweeney) Schriner
- David Michael Keon
- Denis Potvin
- Denis Savard
- Dick Duff
- Didier Pitre
- Dino Ciccarelli
- Donald H. (Dan) Bain
- Doug Gilmour
- Douglas Bradford (Brad) Park
- Douglas Norman Harvey
- Douglas Wagner (Doug) Bentley
- Duncan McMillan (Mickey) MacKay
- E. S. (Chaucer) Elliott
- Earl Walter Seibert
- Ebenezer Ralston (Ebbie) Goodfellow
- Ed Belfour
- Ed Chynoweth
- Edgar Laprade
- Edouard (Newsy) Lalonde
- Edward (Eddie, Fast Eddie) Giacomin
- Edward George (Eddie) Gerard
- Edward M. Snider
- Edward Reginald (Reg) Noble
- Edward William (Eddie) Shore
- Elmer James Lach
- Emile (Butch) Bouchard
- Emile P. Francis
- Ernest (Ernie) Russell
- Ernest (Moose) Johnson
- F. J. (Mickey) Ion
- Father David Bauer
- Ferdinand Charles (Fernie) Flaman
- Foster W. Hewitt
- Francis (Frank) McGee
- Francis Charles (Frank) Brimsek
- Francis M. (King) Clancy
- Francis Nelson
- Francis William (Frank) Mahovlich
- Francois X. (Frank) Boucher
- Frank A. Griffiths
- Frank A. Patrick
- Frank Buckland
- Frank C. Foyston
- Frank Calder
- Frank D. Smith
- Frank Dilio
- Frank Fredrickson
- Frank J. Selke
- Frank Nighbor
- Frank Rankin
- Frank S. Mathers
- Frank Udvari
- Frank Xavier (Moose) Goheen
- Fred C. Waghorne (builder) n/a
- Fred G. (Steamer) Maxwell
- Fred J. Hume
- Fred Shero
- Frederick (Cyclone) Taylor
- Frederick Hugh (Hughie) Lehman
- Frederick Page
- Frederick Whitcroft
- Fredrick (Fred) Scanlan
- G. A. (Al) Leader
- Gen. John R. Kilpatrick
- George (Buck) Boucher
- George (Punch) Imlach
- George Edward (Chief) Armstrong
- George Hainsworth
- George Hayes
- George McNamara
- George Reginald (Red) Horner
- George Richardson
- George S. Dudley
- George V. Brown
- George William Hay
- Georges Vezina
- Gerald Michael (Gerry) Cheevers
- Geraldine Heaney
- Gilbert (Gil) Perreault
- Glen Sather
- Glenn Anderson
- Glenn Henry Hall
- Gordon (Gordie) Howe
- Gordon Allan (Phat) Wilson
- Gordon Arthur Drillon
- Gordon Blanchard (Duke) Keats
- Gordon Roberts
- Gordon W. Juckes
- Grant Fuhr
- Gunther Sabetzki
- Guy Damien Lafleur
- Guy Gerard Lapointe
- Hamilton Livingston (Billy) Gilmour
- Harley Hotchkiss
- Harold (Harry) Oliver
- Harold E. Ballard
- Harold Hugh (Harry) Cameron
- Harold Joseph (Bullet Joe) Simpson
- Harrold M (Harry) Hyland
- Harry (Apple Cheeks) Lumley
- Harry (Hap) Holmes
- Harry (Rat) Westwick
- Harry E. (Moose) Watson
- Harry J. Sinden
- Harry L. (Punch) Broadbent
- Harry Percival (Whipper) Watson
- Harvey (Busher) Jackson
- Harvey Pulford
- Hector (Toe) Blake
- Henry Judah (Harry) Trihey
- Henry Vernon (Harry) Howell
- Herb Brooks
- Herbert (Herbie) Lewis
- Herbert Martin (Herb) Gardiner
- Herbert William (Buddy) O’Connor
- Hobart Amery Hare (Hobey) Baker
- Howard William (Howie) Morenz
- Hubert George (Bill) Quackenbush
- Ian “Scotty” Morrison
- Igor Larionov
- Irvine Wallace (Ace) Bailey
- Ivan Wilfred (Ching) Johnson
- J. A. (Jack) Butterfield
- J. A. (Jimmy) Dunn
- J. Ambrose O’Brien
- J. C. V. (Jim) Hendy
- J. Cooper Smeaton
- J. D. (Jack) Ruttan
- J. F. (Bunny) Ahearne
- Jacques Gerard Lemaire
- James D. Norris
- James Dickenson (Dick) Irvin
- James Henry (Jimmy) Gardner
- James Norris Sr.
- Jari Pekka Kurri
- Jean Arthur Beliveau
- Jean Baptiste (Jack) Laviolette
- Jim Devellano
- Jim Gregory
- Joe Nieuwendyk
- Joe Sakic
- John A. Ziegler, Jr.
- John Bower (Bouse) Hutton
- John C. (Jack) Marshall
- John Calverley (Jake) Milford
- John D’Amico
- John G. Ashley
- John James (Jack) Adams
- John L. (Jack) Gibson
- John Mariucci
- John P. Bickell
- John Paul (Johnny) Bucyk
- John Phillip (Jack) Walker
- John Proctor (Jack) Darragh
- John Ross Robertson
- John Sherratt (Black Jack) Stewart
- John William (Johnny) Bower
- Joseph Cattarinich
- Joseph Gilbert Yvon (Jean) Ratelle
- Joseph Henri (Pocket Rocket) Richard
- Joseph Henri Maurice (The Rocket) Richard
- Joseph Henry (Joe) Hall
- Joseph Jacques (Jake the Snake) Plante
- Joseph Jacques Hughes Laperriere
- Joseph Mullen
- Jospeph Lynn Patrick
- Keith Allen
- Kenneth Joseph (Kenny) Reardon
- Kenneth Wayne Dryden
- Lanny McDonald
- Larry Murphy
- Larry Robinson
- Leo J. V. Dandurand
- Leo Joseph Boivin
- Leonard Patrick (Red) Kelly
- Lester Patrick
- Lionel Conacher
- Lloyd Turner
- Lord (of Preston) Stanley
- Lorne John (Gump) Worsley
- Lou Lamoriello
- Luc Robitaille
- M. I. (Matt) Pavelich
- Maj. Frederic McLaughlin
- Marcel Elphege Dionne
- Marcel Pronovost
- Mario Lemieux
- Mark Howe
- Mark Messier
- Martin (Marty) Walsh
- Martin A. (Marty) Barry
- Mats Sundin
- Maurice Joseph (Joe) Malone
- Maxwell Herbert Lloyd Bentley
- Mervyn (Red) Dutton
- Michael (Mike) Grant
- Michael J. Rodden
- Michel Goulet
- Mike Bossy
- Mike Gartner
- Mike Ilitch
- Miles Gilbert (Tim) Horton
- Milton Conrad (Milt) Schmidt
- Monsignor Athol (Père) Murray
- Murray Bert Olmstead
- Murray Costello
- Neil McNeil Colville
- Neil P. Armstrong
- Nelson (Old Poison) Stewart
- Norman R. (Bud) Poile
- Norman Victor Alexander (Norm) Ullman
- Oliver Levi Seibert
- Pat LaFontaine
- Patrick Joseph (Paddy) Moran
- Patrick Roy
- Paul Coffey
- Paul Loicq
- Pavel Bure
- Percy LeSueur
- Peter Stastny
- Philip Anthony (Phil) Esposito
- Philip D. Ross
- Pierre Paul Pilote
- R. A. (Red) Storey
- R. W. (Bobby) Hewitson
- Ralph (Cooney) Weiland
- Ray Scapinello
- Raymond Bourque
- Reginald (Hooley) Smith
- Richard R. (Dickie) Boon
- Richard Winston (Dickie) Moore
- Robert (Bob) LeBel
- Robert Blake Theodore (Ted) Lindsay
- Robert Earle (Bobby) Clarke
- Robert Gordon (Bobby) Orr
- Robert Marvin (Bobby) Hull
- Rod Langway
- Rodrigue Gabriel (Rod) Gilbert
- Roger Paul Neilson
- Ron Francis
- Roy (Shrimp) Worters
- Roy Conacher
- Rudy Pilous
- Russell (Barney) Stanley
- Russell (Dubbie) Bowie
- Sam Pollock
- Samuel Russell (Rusty) Crawford
- Scott Niedermayer
- Scott Stevens
- Scotty Bowman
- Sen. Donat Raymond
- Sen. Hartland deM. Molson
- Serge Aubrey Savard
- Seymour H., III Knox
- Sidney Gerald (Sid) Abel
- Silas Seth (Si) Griffis
- Sir Montagu Allan
- Sprague Cleghorn
- Stanley (Stan) Mikita
- Stephen John Shutt
- Steve Yzerman
- Sydney Harris (Syd) Howe
- Sylvio Mantha
- T. F. (Tommy) Lockhart
- T. Franklin Ahearn
- T. P. (Tommy) Gorman
- Terrance Gordon (Terry) Sawchuk
- Theodre Samuel (Ted Teeder) Kennedy
- Thomas Christian (Tom) Johnson
- Thomas Dunderdale
- Thomas J. Smith
- Thomas N. (Tommy) Phillips
- Thomas N. Ivan
- Valeri Kharlamov
- Viacheslav Fetisov
- Vladislav Aleksandrovich Tretiak
- W. L. (Bill) Chadwick
- W. M. (Bill) Jennings
- Walter (Babe) Pratt
- Walter A. Brown
- Walter Bush
- Walter Edward (Turk) Broda
- Wayne Gretzky
- Weston W. Sr. Adams
- Wilfred Thomas (Shorty) Green
- William (Bill) Cook
- William (Bill) Hanley
- William (Bill) John Smith
- William (Bill) Mosienko
- William (Billy) Burch
- William Alexander (Bill) Gadsby
- William Charles (Bill) Barber
- William George (Billy) McGimsie
- William H. (Hod) Stuart
- William M. Northey
- William Mailes (Bill) Cowley
- William Milton (Riley) Hern
- William Ronald (Bill) Durnan
- William Thayer Tutt
- William W. Wirtz
- Woody Dumart
- Yvan Serge (Roadrunner) Cournoyer
Posts Tagged Devin Setoguchi
- Brian Lawton: “Hearing that all talk surrounding Brodeur has ended. He will NOT be Traded…… Finishes yr with Devils.”
- Bob McKenzie: “NSH C David Legwand in play. PIT, DET, ANA, PIT all possible destinations.”
- David Pagnotta: “Blue Jackets also looking at defenseman… So are Kings, Penguins, Bruins, etc. etc.”
- David Pagnotta: “Blue Jackets aren’t done… They’ve been in talks with Calgary on Cammalleri, but at least 4 other teams in that hunt.”
- Gary Lawless: “Sounds like #nhljets trade talks with Sharks regarding Devin Setoguchi have cooled”
- Renaud Lavoie: “My friend just told me I made a mistake on Kesler. Its not the Wild but the Ducks who are in Kesler’s derby.”
- Ken Wiebe: “No surgery required for Scheifele, which is the good news, says Maurice. Chris Thorburn (upper-body) is day-to-day, not serious “
- Bruce Garrioch: “Senators have had no discussions on Chris Stewart today. “
- Elliotte Friedman: “Also hearing DAL in on Tim Thomas”
- Renaud Lavoie: “Their is a possibility that the Sabres try to sign Jaroslav Halak if they can’t trade him. They need a goalie to rebuild.”
- Bob McKenzie: Talks between the Rangers and Lighting continue regarding Martin St. Louis. Not a guarantee that a deal gets made. Darren Dreger: Multiple draft picks could be included, including a first round pick. Rangers getting creative.
- Billy Jaffe: Hearing that the Kings may have made an offer to the Blue Jackets. Marian Gaborik? Waiting for a decision.
- Darren Dreger: Martin Brodeur has submitted a list of eight or nine teams to GM Lou Lamoriello that he’s willing to waive his no-trade clause for. Brodeur is obviously interest in moving and will now wait to see if Lamoriello is able to make a move.
- Rich Chere: Brodeur said that he spoke with Patrik Elias and Jaromir Jagr about a potential trade, but hasn’t told teammates about what was discussed during his talk with Lamoriello.
- Pat Leonard: Brodeur would not rule out a trade or even a contract extension.
- Kevin Kurz: There have bee some reports of Tomas Vanek to the Sharks. These are totally bogus. Devin Setoguchi to the Sharks is also unlikely. Sounding like they are not going to do much, if anything at all.
- David Pollak: There is nothing going on with the Sharks and Vanek. It looks like Adam Burish will be sticking around.
- David Pollak: Dan Boyle’s agent said that Boyle is not in play and no list of teams was asked for.
- Gary Lawless: If Jets Mark Scheifele’s injury is extensive, they should be sellers today. He’s too important and valuable to the team.
- Dennis Bernstein: Hearing that the price has dropped for Matt Moulson. Kings Tyler Toffoli is not in the conversation for just Moulson. Toffoli could be in a deal if Christian Ehrhoff.
- Dennis Bernstein: Canadiens Rene Bourque could now be an option for the Kings if they lose out on Moulson.
- Ken Campbell: Kings GM Dean Lombardi said they have “nothing going” on at the moment. (tweet posted 8:47 pm)
Evening Rumors I: Sabres, Canucks, Leafs, Islanders, Flyers, Wild, Kings, Jets, Sharks, Avs and Ducks
- Craig Custance: Sounding like the Sabres may prefer prospects to draft picks in a Christian Ehrhoff deal.
- Darren Dreger: A year ago the Maple Leafs offered Ben Scrivens and a draft pick for Roberto Luongo, with the Canucks retaining a $1 million per year.
- Nick Kypreos: The Maple Leafs are making calls about Dave Bolland. He is still looking for a long-term deal at over $5 million.
- Elliotte Friedman: Thomas Vanek could be held out of the Islanders lineup tonight.
- Darren Dreger: A one point, the Panthers and Canucks had at least three different trade scenarios. Luongo may have knew yesterday.
- Nick Kypreos: After the Flyers addition of Andrew MacDonald, look for them to trade someone, with Andrej Meszaros and Luke Schenn having their names out there.
- Michael Russo: Wild GM Chuck Fletcher indicated that he was talking with other teams about goalies, but wasn’t willing to give up the young assets or draft picks to acquire them. James Mirtle: It was sounding like the Wild kicked tires on every goalie that could have been available. Mirtle wonders where Jaroslav Halak’s fit is now.
- Chris Stevenson: Doesn’t sound like the Kings and Andre Markov are a possibility at this point.
- Bob McKenzie: The Jets and Sharks have talked about Devin Setoguchi.
- Adrian Dater: The Avalanche and Paul Stastny’s agent were expected to talk today.
- Jimmy Murphy: The Ducks are in on Thomas Vanek.
- Renaud Lavoie: Lavoie has been told that if Vanek is traded, it won’t be to the Ducks.
Injury Notes: Isles, Lightning, Wings, Blue Jackets, Rangers, Capitals, Wild, Leafs, Habs, Preds, Jets, Coyotes, Pens and Ducks
- Arthur Staple: John Tavares has a knee injury and is done for the Olympics. Initial news on Tavares is not good, could be multiple ligament damage.
- Damian Cristodero: Lightning’s Steven Stamkos’ timetable is still open ended. The goal for him to is be ready to play against the Predators. He’ll likely have an x-ray on Monday. The best case scenario is that he play on their road trip. Worst case is that he’ll be ready for their homestand starting on March 6th.
- Helene St. James: Red Wings Henrik Zetterberg will be flying home on Thursday on an NHL charter. He will be seeing a specialist ASAP.
- Aaron Portzline: Blue Jackets Marian Gaborik has been cleared for contact. He’ll start being more physical in practices and is looking to return on Febrary 27th.
- Pat Leonard: Rangers Mats Zuccarello has a non-displaced fracture in his left hand. He’s heading back to New York tomorrow and will see a doctor in the afternoon. Renaud Lavoie: He should be out for three weeks.
- Aaron Portzline: Blue Jackets James Wisniewski (broken pinkie toe) is questionable for practices this week.
- Adam Vingan: Capitals Mike Green (concussion), Mikhail Grabovski (left ankle) and Jack Hillen (fractured tibial plateau) all practiced yesterday. Katie Carrera: Green said he passed his neuropsychological test and expects to play in Florida next week.
- Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune: Wild center Mikko Koivu has been clear to practice. He’s been out since January 4th with a broken ankle. Marco Scandella is on his way back from a sprained MCL.
- Michael Traikos: Maple Leafs Dave Bolland has looked his best since his tendon injury. It is expected that he’ll be back in the lineup on Feb. 27th against the Islanders.
- Missy Zielinski: Anders Lindback, Ben Bishop and Steven Stamkos all practiced yesterday. Valtteri Filppula (non-displaced fracture right ankle) did not practice. Damian Cristodero: Bishop said that he’ll be ready to go in Nashville on Feb. 27th. His wrist will still be monitored and may have to be addressed in the summer.
- John Lu: Alex Galchenyuk isn’t sure if he’s been cleared for contact. It was his first skate with the team today. He said that his main issue is getting the dexterity back in his right hand for fine movements like toe drags, etc.
- Josh Cooper: Predators Pekka Rinne skated for an hour yesterday and looked tired by the end of it.
- Ken Wiebe: Jets defenseman Tobias Enstrom has a lower-body issue and forward Devin Setoguchi has a bursa sac issue. Both are not serious.
- Sarah McLellan: Coyotes Derek Morris is still out with an upper-body injury.
- Scott Mitchell: Flames coach Bob Hartley on the Curtis Glencross’s ankle injury: ”He feels better, but, obviously, not good enough to be skating with the team.”
- Josh Yohe: Penguins Tomas Vokoun has been medically cleared to pay but needs to get into shape.
- Ansar Khan of MLive: Red Wings Johan Franzen practice yesterday and is hoping to be ready to return to the lineup next Wednesday. He’s missed 22 of the last 23 games with a concussion. Stephen Weiss (sports hernia surgery) and Jakub Kindle (lower-body) also expect to be ready.
- Eric Stephens: Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau said that Viktor Fasth is “fully ready to go.” Stephens thinks he could go on a conditioning stint.
Morning Rumors III: Parenteau, Subban, Gagner, Yakupov, Stewart, Kings, Senators, Buyers and Sellers
- Mike Chambers of the Denver Post: Avalanche’s P.A. Parenteau was a healthy scratch for the second straight game. He has two more years left at $4 million per. Rumors that the Canadiens may be willing to trade P.K. Subban for Parenteau, prospect(s) and draft picks. Coach Patrick Roy said that Parenteau is not in the doghouse, he just doesn’t want to break up the top lines and that Parenteau doesn’t fit a fourth line role.
- David Staples of the Edmonton Journal: SportsNets Doug MacLean on whether the Oilers should trade Sam Gagner or Nail Yakupov:
“Gagner and Yakupov have really been a real dilemma for this organization. They don’t know what to do with them. -29 for Yakupov. Talented kid. You know he’s going to score a lot of goals in the NHL before he’s done. Gagner, solid, solid. People don’t know if he’s a #2 or a #3 (centre).
“Here’s the problem. You got to stay with these guys. You’re not going to get value (in a trade). It’s disappointing the way they’ve performed, but you are not going to get value. So stay with them.”
It was brought up that the Oilers need to get bigger, tougher. MacLean agreed, but added:
”You bring in complementary guys to play with them. I’ve said it for years. You take their Top Six, and you make it a Top Nine because you fill in with quality 2-way guys. But if you start trading these guys, you are not getting value and you got a disaster on your hands.”
- Craig Custance: Some GMs are more interested in making ‘hockey trades’ and than ‘rental trades.’ Blues Chris Stewart is an intriguing name but he carries a $4.15 million salary cap hit next season.
- Dennis Bernstein: The Kings are looking for a left winger and a defenseman. At this point, they would have to overpay to get either.
Frank Provenzano of ESPN: Potential Sellers: Nashville Predators - David Legwand, Matt Cullen, Colin Wilson and Ryan Ellis. Washington Capitals - Troy Brouwer, Joel Ward, Jason Chimera, Eric Fehr and Martin Erat. Winnipeg Jets - Dustin Byfuglien, Evander Kane, Olli Jokinen and Devin Setoguchi. Potential Buyers: Tampa Bay Lightning - roster depth. Colorado Avalanche - Top-four defenseman. St. Louis Blues - Stanley Cup caliber goalie.
- James Pagnall of the Ottawa Citizen: The Senators have new TV deal in place the could bring in between $20 and $30 million over the next 12 years. Senators owner Eugene Melnyk:
“This puts us on a solid footing,” Melnyk said in reference to the broadcasting deals. “We are going to be competitive in spending on players. If I need to spend an extra $2 million to $3 million (on unrestricted free agents) to make the playoffs, it’s a no-brainer. I’ll do it.”
“We’re still going to spend wisely,” he said, suggesting he does not intend to shell out the maximum permitted under salary cap rules.
“Just because you have extra money in your pocket, doesn’t mean you go out and spend it,” he said. His philosophy of patiently — and inexpensively — developing raw talent remains front and centre in the Senators organization.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Senators president Cyril Leeder on their $400 million broadcaster deal with Bell Media.
“It allows you to get in there and duke it out with the big guys,” Leeder told the Sun. “When you have a strong base of revenues from your corporate partners and your fanbase, that makes you stronger.
“It allows you to compete with (teams like) Toronto, New York and Vancouver.”
The Senators are currently 26th in spending, ahead of only the Flames, Avalanche, Islanders and Panthers.
- Tom Gulitti of the Bergon Record: Though he’s “not at all” looking to be traded, Devils Martin Brodeur is open to the idea of waiving his no-trade clause.
“I’m open to anything,” Brodeur told me. “I just want to play. So, like I said in Toronto, if there’s a better situation for me, I’ll take it. If it’s here or somewhere else, it doesn’t matter.”
On not playing as much.
“I don’t think so unless in the next three weeks it goes worse than (it is),” Brodeur said of whether he’d ask for a trade. “We’ll see. But I don’t think I will ask.”
- Arthur Staple: Thomas Vanek’s agent, Steve Bartlett, said ”We’re not there yet” with regards to re-signing with the Islanders or going to the open market.
- Roger Millions: Flames Mike Cammalleri said he’s had “great” talks with Brian Burke about his future.
- Scott Mitchell of the Calgary Sun: Flames Mike Cammalleri is set to return to the lineup, but he may not be there for long.
“I don’t know what’s going to happen,” Cammalleri said. “Brian has been really good with me. We’ve had a lot of communication, as far as talking about some different things. I’m not able to speculate on what may or may not happen yet, but as far as that goes, I think I just try and play the game the way I’ve always tried to play it, and that’s the best I can every day.”
- Ansar Khan of MLive: The Red Wings will likely wait until closer to the trade deadline to determine if they are buyers, sellers or are standing pat. It doesn’t look like the Red Wings will make a deal anytime soon.
“The phone is ringing a little bit; I’m calling a little bit,” Holland said. “With the Olympic break coming, I don’t sense a lot of activity.
“I talked to a few managers the last few days; there’s not much going on.”
“We have to play our way into being a buyer,” Holland said. “There’s no use spending assets unless we play our way into a buyer position.”
The trade market could include: Matt Moulson, Steve Ott, Ales Hemsky, Mike Cammalleri, Lee Stempniak, Devin Setoguchi, Brad Boyes and Thomas Vanek.
The Red Wings could be looking for a top-six forward or top-four defenseman, but there may not be too many of those types of players available.
- Ken Warren: Senators owner Eugene Melnyk said it is a “no brainer” that he’d spend another $2-$3 million if they need a rental to make the playoffs.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”Nonis will continue to listen until someone makes an offer that he can’t refuse. If not Kadri & others aren’t going anywhere.” … ”the renovation that we call Toronto is far from over”
- Dennis Bernstein: (responding to question about Malone to LA) Bernstein doesn’t think Ryan Malone would waive his no-trade clause, plus he only has five goals in 37 games.
Morning Rumors: Canes, Ducks, Rangers, Bruins, Sabres, Blues, Devils, Leafs, Jets, Isles and Capitals
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Matheson wonders if the Hurricanes would consider trading Cam Ward. Ward has two years left at $6.3 million salary cap hit.
Speculation is that the Ducks are looking to upgrade their blueline, and are looking at Rangers Dan Girardi. They have assets like Luca Sbisa, Sheldon Souray, prospects and two first round picks (theirs and Ottawa’s).
The Bruins need a top-four defenseman and could include Adam McQuaid in a deal.
Could the Sabres deal Tyler Myers for offensive help?
The Blues could offer up Jaroslav Halak and a prospect or young forward for Ryan Miller. They won’t trade Dmitrij Jaskin.
- Tom Gulitti of the Bergon Record: Martin Brodeur is already thinking about next season, and he might be thinking about playing.
“My heart is,” Brodeur said today. “My body could be a different story. We’ll see.”
If he does return for another year, he realizes it may not be with the Devils.
“That’s something that more and more I see, regardless of if it’s wherever because I’m done after this year with my contract,” he said. “Depending on what’s going to happen in the next few months, if I feel my body’s (willing), I’ll see what’s best scenario for me if it’s back in New Jersey or somewhere else. That’s something the future will bring. But right now my heart is here to try to finish strong and prove that I can still be a big impact in hockey games.”
- The Fourth Period: Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis has been looking for a top-six forward. Nazem Kadri, Jake Gardiner and Carl Gunnarsson are said to be being dangled. Cody Franson and James Reimer may also be available at the right price. Center Dave Bolland is expected to start skating this week. The Leafs and Oilers have scouted each other this season. The Oilers like Gardiner, and the Leafs could be looking at Sam Gagner. It’s thought that the Leafs could also be talking with the Jets about one of Andrew Ladd and Blake Wheeler.
- The Fourth Period: The Jets have had trade talks with the Penguins, Canadiens, Maple Leafs, Flyers, Red Wings, Bruins and others. They are actively shopping Evander Kane and Dustin Byfuglien, and have been getting calls on Andrew Ladd, Devin Setoguchi, Blake Wheeler and Zach Bogosian.
“Will further changes have to be made over the course of time? Sure,” Cheveldayoff told the local media, as quoted by the Winnipeg Free Press. “It’s just now trying to figure out what is going to be the best direction for those changes moving forward.”
- Arthur Staple: Contract talks between the Islanders and Thomas Vanek haven’t started, and he’s not concerned.
“I’m sure we’ll talk, but I’m trying to stay out of it,” Vanek said. “Until something gets close, I need to focus on the games.”
“We had just one baby then, so things were different,” he said. “I would be lying if I said it doesn’t come down to money and term. You’ve got to sell yourself for what you’re worth, because you can’t play forever. But at the same time, there are other concerns, like what’s best for my family.
“We’ve been on the road a lot, but when we’re home, the family has been with me [on Long Island]. We’ve taken the train to the city, things like that. It’s a new place and it’s nice. We loved Buffalo, too, even though everyone said we’d hate it. When you can call a place home, you start to find the good things about it.”
- Hope Smoke: Elliotte Friedman: ”Leafs are better off missing the playoffs then making a bad trade”
- Chuck Gormley: Mikhail Grabovski’s agent, Gary Greenstin, was seen at the Capitals game again.
Morning Rumors: Panthers, Sabres, Avs, Capitals, Flames, Leafs, Lightning, Blue Jackets, Oilers and Hurricanes
- Harvey Fialkov: Despite the fact that the Panthers have asked for money from Broward County, GM Dale Talon has the green light to spend to the salary cap ceiling.
- Mike Harrington: Matt Moulson is the Sabres most attractive asset. Many teams need a scorer. Not a lot of teams need a goalie unless an injury happens.
- Brian Wilde: On the trade block: Matt Moulson, Mike Cammalleri, Olli Jokinen, Devin Setoguchi, Brad Boyes, Jake Gardiner and Nazem Kadri. The Canadiens could use a No. 3 defenseman and a big bodied right winger. They don’t have the cap space, so salary must go out.
- Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News: Sabres Mikhail Grigorenko is refusing to report to the Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL. Harrington’s inquiries say that the KHL is a possibility. The AHL is not an option.
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: Dater thinks it wouldn’t be a good idea to trade Ryan O’Reilly. “If the Avs trade O’Reilly because they don’t want to pay him a dollar more than Matt Duchene or any other artificial reason, then they will be very, very dumb.”You hear the ….
“They’ll deal him by the March 5 deadline for a D-man or some other “need” go the rumors. “The Avs are loaded at center, so they deal O’Reilly to a team where he’ll be used as a center, and therefore the Avs will get trade value in return befitting a top-six center.”
Oh that one makes a lot of sense. First off, O’Reilly is a winger now, and a great winger. So, if the Avs trade him, they are trading a great WINGER, which would create an immediate void of a great WINGER. This idea that, well, the Avs have so much up the middle already, so that makes O’Reilly expendable in some ways…no. He’s a great left wing right now. So, you trade him, you’re trading a winger that very few teams can match in overall game.
- Katie Carrera: The Capitals and Mikhail Grabovski are in the early stages of contract extension talks.
- Adam Vingan of NBC Washington: The Capitals are in the early stages of talking about a contract extension with center Mikhail Grabovski.
“He’s comfortable here,” Greenstin said Saturday at the Capitals’ practice facility in Arlington. “Good coaching staff, he fits here very well, but Grabo is very talented center. He’s able to play in a lot of organization the same role. He’s a first-two liner, he reads the game very well, but we’ll see what’s happening. Most likely he’ll stay here.”
“Why not?” Greenstin said when asked if he could envision Grabovski remaining with the Capitals. “Depends on the management. Coach [Adam Oates] likes him, we just begin talking about future contract. It’s not easy process. It will take some time, I believe.
“He’s very comfortable in Washington. … We’ll see. Good coach, good organization, we go from this.”
- Wes Gilbertson of the Calgary Sun: Flames Brian Burke
“We’re open for business. A lot is going to depend on when we complete the GM search, but in the meantime, we are open for business.”
Coach Bob Hartley
“We know it’s coming,” Hartley explained after Saturday’s morning skate.
“We know we have a bunch of unrestricted free agents and Burkie will want to improve the team, that’s for sure. Burkie will make decisions — just like me, just like everybody else — for the best of the organization. Obviously, there is going to be some question marks. There is going to be some speculation.”
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Sources are saying the Maple Leafs are looking for depth up front. Carl Gunnarsson and Jake Gardiner could be used as trade bait.Penguins GM Ray Shero may be the second most actvie GM and he’s dangling prospects.
Lightning GM Steve Yzerman has let teams know that Tom Pyatt and Keith Aulie are available.
There is heat on Capitals GM George McPhee to do something. He’s not going to be fired. Former GM Brian Lawton said that Martin Erat could be headed for the Coyotes.
Newport Sports agent Craig Oster could be the Sabres assistant GM.
The Avs haven’t had contract talks with center Paul Stastny, but they are not likely to trade him. The Senators and Canucks would be calling if he’s available. The Flames, Oilers, Leafs, Jets and Canadiens would also be interested. The price would be high. If the Rangers buyout Brad Richards, they’ll be looking for a center.
The Blue Jackets will be willing to trade Brandon Dubinsky.
Oilers Sam Gagner could be traded to the Hurricanes for a goalie: Cam Ward , Justin Peters or Anton Khudobin.
Someone could be interested in Ales Hemsky for a draft pick.
- Jason Brough of Pro Hockey Talk: Canucks GM Mike Gillis:
“I can tell you there is very little trade discussion going on anywhere,” Gillis said today on TEAM 1040 radio (audio). “It’s difficult to make trades when you have the cap lowered and teams’ financial resources under the cap have been used up.
“It’s tough to find trades that you can make that are going to improve your team. It’s tough to find anything but lateral moves and changing the deck chairs.
“But we’ll see. We’re trying. We’re always trying to improve and we’ll see if we can.”
- Kevin Allen of USA Today: The Penguins could use Pascal Dupuis’ LTIR cap relief to bring in a forward like: Matt Moulson, Mike Cammalleri, Olli Jokinen, Devin Setoguchi or Lee Stempniak. Look for the GMs to recommend extending OT during their GM meetings in March. May recommend extending to eight or 10 minutes in attempt to lessen the amount of shootouts. It would have to be approved by the competition committee and the Board of Govenors.
- Katie Strang of ESPN: (mailbag) Strang thinks the Sabres could get a 2nd round pick for Matt Moulson, maybe a 2nd and 3rd. Dustin Byfuglien is a right handed shot and the Rangers should use one of those.
- Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun: The Flames will likely be looking for young prospects and/or draft picks at the trade deadline for pending UFAs like: Mike Cammalleri, Matt Stajan, Lee Stempniak and Chris Butler. If someone is interested in taking Dennis Wideman’s contract off their hands, he could be moved as well.
- Randy Miller of NJ.com: Six pending UFAs that the Devils could look at, at the trade deadline: Paul Stastny, Matt Moulson, Mike Cammalleri, Olli Jokinen, Brad Boyes and Devin Setoguchi.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”I spoke to Nonis today. He’s open to anything either a blockbuster or a small trade. He wants a top line C, a big time winger or a top defenseman. Those are hard things to get. More likely, nothing will happen”"
- Wayne Scanlan: Details are being worked on for a contract extension for Senators GM Bryan Murray and his assistant GMs, Pierre Dorion and Randy Lee.
- Bruce Garrioch: Sabres GM Tim Murray said on Hockey Central that they “will probably” remove the interim tag from head coach Ted Nolan soon.
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: ”I don’t think Nonis has any appetite for a coaching change in season.” Hope Smoke: McKenzie did say they may still fire Carlyle during the season if the downward spiral continues. McKenzie doesn’t think a move will be made in season, but the Leafs effort and play will determine it.
The Minnesota Wild have traded Devin Setoguchi to the Winnipeg Jets for a 2014 2nd round pick.
Setoguchi was drafted 8th overall in the 2005 draft by the San Jose Sharks. He carries a $3 million cap hit this year and will be a UFA at the end of next season.
- Anthony SanFilippo: The Flyers traded AHL defenseman Danny Syvret to the Rangers for Kris Newbury.
- The Fourth Period: The Canadiens have been involved in trade talks lately. One of which was trying to move into the top 10 of Sunday’s draft.
“The price was big, and we were willing to pay, but it didn’t work,” Habs GM Marc Bergevin told reporters towards the conclusion the Draft.
The Canadiens talked to the Canucks about Alex Edler. Sources say that they also talked to the Blues about David Perron and the Ducks about Bobby Ryan. The also received some calls on Tomas Plekanec.
- Pierre LeBrun: Canucks Alex Edler’s no-trade clause has kicked in.
- Bruce Garrioch: Garrioch doesn’t think there is anything to the rumors of Colin Greening going to the Predators. Sides talked contract extension on Sunday.
- Michael Russo of the Star Tribune: Wild GM Chuck Fletcher is still working the trade market. Devin Setoguchi and his $3 million cap hit could be on the move. He’ll be a free agent after next season. Tom Gilbert could be bought out, eliminating his $4 million cap hit and only costing $1 million over the next two year.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: The NHL has fined Wild forward Devin Setoguchi $8,108.11 for high stick to Red Wings Kyle Quincey.
- Edmonton Oilers via twitter: The Oilers have recalled defenseman Theo Peckham from the AHL.
- Elliotte Friedman via twitter: Canucks Andrew Ebbett clears waivers. No one was put on waivers today.
- Tracey Myers via twitter: Coach Joel Quenneville said that Dan Carcillo won’t play tonight, but will sometime on this homestand.
- Jonas Siegel via twitter: Maple Leafs Joffrey Lupul is back skating but is still a couple weeks away from returning from his fractured forearm.
- Adrian Dater via twitter: Gabriel Landeskog is back practicing with the Avalanche but wearing a no contact jersey.
- Chris Kuc via twitter: Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook isn’t on the ice for their morning skate. Brad Ziemer via twitter: Seabrook won’t play tonight with a lower-body injury.
- Arthur Staple via twitter: Ullstrom and Boulton will be scratched. Reasoner and Hickey are in.
- Ansar Khan via twitter: Red Wings Johan Franzen thinks he’ll be able to play in Thursday. Has missed the last 4 games with a sore hip flexor.