- Free Agents
- 2014 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2014 UFA Centers
- 2014 UFA Left Wingers
- 2014 UFA Right Wingers
- 2014 UFA Defenseman
- 2014 UFA Goalies
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- Hall of Fame
- A. Joseph (Joe) Primeau
- Adam Oates
- Al Arbour
- Al MacInnis
- Albert Charles (Babe) Siebert
- Alex Connell
- Alexander Peter (Alex) Delvecchio
- Alfred E. (Alf) Smith
- Allan Herbert Stanley
- Allan M. (Scotty) Davidson
- Allan W. Pickard
- Anatoli V. Tarasov
- Anders Borje Salming
- Andrew James (Andy) Bathgate
- Andy Van Hellemond
- Angela James
- Angus D. Campbell
- Anthony James (Tony) Esposito
- Arthur Edmund (Art) Coulter
- Arthur F. Farrel
- Arthur Howie (Art) Ross
- Arthur M. Wirtz
- Aubrey V. (Dit) Clapper
- Aurel Emile Joliat
- Bernard Allan Federko
- Bernard Joseph Andre (Boom Boom) Geoffrion
- Bernard Marcel (Bernie) Parent
- Bill Torrey
- Blair Russel
- Bob Gainey
- Bob Johnson
- Bob Pulford
- Bobby Bauer
- Brendan Shanahan
- Brett Hull
- Brian Francis O’Neill
- Brian Kilrea
- Brian Leetch
- Bruce A. Norris
- Bruce Stuart
- Bryan Aldwyn Hextall
- Bryan Trottier
- Bun Cook
- Cam Neely
- Cammi Granato
- Capt. James T. Sutherland
- Carl P. Voss
- Cecil Henry (Babe) Dye
- Cecil R. (Tiny) Thompson
- Charles Adams
- Charles Graham Drinkwater
- Charles Hay
- Charles Joseph Sylvanus (Syl) Apps
- Charles Robert (Chuck) Gardiner
- Charles Thomas (Tom) Hooper
- Charles William (Charlie) Conacher
- Chris Chelios
- Clarence (Happy) Day
- Clarence S. Campbell
- Clark Gillies
- Claude C. Robinson
- Claude Earl (Chuck) Rayner
- Cliff Fletcher
- Clinton James Smith
- Clinton S. Benedict
- Conn Smythe
- Craig Patrick
- Cyril Joseph (Cy) Denneny
- Dale Hawerchuk
- Darryl Glen Sittler
- Daryl K. Seaman
- David (Sweeney) Schriner
- David Michael Keon
- Denis Potvin
- Denis Savard
- Dick Duff
- Didier Pitre
- Dino Ciccarelli
- Donald H. (Dan) Bain
- Doug Gilmour
- Douglas Bradford (Brad) Park
- Douglas Norman Harvey
- Douglas Wagner (Doug) Bentley
- Duncan McMillan (Mickey) MacKay
- E. S. (Chaucer) Elliott
- Earl Walter Seibert
- Ebenezer Ralston (Ebbie) Goodfellow
- Ed Belfour
- Ed Chynoweth
- Edgar Laprade
- Edouard (Newsy) Lalonde
- Edward (Eddie, Fast Eddie) Giacomin
- Edward George (Eddie) Gerard
- Edward M. Snider
- Edward Reginald (Reg) Noble
- Edward William (Eddie) Shore
- Elmer James Lach
- Emile (Butch) Bouchard
- Emile P. Francis
- Ernest (Ernie) Russell
- Ernest (Moose) Johnson
- F. J. (Mickey) Ion
- Father David Bauer
- Ferdinand Charles (Fernie) Flaman
- Foster W. Hewitt
- Francis (Frank) McGee
- Francis Charles (Frank) Brimsek
- Francis M. (King) Clancy
- Francis Nelson
- Francis William (Frank) Mahovlich
- Francois X. (Frank) Boucher
- Frank A. Griffiths
- Frank A. Patrick
- Frank Buckland
- Frank C. Foyston
- Frank Calder
- Frank D. Smith
- Frank Dilio
- Frank Fredrickson
- Frank J. Selke
- Frank Nighbor
- Frank Rankin
- Frank S. Mathers
- Frank Udvari
- Frank Xavier (Moose) Goheen
- Fred C. Waghorne (builder) n/a
- Fred G. (Steamer) Maxwell
- Fred J. Hume
- Fred Shero
- Frederick (Cyclone) Taylor
- Frederick Hugh (Hughie) Lehman
- Frederick Page
- Frederick Whitcroft
- Fredrick (Fred) Scanlan
- G. A. (Al) Leader
- Gen. John R. Kilpatrick
- George (Buck) Boucher
- George (Punch) Imlach
- George Edward (Chief) Armstrong
- George Hainsworth
- George Hayes
- George McNamara
- George Reginald (Red) Horner
- George Richardson
- George S. Dudley
- George V. Brown
- George William Hay
- Georges Vezina
- Gerald Michael (Gerry) Cheevers
- Geraldine Heaney
- Gilbert (Gil) Perreault
- Glen Sather
- Glenn Anderson
- Glenn Henry Hall
- Gordon (Gordie) Howe
- Gordon Allan (Phat) Wilson
- Gordon Arthur Drillon
- Gordon Blanchard (Duke) Keats
- Gordon Roberts
- Gordon W. Juckes
- Grant Fuhr
- Gunther Sabetzki
- Guy Damien Lafleur
- Guy Gerard Lapointe
- Hamilton Livingston (Billy) Gilmour
- Harley Hotchkiss
- Harold (Harry) Oliver
- Harold E. Ballard
- Harold Hugh (Harry) Cameron
- Harold Joseph (Bullet Joe) Simpson
- Harrold M (Harry) Hyland
- Harry (Apple Cheeks) Lumley
- Harry (Hap) Holmes
- Harry (Rat) Westwick
- Harry E. (Moose) Watson
- Harry J. Sinden
- Harry L. (Punch) Broadbent
- Harry Percival (Whipper) Watson
- Harvey (Busher) Jackson
- Harvey Pulford
- Hector (Toe) Blake
- Henry Judah (Harry) Trihey
- Henry Vernon (Harry) Howell
- Herb Brooks
- Herbert (Herbie) Lewis
- Herbert Martin (Herb) Gardiner
- Herbert William (Buddy) O’Connor
- Hobart Amery Hare (Hobey) Baker
- Howard William (Howie) Morenz
- Hubert George (Bill) Quackenbush
- Ian “Scotty” Morrison
- Igor Larionov
- Irvine Wallace (Ace) Bailey
- Ivan Wilfred (Ching) Johnson
- J. A. (Jack) Butterfield
- J. A. (Jimmy) Dunn
- J. Ambrose O’Brien
- J. C. V. (Jim) Hendy
- J. Cooper Smeaton
- J. D. (Jack) Ruttan
- J. F. (Bunny) Ahearne
- Jacques Gerard Lemaire
- James D. Norris
- James Dickenson (Dick) Irvin
- James Henry (Jimmy) Gardner
- James Norris Sr.
- Jari Pekka Kurri
- Jean Arthur Beliveau
- Jean Baptiste (Jack) Laviolette
- Jim Devellano
- Jim Gregory
- Joe Nieuwendyk
- Joe Sakic
- John A. Ziegler, Jr.
- John Bower (Bouse) Hutton
- John C. (Jack) Marshall
- John Calverley (Jake) Milford
- John D’Amico
- John G. Ashley
- John James (Jack) Adams
- John L. (Jack) Gibson
- John Mariucci
- John P. Bickell
- John Paul (Johnny) Bucyk
- John Phillip (Jack) Walker
- John Proctor (Jack) Darragh
- John Ross Robertson
- John Sherratt (Black Jack) Stewart
- John William (Johnny) Bower
- Joseph Cattarinich
- Joseph Gilbert Yvon (Jean) Ratelle
- Joseph Henri (Pocket Rocket) Richard
- Joseph Henri Maurice (The Rocket) Richard
- Joseph Henry (Joe) Hall
- Joseph Jacques (Jake the Snake) Plante
- Joseph Jacques Hughes Laperriere
- Joseph Mullen
- Jospeph Lynn Patrick
- Keith Allen
- Kenneth Joseph (Kenny) Reardon
- Kenneth Wayne Dryden
- Lanny McDonald
- Larry Murphy
- Larry Robinson
- Leo J. V. Dandurand
- Leo Joseph Boivin
- Leonard Patrick (Red) Kelly
- Lester Patrick
- Lionel Conacher
- Lloyd Turner
- Lord (of Preston) Stanley
- Lorne John (Gump) Worsley
- Lou Lamoriello
- Luc Robitaille
- M. I. (Matt) Pavelich
- Maj. Frederic McLaughlin
- Marcel Elphege Dionne
- Marcel Pronovost
- Mario Lemieux
- Mark Howe
- Mark Messier
- Martin (Marty) Walsh
- Martin A. (Marty) Barry
- Mats Sundin
- Maurice Joseph (Joe) Malone
- Maxwell Herbert Lloyd Bentley
- Mervyn (Red) Dutton
- Michael (Mike) Grant
- Michael J. Rodden
- Michel Goulet
- Mike Bossy
- Mike Gartner
- Mike Ilitch
- Miles Gilbert (Tim) Horton
- Milton Conrad (Milt) Schmidt
- Monsignor Athol (Père) Murray
- Murray Bert Olmstead
- Murray Costello
- Neil McNeil Colville
- Neil P. Armstrong
- Nelson (Old Poison) Stewart
- Norman R. (Bud) Poile
- Norman Victor Alexander (Norm) Ullman
- Oliver Levi Seibert
- Pat LaFontaine
- Patrick Joseph (Paddy) Moran
- Patrick Roy
- Paul Coffey
- Paul Loicq
- Pavel Bure
- Percy LeSueur
- Peter Stastny
- Philip Anthony (Phil) Esposito
- Philip D. Ross
- Pierre Paul Pilote
- R. A. (Red) Storey
- R. W. (Bobby) Hewitson
- Ralph (Cooney) Weiland
- Ray Scapinello
- Raymond Bourque
- Reginald (Hooley) Smith
- Richard R. (Dickie) Boon
- Richard Winston (Dickie) Moore
- Robert (Bob) LeBel
- Robert Blake Theodore (Ted) Lindsay
- Robert Earle (Bobby) Clarke
- Robert Gordon (Bobby) Orr
- Robert Marvin (Bobby) Hull
- Rod Langway
- Rodrigue Gabriel (Rod) Gilbert
- Roger Paul Neilson
- Ron Francis
- Roy (Shrimp) Worters
- Roy Conacher
- Rudy Pilous
- Russell (Barney) Stanley
- Russell (Dubbie) Bowie
- Sam Pollock
- Samuel Russell (Rusty) Crawford
- Scott Niedermayer
- Scott Stevens
- Scotty Bowman
- Sen. Donat Raymond
- Sen. Hartland deM. Molson
- Serge Aubrey Savard
- Seymour H., III Knox
- Sidney Gerald (Sid) Abel
- Silas Seth (Si) Griffis
- Sir Montagu Allan
- Sprague Cleghorn
- Stanley (Stan) Mikita
- Stephen John Shutt
- Steve Yzerman
- Sydney Harris (Syd) Howe
- Sylvio Mantha
- T. F. (Tommy) Lockhart
- T. Franklin Ahearn
- T. P. (Tommy) Gorman
- Terrance Gordon (Terry) Sawchuk
- Theodre Samuel (Ted Teeder) Kennedy
- Thomas Christian (Tom) Johnson
- Thomas Dunderdale
- Thomas J. Smith
- Thomas N. (Tommy) Phillips
- Thomas N. Ivan
- Valeri Kharlamov
- Viacheslav Fetisov
- Vladislav Aleksandrovich Tretiak
- W. L. (Bill) Chadwick
- W. M. (Bill) Jennings
- Walter (Babe) Pratt
- Walter A. Brown
- Walter Bush
- Walter Edward (Turk) Broda
- Wayne Gretzky
- Weston W. Sr. Adams
- Wilfred Thomas (Shorty) Green
- William (Bill) Cook
- William (Bill) Hanley
- William (Bill) John Smith
- William (Bill) Mosienko
- William (Billy) Burch
- William Alexander (Bill) Gadsby
- William Charles (Bill) Barber
- William George (Billy) McGimsie
- William H. (Hod) Stuart
- William M. Northey
- William Mailes (Bill) Cowley
- William Milton (Riley) Hern
- William Ronald (Bill) Durnan
- William Thayer Tutt
- William W. Wirtz
- Woody Dumart
- Yvan Serge (Roadrunner) Cournoyer
Posts Tagged Chicago Blackhawks
- Eliotte Friedman of CBC: On the Canucks rumors:
“Canuck rumour I: That the Aquilini family forced Tortorella on Gillis. Verdict: Skeptical.”
“Canuck rumour II: That ownership blocked Gillis from trading Ryan Kesler at the deadline. Verdict: Don’t believe it.”
“Canuck rumour III: That ownership is courting Trevor Linden. Verdict: God only knows.”
The six teams that are believed to be in Ryan Kesler’s list: Ducks, Blackhawks, Avalanche, Red Wings, Penguins and Lightning. Only the Ducks and Penguins were really into trading for him at the draft.
The Islanders will have to let the Sabres know by June first if they will be sending them their first round pick this year as part of the Thomas Vanek-Matt Moulson trade.
The Islanders had targeted Sebastien Colberg with their 34th pick in 2012 but the Canadiens took him at 33. Could be one of the reasons the Islanders took the Canadiens offer over the Wild and Maple Leafs offers.
A former teammate on Steve Yzerman regarding the Martin St. Louis situation: ”I’ve seen him angry before… but never that angry.”
Rumor that the Oilers were looking hard at Sabres Tyler Myers. Getting shot down. Name may have come up, but it was determined quickly that there was not a match.
Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis “took a hatchet” to trade rumors involving the Panthers and Nikolai Kulemin.
Wild GM Chuck Fletcher is getting a contract extension.
Quote from trade deadline: ”Want to make Bob Murray laugh? Ask him if John Gibson is available.”
Teams called the Senators about defenseman Jared Cowen.
“I believe this guy is going to be a really good player for a long time,” Murray said. “He’s lost his confidence. We’re going to send him home in the summer and start fresh next year with a new outlook. That’s all it is.”
- Pat Hickey of the Montreal Gazette: Canadiens Thomas Vanek doesn’t want to talk about his pending UFA status.
“My focus is on helping the Canadiens win,” Vanek said after joining the team in Phoenix. “That’s all I’m thinking about now.”
- Mike Chambers of the Denver Post: Avs are confident they will be able to re-sign pending UFA Reto Berra to a multi-year deal.
“We’re presently working on signing him,” Roy said, adding that he and vice president Joe Sakic would not have given up a second-round draft pick if they expected Berra would test free agency.
Avs J.S. Giguere could be leaning towards retirement.
“Not 100 percent sure, but definitely leaning that way,” he said of retirement.”You have to be honest with yourself, and (the end of the season) might be the time. But I don’t want to talk about that right now. It’s not the time or place.”
- The Fourth Period: The Canadiens have upped their offer to Andrei Markov from one year up to two years, worth around the same as he’s making this season, $5.75 million. It is thought that Markov has been asking for a three or four year deal. Negotiations will continue, but the Canadiens may be holding firm on just two years.
- Hope Smoke: Pierre LeBrun: ”Odd dynamic in Van. Talked to a scout yesterday who said the Canucks D group is a puck moving core & they’re playing a chip & chase”
- Hope Smoke: Pierre LeBrun: ”Canucks told everyone that other than the twins everyone else was available? Why not trade the twins too?” … ”If you’re going to rebuild, why not sit down with the Sedins and blow it up completely?” … ”The twins have not been good since the day they signed their extension, Garrisson and Edler have been brutal. Burrows can’t score” … ”All these players are having career worst seasons. Is this just a coincidence? It goes back to talking about Tortorella”
Here is our third installment of tracking home attendance, the 30 game mark, with comparisons from after 20 games this year and last seasons final numbers.
The outdoor games have boosted the attendance for several teams. The Senators and Blues Jackets had their attendance increase without a ‘Stadium’ game.
- NHL Player Safety: Blue Jackets Blake Comeau will have a phone hearing today for his hit on Red Wings Brendan Smith.
- Darren Dreger: NHLPAs Mathieu Schneider said that the players are not interested in playing longer games. They would like to less games ending in a shootout. NHLPA would like more testing on the long change during OT or any other ways to encourage the game ending during regulation. NHLPA would also like to have more interference be allowed in attempt to slow the game down a bit. Also, removing the trapezoid to relieve pressure on the defenseman.
- Renaud Lavoie: They still need to discuss goalie obstruction as they couldn’t decide on anything.
- John Shannon: There will be no more talk on three-on-three in OT.
- Elliotte Friedman: Flames GM Brian Burke said that Mathieu Schneider talked about allowing defenseman to set picks for their partners when there is a forecheck “and their is some merit to that.”
- Mike Heika: Stars GM Jim Nill confirmed that Alex Chiasson will not travel with the team on their road trip. Chiasson was shaken up by Rich Peverley’s incident.
- mc79hockey: Since Lockout II, teams that had a three goal leading heading into the third period were 979-6-32 in regulation.
- Bruce Arthur: “So yeah, the only other team since 2005 to blow a three-goal lead entering the third and lose by three was also coached by John Tortorella.”
- Sporting News NHL: Blackhawks Teuvo Teravainen could join the team before the playoffs.
- Katie Carrera: The Capitals recall Casey Wellman and Patrick Wey from the AHL.
- Ryan Kennedy: “The more I hear about the volatility in this year’s draft, the more I tip my hat to the NHL scouts/GMs who actually have to make the picks.”
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Teams are putting more value on draft picks than in the past.
“Teams aren’t like they used to be. They want to get value for draft picks,” said a league executive after the deadline. “We found that teams put a much heavier emphasis on picks. They don’t want to just give them away anymore.
“Teams have put a high value on them. That’s the case and that’s why teams want to pay for the first- round picks for them.”
Both the Penguins and Blackhawks were working right to the deadline on a potential Ryan Kesler deal.
The Senators and Maple Leafs were talking to the Islanders about Thomas Vanek.
A couple of teams asked the Rangers about Derek Dorsett.
The Flames would have traded Dennis Wideman, but no team wanted his contract.
Teams were calling the Senators about Curtis Lazar.
Talk is that Flames GM Brian Burke was demanding a first round pick for Mike Cammalleri right up to the deadline and wasn’t backing down from it.
The Ducks were in on Thomas Vanek and moved Dustin Penner as they thought they had a good shot. They also may have thought the asking price for Cammalleri was too high.
The Rangers and Ryan Callahan weren’t far apart when they made the Martin St. Louis trade. The Rangers wouldn’t include a no-trade clause and were in a foul mood. When talks started with Callahan, he reportedly asked for seven years and $56 million, $8 million a season.
The Blues were willing to trade Derek Roy, but couldn’t find a fit.
- Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger: Devils Martin Brodeur said he wants to play next year, and he doesn’t have to be a No. 1 goalie.
“No, just to play more and have the chance to win the Stanley Cup. Be in the playoffs,” Brodeur said Friday. “Those were some of the requirements I had, not just being outside looking in. I didn’t want to come back to a situation like this.”
- Darren Dreger: Sabres Rostislav Klesla: ”With all due respect to the Sabres organization, I decided this week not to continue playing hockey this season. It has been a tough year for injury and moving several times to new teams. I will now take some time off and get ready to continue my career in Europe. I would like to thank my fans and all the people that have helped me. I am grateful for the career I have had in the NHL and all the people that I have met along the way who have supported me and my family.”
- Hockey Night in Canada Hotstove:
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Senators Clarke MacArthur won’t need surgery to fix his injured tendon in his hand. He suffered the injury fighting Flames Chris Butler. He won’t play tomorrow, and could return next Saturday.
“The only update I have is they don’t need to do surgery so that’s as positive as it could be,” said coach Paul MacLean before Saturday’s game.
“It’s more to do with pain threshold and ability to hang onto the stick. Those will be the factors that go into it.”
Mike Heika: Stars Kari Lehtonen left after being hit by Erik Haula: “Obviously, it’s not good. He went in hard, hit the crossbar hard. The likelihood is it’s a concussion on just a dirt play. It should be suspended. A fourth liner takes out our goaltender.”
- Pat Leonard: Rangers coach Alain Vigneault is not concerned about Anton Stralman’s ankle or Brad Richards’ wrist.
- Scott Powers: Blackhawks Marian Hossa could return to the ice this week and possibly be back in the lineup next week.
- Rob Mixer: Blue Jackets defenseman Ryan Murray will be out four to six weeks after having knee surgery.
- Ansar Khan: Red Wings Jonas Gustavsson is out with a sore groin. Petr Mrazek has been recalled.
- Adrian Dater: Avs Patrick Roy on Paul Stastny’s injury: ”We’ll know more next few days”
- Eric Stephens: Ducks Luca Sbisa (lower-body) is day-to-day.
Trade Deadline Fallout II: Ligntning, Flames, Sabres, Pens, Caps, Jets, Hawks, Leafs, Devils and Flyers
- Steve Zipay: Lightning GM Steve Yzerman said that there were several discussions with Martin St. Louis about the decision to trade him. Tells media to ask St. Louis “why the Rangers.”
- Wes Gilbertson: Flames GM Brian Burke said they agreed on terms of a deal that would have seen them take on a contract, but the other team couldn’t make it happen by the deadline.
- Buffalo Sabres: Sabres GM Tim Murray: “I didn’t come into today expecting to trade draft picks.” Liked the forward prospects #Sabres got though. “Heavy, skilled forwards.”
- Pittsburgh Penguins: Penguins GM Ray Shero said they asked about Ryan Kesler, but there was not a deal to be made. Shero added that their goal was to increase their forward depth and they think they’ve done that.
- Sky Kerstein: Capitals GM George McPhee on them getting Rostislav Klesla in the Martin Erat trade: ”it’s the only way Phoenix could do the deal”
- Paul Friesen: Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff: ”I was close to paying some of those (high) prices (for a rental player).”
- Ken Wiebe: Cheveldayoff said there was interest in some of their pending UFAs, but they weren’t in a sell-mode. Added that there were plenty of calls made on rental players, mostly forwards. He never talked about trading a first round pick.
- Ed Tait: Cheveldayoff said there were no serious conversations about any of their core players.
- Chris Kuc: Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman: ”I always just kind of chuckle when I see all these reports. I guess that’s the world we live in today.”
- Dave Feschuk: Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis said they are not ready for a rental player: ”When you can give up 1st-rd picks or top young players and not feel it, you’re ready.”
- Dave Feschuk: Nonis said that he talked with other GMs whose ”teams with a chance to win the Cup” and they were complaining that the asking prices were too high.
- Randy Miller: Devils GM Lou Lamoriello on Martin Brodeur: ”it’s a shame that with no substance at different times and no facts that people say things.”
- Tim Panaccio: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said that there were “no real discussions” on Ryan Kesler other than finding out what the Canucks wanted. No real offer was made.
- David Pagnotta: “Since yesterday evening, seems things have picked up with Habs. Again, no guarantees, but they’re exploring multiple options on trade front”
- Pierre LeBrun: “Teams continue to phone Vancouver on Alex Edler… Wasn’t a chip Canucks really looking to move that much but if price is right…”
- Dave Isaac: “Keep in mind, teams can now go above 23 on their rosters, but have to be cap compliant until playoffs. #Flyers roughly $2.45 M under.”
- John Vogl: “One thing to note about the Sabres and trades: @capgeek says they have reached their limit on retaining salaries, so any deal is straight-up”
- John Vogl: “Sabres looking at ‘couple names’ on waiver wire, getting calls on 25 percent of roster, GM tells team site “
- Josh Yohe: “We know Pens are willing to deal Despres. Have to wonder where his value is right now. Physically gifted. Hasn’t put it all together yet.”
- Louis Jean: “As I reported yesterday, #Ducks very interested in Kesler. Will a deal get done by 3pm Eastern or will it happen at the draft?”
- Craig Custance: “If Canucks get the return they’re looking for, they do have the green light from ownership to make a Kesler deal today.”
- Spector’s Hockey: “I don’t expect #Leafs to trade James Reimer at deadline. They need him in case Bernier burns out or gets hurt down the stretch.”
- Darren Dreger: “When looking at Brodeur trade possibilities, important to note Marty doesn’t have to be number one. Just the right opportunity/change.”
- Michael Russo: “BLOG: #mnwild talking to the Buffalo Sabres about Drew Stafford “
- Louis Jean: “Told it seems unlikely OLli Jokinen will be traded by #Jets. To be continued.”
- Bob McKenzie: “Getting a sense remaining Kesler options for VAN are PIT or ANA or not trading him at the deadline. Fluid process, tho. Still time.”
- Nick Kypreos: “Hearing the Canadiens shopping Lars Eller today. Worst kept secret is Bergevin wants more size.”
- Mark Spector: “Out of CGY, Hudler not out of play. Could help a lot of teams, esp CHI with Hossa hurt. Would love to move Wideman contract. Unlikely.”
- Pierre LeBrun: “B’s still looking for a D-man, maybe get 1 or 2 depending on price… Options include likes of N. Schultz, Meszaros, Tallinder, among others”
- David Pagnotta: “I expect Columbus to do more than simply trade Gaborik… They want a defenseman and could add a scorer. They’ve inquired about Cammalleri.”
- Dale Lamontagne: “The New York Rangers have received several inquires regarding Brian Boyle, according to the New York Post.”
- Rob Rossi: ” #Pens not sure if Kesler is still in play.”
- Mark Spector: “Per @reporterchris, D Sami Vatanen being available should intrigue a lot of GMs. Also a sign ANA is clearing room for something big.”
- Jim Diamond: “My guess is that Poile works out a deal to trade Legwand today. Whether or not he accepts it or not is a different story.”
- David Pagnotta: “Colorado looking for veteran defenseman with term. Guys like McGinn, Parenteau among available players for a ‘hockey trade’”
- Bruce Garrioch: “My friend Denis Potvin says Anaheim Ducks have made multiple phone calls on Jason Spezza. Still doubt he moves today.”
- Nick Kypreos: “#Devils will try and move Brodeur. He told his GM last nite he wants out. Lou told him not great market but he’d try his best to do it.”
- Chris Botta: “As of late last night, the Ducks, Kings and Sharks want you to believe they’re out on Vanek. That could change, of course.”
- Pierre LeBrun: “As for any speculation about Kesler and Chicago, told by Hawks source that they are NOT in on that. Also not looking for a backup goalie”
- Darren Dreger: “Nothing in the works, but if the Leafs do something today…it will be big or nothing. Let the Gardiner, Kadri rumours fly.”
Sarah McLellan: The Phoenix Coyotes trade defenseman David Rundblad to the Blackhawks for a 2014 2nd round pick.
Rich Hairn: The Blackhawks will also get defenseman Mathieu Brisebois.
- Brian Lawton: Lawton says not to be surprised if Ryan Kesler ends up with the Blackhawks in a three way deal. There is a lot going on behind the scenes on this one.
- David Pagnotta: The Canucks have been telling some teams that Alex Edler is no longer available to them. Teams are still poking around. It would take a big offer to get him. Edler has a no-trade clause. Pagnotta doesn’t know if a list has been submitted. Some of the teams there were told he is not available was due to the lack assets that, that organization has.
- Jimmy Murphy: Told that trade talks involving Roberto Luongo and the Capitals are heating up. One NHL executive on the Capitals and Luongo, ”Caps are desperate. Wouldn’t surprise me.”
- James Mirtle: Mirtle is hearing that the Coyotes are up to something. Coyotes wanting to make a playoff push.
- Bob McKenzie: On waivers: Trevor Smith (TOR), Jake Dowell (MIN), Corey Potter (EDM), Joe Corvo and Cory Conacher (OTT), Derek Smith (CGY), Scott Gomez and Scott Clemmensen (FLA).
- Hope Smoke: Nick Kypreos: ”I wouldn’t be surprised if at 3 tomorrow we see deals completed and the NHL shuts them down because the money doesn’t work”
- Steve Zipay: “Hearing it’s not only $$$ that’s separating NYR and Callahan, but no-trade/no-move issue. Of course, that’s bargaining chip for both sides”
- Joe Haggerty: The Bruins will know more about the extent of Adam McQuaid’s injury by the end of the week.
- Jimmy Murphy: The Bruins are one of the teams interested in Stars Stephane Robidas. One NHL executive said it would ”cost definitely a 3rd rd pick maybe a 2nd”.
- David Pagnotta: There is a report that Canadiens have offered Brian Gionta a contract extension. Not true, talks should start after the trade deadline.
- Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Ryan Kesler remains the Penguins top target. The Penguins are feeling that the Flyers and Blackhawks are gaining interest in Kesler as well. If the Canucks don’t move Kesler at the deadline, the Penguins could still circle back in the offseason. GM Ray Shero wants to make a hockey deal to address their third line scoring and toughness. Shero has ownership’s backing to go all-in for Kesler because he has two remaining years on his contract. The Penguins want to keep Derrick Pouliot and Scott Harrington and give up draft picks instead. That could obviously change. A deal could also expand to include more players.
The Penguins are also watching the Matt Moulson situation and could fall back to it if they feel they are going to lose out on Kesler, or if the Canucks plan to keep him. The Penguins won’t overpay for a rental.
The Penguins are interested in Andrew MacDonald. Upgrading their blueline is their second priority after Kesler. The Pens maybe okay with adding a rental on the blueline.
The Penguins have sent pro scout Don Waddell to watch the past couple NJ Devils games. The Devils have three pending free agents on the blueline: Marek Zidlicky, Mark Fayne and Eric Gelinas (RFA)
- Mark Spector of SportNet: The Red Wings like Canucks Alex Edler and plenty of teams like Ryan Kesler. The Penguins are the front-runner for Kesler. The Blackhawks may have trouble fitting Kesler’s cap hit in. The Leafs giving up Nazam Kadri or a first to acquire Kesler in a Stanley Cup hope would be foolish.
The Senators are still talking about adding Chris Stewart.The Rangers could be interested in Ales Hemsky for a third round pick. The Oilers don’t have a second or third round pick in this year’s draft. They will be looking for second round pick for Hemsky. Nick Schultz, Ryan Smyth and Ilya Bryzgalov could be dealt for picks.
The Jets are looking for a winger, which could then allow them to move Dustin Byfuglien back to the blueline. It would have to be a money in, money out deal. The Jets could decide to shop Byfuglien. The Flyers would be one of many teams that would be interested.
The Flyers are interested in Andrew MacDonald.
The Flames will trade Mike Cammalleri.
The LA Kings and Matt Moulson remain linked to each other.
- TSN: Sources telling Darren Dreger that the Senators are ‘quietly gauging interest’ in Jason Spezza. Spezza has a no-trade clause. Spezza has one-year left on his deal and carries a $7 million salary cap hit. He has a salary of $4 million next season.
- Pierre LeBrun: The Stars won’t be looking at rentals, looking for hockey deals.
“Correct, we’re not going to be in the rental market,” Stars GM Jim Nill told ESPN.com Monday. “But if there’s a hockey deal that makes sense, we’ll look at it.”
“We’re open for business, I’m always looking at things, but I’m not rushing to do something just to move a body to get a pick,” said Nill.
LeBrun thinks the Blackhawks will stand pat. Can always change quickly though.
The Red Wings are among the teams interested in Christian Ehrhoff. He’s a $4 million salary cap hit, but is only owed $17 million over the next seven seasons.
Nothing new to report on Chris Phillips one-year offer from the Senators. He’s believed to be looking for a two-year extension. The Bruins could be interested, but it’s not known if the Senators would want to trade him to a division rival.
The Bruins are among the teams interested in Andrew MacDonald.
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: The Wild seem like a fit for Martin Brodeur. Darcy Kuemper has looked really good, but what if he falters or gets hurt? Niklas Backstrom has battled injuries all season and Josh Harding has his MS flare ups. They looked at Ryan Miller before he was dealt. Jaroslav Halak could be an option. Two questions are: Does Lamoriello want to trade Marty and will the Wild give the Devils what they would want for Marty? Viktor Fasth could be available. Same with Tim Thomas, Justin Peters and Ilya Bryzgalov.
- Pat Pickens of SportsNet: Top 10 rental players: 1. Thomas Vanek 2. Jaromir Jagr 3. Ryan Callahan 4. Andrew MacDonald 5. Brad Boyes 6. David Legwand 7. Matt Moulson 8. Ales Hemsky 9. Chris Phillips 10. Mike Cammalleri
Afternoon Rumors and Notes: Moulson, Kesler, Scrivens, Wings, Hawks, Waivers, Flyers, Brodeur, Bruins and Devils
- Pierre LeBrun: Sabres Matt Moulson is not practicing today. GM Tim Murray said that Moulson hasn’t been traded.
- Nick Kypreos: There are many people who believe that Ryan Kesler told the Canucks that he doesn’t want to play in Canada anymore if they are able to make a trade for him. He has a no-trade clause.
- Josh Rimer: Ben Scrivens signs a two-year deal with the Oilers worth $4.6 million total according to his agent.
- Detroit Red Wings: GM Ken Holland said that Pavel Datsyuk and Stephen Weiss won’t play tomorrow. Ansar Khan: Datsyuk is not skating today and hasn’t since leaving Thursday’s game.
- Scott Powers: Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said that Marian Hossa will be out for two to three weeks.
- Pierre LeBrun: On waivers today: Devan Dubnyk (NSH), Frazer McLaren (TOR), Chuck Kobasew (PIT) and Philip Larsen (EDM).
- Hope Smoke: Leafs Claude Loiselle: ”We waived McLaren to give us some flexibility for the trade deadline”
- Jim Matheson: The Flyers do have the assets to land Ryan Kesler. Would they do Sean Couturier or Brayden Schenn and Samuel Morin?
- Rich Chere: Martin Brodeur: ”As of now there is nothing going on.”
- Mark Spector: Spector keeps hearing Martin Brodeur and the Wild being linked.
- Hope Smoke: Doug MacLean: “Here is what you have to do with Vanek. You have to entice Snow to take prospects and not the big draft picks”
- Joe Haggerty: The Bruins are looking for a top-four defenseman for the left side. They could use depth on the right side. Dustin Byfuglien is intriguing, but he’s a right shot.
- Rich Chere: Devils coach Pete DeBoer said that both Damien Brunner and Bryce Salvador could play on Tuesday.