- Free Agents
- 2014 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2014 UFA Centers
- 2014 UFA Left Wingers
- 2014 UFA Right Wingers
- 2014 UFA Defenseman
- 2014 UFA Goalies
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- Hall of Fame
- A. Joseph (Joe) Primeau
- Adam Oates
- Al Arbour
- Al MacInnis
- Albert Charles (Babe) Siebert
- Alex Connell
- Alexander Peter (Alex) Delvecchio
- Alfred E. (Alf) Smith
- Allan Herbert Stanley
- Allan M. (Scotty) Davidson
- Allan W. Pickard
- Anatoli V. Tarasov
- Anders Borje Salming
- Andrew James (Andy) Bathgate
- Andy Van Hellemond
- Angela James
- Angus D. Campbell
- Anthony James (Tony) Esposito
- Arthur Edmund (Art) Coulter
- Arthur F. Farrel
- Arthur Howie (Art) Ross
- Arthur M. Wirtz
- Aubrey V. (Dit) Clapper
- Aurel Emile Joliat
- Bernard Allan Federko
- Bernard Joseph Andre (Boom Boom) Geoffrion
- Bernard Marcel (Bernie) Parent
- Bill Torrey
- Blair Russel
- Bob Gainey
- Bob Johnson
- Bob Pulford
- Bobby Bauer
- Brendan Shanahan
- Brett Hull
- Brian Francis O’Neill
- Brian Kilrea
- Brian Leetch
- Bruce A. Norris
- Bruce Stuart
- Bryan Aldwyn Hextall
- Bryan Trottier
- Bun Cook
- Cam Neely
- Cammi Granato
- Capt. James T. Sutherland
- Carl P. Voss
- Cecil Henry (Babe) Dye
- Cecil R. (Tiny) Thompson
- Charles Adams
- Charles Graham Drinkwater
- Charles Hay
- Charles Joseph Sylvanus (Syl) Apps
- Charles Robert (Chuck) Gardiner
- Charles Thomas (Tom) Hooper
- Charles William (Charlie) Conacher
- Chris Chelios
- Clarence (Happy) Day
- Clarence S. Campbell
- Clark Gillies
- Claude C. Robinson
- Claude Earl (Chuck) Rayner
- Cliff Fletcher
- Clinton James Smith
- Clinton S. Benedict
- Conn Smythe
- Craig Patrick
- Cyril Joseph (Cy) Denneny
- Dale Hawerchuk
- Darryl Glen Sittler
- Daryl K. Seaman
- David (Sweeney) Schriner
- David Michael Keon
- Denis Potvin
- Denis Savard
- Dick Duff
- Didier Pitre
- Dino Ciccarelli
- Donald H. (Dan) Bain
- Doug Gilmour
- Douglas Bradford (Brad) Park
- Douglas Norman Harvey
- Douglas Wagner (Doug) Bentley
- Duncan McMillan (Mickey) MacKay
- E. S. (Chaucer) Elliott
- Earl Walter Seibert
- Ebenezer Ralston (Ebbie) Goodfellow
- Ed Belfour
- Ed Chynoweth
- Edgar Laprade
- Edouard (Newsy) Lalonde
- Edward (Eddie, Fast Eddie) Giacomin
- Edward George (Eddie) Gerard
- Edward M. Snider
- Edward Reginald (Reg) Noble
- Edward William (Eddie) Shore
- Elmer James Lach
- Emile (Butch) Bouchard
- Emile P. Francis
- Ernest (Ernie) Russell
- Ernest (Moose) Johnson
- F. J. (Mickey) Ion
- Father David Bauer
- Ferdinand Charles (Fernie) Flaman
- Foster W. Hewitt
- Francis (Frank) McGee
- Francis Charles (Frank) Brimsek
- Francis M. (King) Clancy
- Francis Nelson
- Francis William (Frank) Mahovlich
- Francois X. (Frank) Boucher
- Frank A. Griffiths
- Frank A. Patrick
- Frank Buckland
- Frank C. Foyston
- Frank Calder
- Frank D. Smith
- Frank Dilio
- Frank Fredrickson
- Frank J. Selke
- Frank Nighbor
- Frank Rankin
- Frank S. Mathers
- Frank Udvari
- Frank Xavier (Moose) Goheen
- Fred C. Waghorne (builder) n/a
- Fred G. (Steamer) Maxwell
- Fred J. Hume
- Fred Shero
- Frederick (Cyclone) Taylor
- Frederick Hugh (Hughie) Lehman
- Frederick Page
- Frederick Whitcroft
- Fredrick (Fred) Scanlan
- G. A. (Al) Leader
- Gen. John R. Kilpatrick
- George (Buck) Boucher
- George (Punch) Imlach
- George Edward (Chief) Armstrong
- George Hainsworth
- George Hayes
- George McNamara
- George Reginald (Red) Horner
- George Richardson
- George S. Dudley
- George V. Brown
- George William Hay
- Georges Vezina
- Gerald Michael (Gerry) Cheevers
- Geraldine Heaney
- Gilbert (Gil) Perreault
- Glen Sather
- Glenn Anderson
- Glenn Henry Hall
- Gordon (Gordie) Howe
- Gordon Allan (Phat) Wilson
- Gordon Arthur Drillon
- Gordon Blanchard (Duke) Keats
- Gordon Roberts
- Gordon W. Juckes
- Grant Fuhr
- Gunther Sabetzki
- Guy Damien Lafleur
- Guy Gerard Lapointe
- Hamilton Livingston (Billy) Gilmour
- Harley Hotchkiss
- Harold (Harry) Oliver
- Harold E. Ballard
- Harold Hugh (Harry) Cameron
- Harold Joseph (Bullet Joe) Simpson
- Harrold M (Harry) Hyland
- Harry (Apple Cheeks) Lumley
- Harry (Hap) Holmes
- Harry (Rat) Westwick
- Harry E. (Moose) Watson
- Harry J. Sinden
- Harry L. (Punch) Broadbent
- Harry Percival (Whipper) Watson
- Harvey (Busher) Jackson
- Harvey Pulford
- Hector (Toe) Blake
- Henry Judah (Harry) Trihey
- Henry Vernon (Harry) Howell
- Herb Brooks
- Herbert (Herbie) Lewis
- Herbert Martin (Herb) Gardiner
- Herbert William (Buddy) O’Connor
- Hobart Amery Hare (Hobey) Baker
- Howard William (Howie) Morenz
- Hubert George (Bill) Quackenbush
- Ian “Scotty” Morrison
- Igor Larionov
- Irvine Wallace (Ace) Bailey
- Ivan Wilfred (Ching) Johnson
- J. A. (Jack) Butterfield
- J. A. (Jimmy) Dunn
- J. Ambrose O’Brien
- J. C. V. (Jim) Hendy
- J. Cooper Smeaton
- J. D. (Jack) Ruttan
- J. F. (Bunny) Ahearne
- Jacques Gerard Lemaire
- James D. Norris
- James Dickenson (Dick) Irvin
- James Henry (Jimmy) Gardner
- James Norris Sr.
- Jari Pekka Kurri
- Jean Arthur Beliveau
- Jean Baptiste (Jack) Laviolette
- Jim Devellano
- Jim Gregory
- Joe Nieuwendyk
- Joe Sakic
- John A. Ziegler, Jr.
- John Bower (Bouse) Hutton
- John C. (Jack) Marshall
- John Calverley (Jake) Milford
- John D’Amico
- John G. Ashley
- John James (Jack) Adams
- John L. (Jack) Gibson
- John Mariucci
- John P. Bickell
- John Paul (Johnny) Bucyk
- John Phillip (Jack) Walker
- John Proctor (Jack) Darragh
- John Ross Robertson
- John Sherratt (Black Jack) Stewart
- John William (Johnny) Bower
- Joseph Cattarinich
- Joseph Gilbert Yvon (Jean) Ratelle
- Joseph Henri (Pocket Rocket) Richard
- Joseph Henri Maurice (The Rocket) Richard
- Joseph Henry (Joe) Hall
- Joseph Jacques (Jake the Snake) Plante
- Joseph Jacques Hughes Laperriere
- Joseph Mullen
- Jospeph Lynn Patrick
- Keith Allen
- Kenneth Joseph (Kenny) Reardon
- Kenneth Wayne Dryden
- Lanny McDonald
- Larry Murphy
- Larry Robinson
- Leo J. V. Dandurand
- Leo Joseph Boivin
- Leonard Patrick (Red) Kelly
- Lester Patrick
- Lionel Conacher
- Lloyd Turner
- Lord (of Preston) Stanley
- Lorne John (Gump) Worsley
- Lou Lamoriello
- Luc Robitaille
- M. I. (Matt) Pavelich
- Maj. Frederic McLaughlin
- Marcel Elphege Dionne
- Marcel Pronovost
- Mario Lemieux
- Mark Howe
- Mark Messier
- Martin (Marty) Walsh
- Martin A. (Marty) Barry
- Mats Sundin
- Maurice Joseph (Joe) Malone
- Maxwell Herbert Lloyd Bentley
- Mervyn (Red) Dutton
- Michael (Mike) Grant
- Michael J. Rodden
- Michel Goulet
- Mike Bossy
- Mike Gartner
- Mike Ilitch
- Miles Gilbert (Tim) Horton
- Milton Conrad (Milt) Schmidt
- Monsignor Athol (Père) Murray
- Murray Bert Olmstead
- Murray Costello
- Neil McNeil Colville
- Neil P. Armstrong
- Nelson (Old Poison) Stewart
- Norman R. (Bud) Poile
- Norman Victor Alexander (Norm) Ullman
- Oliver Levi Seibert
- Pat LaFontaine
- Patrick Joseph (Paddy) Moran
- Patrick Roy
- Paul Coffey
- Paul Loicq
- Pavel Bure
- Percy LeSueur
- Peter Stastny
- Philip Anthony (Phil) Esposito
- Philip D. Ross
- Pierre Paul Pilote
- R. A. (Red) Storey
- R. W. (Bobby) Hewitson
- Ralph (Cooney) Weiland
- Ray Scapinello
- Raymond Bourque
- Reginald (Hooley) Smith
- Richard R. (Dickie) Boon
- Richard Winston (Dickie) Moore
- Robert (Bob) LeBel
- Robert Blake Theodore (Ted) Lindsay
- Robert Earle (Bobby) Clarke
- Robert Gordon (Bobby) Orr
- Robert Marvin (Bobby) Hull
- Rod Langway
- Rodrigue Gabriel (Rod) Gilbert
- Roger Paul Neilson
- Ron Francis
- Roy (Shrimp) Worters
- Roy Conacher
- Rudy Pilous
- Russell (Barney) Stanley
- Russell (Dubbie) Bowie
- Sam Pollock
- Samuel Russell (Rusty) Crawford
- Scott Niedermayer
- Scott Stevens
- Scotty Bowman
- Sen. Donat Raymond
- Sen. Hartland deM. Molson
- Serge Aubrey Savard
- Seymour H., III Knox
- Sidney Gerald (Sid) Abel
- Silas Seth (Si) Griffis
- Sir Montagu Allan
- Sprague Cleghorn
- Stanley (Stan) Mikita
- Stephen John Shutt
- Steve Yzerman
- Sydney Harris (Syd) Howe
- Sylvio Mantha
- T. F. (Tommy) Lockhart
- T. Franklin Ahearn
- T. P. (Tommy) Gorman
- Terrance Gordon (Terry) Sawchuk
- Theodre Samuel (Ted Teeder) Kennedy
- Thomas Christian (Tom) Johnson
- Thomas Dunderdale
- Thomas J. Smith
- Thomas N. (Tommy) Phillips
- Thomas N. Ivan
- Valeri Kharlamov
- Viacheslav Fetisov
- Vladislav Aleksandrovich Tretiak
- W. L. (Bill) Chadwick
- W. M. (Bill) Jennings
- Walter (Babe) Pratt
- Walter A. Brown
- Walter Bush
- Walter Edward (Turk) Broda
- Wayne Gretzky
- Weston W. Sr. Adams
- Wilfred Thomas (Shorty) Green
- William (Bill) Cook
- William (Bill) Hanley
- William (Bill) John Smith
- William (Bill) Mosienko
- William (Billy) Burch
- William Alexander (Bill) Gadsby
- William Charles (Bill) Barber
- William George (Billy) McGimsie
- William H. (Hod) Stuart
- William M. Northey
- William Mailes (Bill) Cowley
- William Milton (Riley) Hern
- William Ronald (Bill) Durnan
- William Thayer Tutt
- William W. Wirtz
- Woody Dumart
- Yvan Serge (Roadrunner) Cournoyer
Posts Tagged Calgary Flames
- Craig Custance of ESPN: Three things the Lightning will have to decide on this offseason: 1. Make a decision of Ryan Callahan - the Lightning would like to keep him, but there will be a limit on what they will want to pay him. He should be able to get about $6.25 million on the open market. A team like the Sabres may be willing to go max term for Callahan. 2. Add depth on defense – Sami Salo will be a UFA and GM Steve Yzerman may look for a defenseman who is not closing in on 40. Maybe Yzerman could try to convince Dan Boyle to return. 3. Get Jonathan Drouin acclimated.
- Craig Custance of ESPN: (chat) When asked about his suggestion for the Capitals to trade Mike Green despite the fact that he might not be an attractive package due to declining play, contract and injury history … “No, they definitely wouldn’t be maxing out his value. But something has to change there in DC. You can’t move OV, you shouldn’t move Backstrom. You can’t keep bringing back the same core over and over and expect different results.”
The Avs have to re-sign both Ryan O’Reilly and Paul Stastny this offseason. Custance thinks Stastny could get a deal in the $7 million range. There are not a lot of 28-year old center on the free agent market this year.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Artus Irbe could replace Jim Corsi as the Sabres goalie coach.
Pending UFA Nick Schultz may be one and done with the Blue Jackets as he hasn’t been able to get into their top six along the blueline since being traded from the Oilers.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”Most definitely the Lightning are going to need help on their blueline moving forward.”
- Hope Smoke: Nick Kypreos: ”I don’t think Fleury has totally recovered. I think MAF still had the yips.” … ”Now that teams can retain $, there will be a lot of teams willing to take on Fleury as a rehabilition project if he’s available”
- Hope Smoke: Jamie McLennan: ”The capologist for the Flames should have been shown the door after the ROR offer sheet. I know who it is”
- The Fourth Period: There has been talk that the Hurricanes could look to trade Eric Staal this offseason.
“I’ve been here a long time. I love it here. I’ve had success here. I know and I believe we can again, and I can be a part of that,” Staal told reporters on Tuesday.
“I think I can be part of the right things going forward. Obviously, my career isn’t going to be forever, and I want to play in the playoffs. I don’t want to continually miss the playoffs and have these types of interviews at the end of the season. We’ll see what happens here in the next little while.”
- Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun: Brennan thinks that if they can find the fit, they should trade Craig Anderson. If they move him, they should be able to fill a roster needs or add to their draft picks. He is entering his final season of his deal and could be looking for a three or four year contract. If re-signed, where would that leave Robin Lehner? Brennan also doesn’t think that Jason Spezza will be back.
- Larry Brooks: It is possible that the Rangers will use an amnesty buy out on Brad Richards.
“It’s been in the back of my mind to a certain extent, it would be a lie if I said it wasn’t there,” the 33-year-old center said. “But it’s not affecting me or weighing on me, or having any impact on my preparation or my game.”
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: ”I’ve heard that the Flames could have had Nyquist and Tatar for Bouwmeester or another player but chose not to” … ”Based on my information, that was the Wings’ package for Bouwmeester, but not for Iginla”
- John Vogl: Sabres GM Tim Murray on the possibility of buying out Ville Leino: ”Very good possibility.”
- Bruce Garrioch: Senators owner Eugene Melnyk: ”Changes will need to happen,”
- Jonathan Willis: Oilers GM Craig MacTavish listed his four core players: Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Justin Schultz.
- Jason Gregor: Oilers MacTavish on pending RFA Justin Schultz: ”I’m open to both scenarios either a longterm or a bridge contract.” Jim Matheson: MacTavish on Shultz: ”He is developing player. Potential is limitless. I would consider long-term deal.”
- Mike Harrington: Sabres GM Tim Murray: ”I want to rebuild properly, which takes time. It doesn’t have to take years.”
- Mike Harrington: Sabres GM Tim Murray reaffirmed that they could draft Aaron Ekblad, not a guarantee that they draft a forward.
- John Shannon: Coaches receiving a vote of confidence in Edmonton, Ottawa, Calgary, and Long Island.
- Allan Walsh: “Analyzing NHL payrolls (Cap $64.3M), direct correlation in spending below $60M and NOT making playoffs. (8 teams below, 1 in playoffs). 8 teams have won Stanley Cup in NHL salary cap era, 7 of those teams spent to the Upper Limit.
- Cap Geek: “Our estimates show 11 teams finished the 2013-14 season within $100K of the salary cap. Our estimates also show 19 teams finished the 2013-14 season within $1M of the salary cap. Of the teams with more than $1M in cap space, ANA, DAL and COL were the only ones to make the playoffs.
- Bruce Garrioch: Senators GM Bryan Murray: ”Still think you need two goaltenders.”
The NHL will hold their draft lottery drawing tonight at 8:00 PM EST. The odds of obtaining the first overall pick are as follows:
1st – 25.0% – Buffalo Sabres
2nd – 18.8% – Florida Panthers
3rd – 14.2% – Edmonton Oilers
4th – 10.7% – Calgary Flames
5th – 8.1% – NY Islanders
6th – 6.2% – Vancouver Canucks
7th – 4.7% – Carolina Hurricanes
8th – 3.6% – Toronto Maple Leafs
9th – 2.7% – Winnipeg Jets
10th – 2.1% – Anaheim Ducks (via Ottawa)
11th – 1.5% – New Jersey Devils (Forfeit pick but are included in the drawing)
12th – 1.1% – Nashville Predators
13th – 0.8% – Phoenix Coyotes
14th – 0.5% – Washington Capitals
If the NJ Devils win the lottery, the NHL will hold a re-draw. The Devils will select 30th overall.
The Islanders have until June 1st to decide if they will keep their 2014 first round pick or send it to the Sabres as part of the Thomas Vanek – Matt Moulson trade. If the Islanders keep the pick, the Sabres will get their 2015 first round pick.
- Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington: Alex Ovechkin on “which coach provided the best way to play”
“I was not comfortable playing with [Dale] Hunter’s system and I’m comfortable with [Adam Oates’] system and I was comfortable with Bruce [Boudreau’s] system as well. Be honest with you, I don’t know if you can put something on the system right now. You have to put it on players. It doesn’t matter what system you’re going to play.”
Ovechkin on if he wants to remain with the Capitals.
“That’s why I signed [a 13-year, $124 million contract]. I feel comfortable, I love the fans, I love the city. This organization gave me a lot and I want to bring Cup here.”
- Adam Vingan: Capitals Jaroslav Halak: ”I wouldn’t be against coming back.”
- Kristen Odland of the Calgary Herald: Pending Flames UFA Mike Cammalleri.
“I don’t have anything to report,” said Michael Cammalleri, one of the team’s biggest assets who could be on the market July 1 if a contract agreement isn’t reached. “I am far from having ruled Calgary out as my future.
“It’s really, at this point, all there is to say about that as far as the organization’s gone and I think they have had the same approach with me.”
Cammalleri may be interested in returning.
“I’d still like to talk to Calgary and see where things are at moving forward a little bit,” he said “I really don’t know how I feel about (free agency).”
The Flames and Chris Butler (UFA) have touched base about term and dollar value, but not a lot more.
“It’s something I’ll think about, but it’s still a few months away,” Butler said of the July 1 free agent frenzy. “It’s kind of hard to think about right now after just playing (Sunday) and wearing that jersey for the last three years.
“It’s not unsettling, but it’s a little unnerving and a little intriguing and something that’s kind of in the back of your mind.”
Pending RFAs that may or may not be apart of the Flames future: T.J. Galiardi, Paul Byron, Joe Colborne, Lance Bouma, Chad Billins, and Mark Cundari.
- Chris Johnston: Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis: ”We have to get better at all areas, scouting in particular. We’re not going to become a contender through free agency.”
- James Mirtle: Maple Leafs Dave Bolland: “For sure it was a tough year for me… A fluke injury gets the best of you.” “It’s Toronto, it’s my hometown. Love to come back.”
- Mike Zeisberger: Maple Leafs Jake Gardiner on being a RFA: ”This is where I want to be.”
- Rob Longley: Maple Leafs James Reimer on his future: ”will come down to a couple of circumstances.”
- Ben Kuzma: Canucks coach John Tortorella: ”I may not be here, but you can’t say you want kids and depth. It takes time. We have a good core, need to surround it.”
- Nashville Predators: Predators GM David Poile said that Shea Weber will definitely be in Nashville next season.
- Ben Kuzma: Canucks Ryan Kesler: ”I didn’t ask for a trade. It’s best to keep that in house. Not going to comment — it’s not right.” Farhan Lalji: Kesler wouldn’t comment on the rumors of “a list” that he provided to Canucks management.
- Brad Ziemer of the Vancouver Sun: There is talk that Canucks Alex Edler could be asked to waive his no-trade clause this offseason. He has five years at $5 million a season left on his deal. Edler would like to stay in Vancouver.
- Toronto Sun: Pending RFA James Reimer is unsure on his future.
“The hockey world is a crazy place. This has been my team and I have really enjoyed it, and it has been a huge blessing. I always dreamed this would be the organization that I stay with my whole career, so we will see what happens.”
If Reimer wants a trade, speculated landing spots could be the Jets, Flames, Islanders and Oilers.
- Arthur Staple of Newsday: Islanders John Tavares doesn’t want to leave the team despite recent rumblings.
“I signed six years because I wanted to be here. There’s no part of me that wants to leave,” Tavares told Newsday during Monday’s breakup day. “I think [the talk] is a product of the team not winning, and the perception around here from other markets is always a lot different from what actually happens. I know we’ve still got some great things we can accomplish here and my mindset hasn’t changed.”
“I’m excited to come back next year and I’ve always loved being here.”
- Michael Smith: Hurricanes Cam Ward and his family consider Raleigh home: ”I want to be here.”
- Benjamin Hochman of the Denver Post: Josh Kroenke, the Avs president, on if he sees the Avalanche making a big free-agent splash with offseason:
“We’re always looking for ways to improve our team,” he said. “I think the players we’ve had this year have done an un- believable job. They play every night, don’t take nights off, guys take pride in the logo they’re wearing — and those are the guys that we want. The future does look bright; we have a really exciting young core of players. And our cap is very well structured right now, and could go a lot of different ways, but we’ll continue to be patient.
“And, if the opportunity comes along where we can get a guy who can put us at another level, it’s something we would definitely talk about. But we’re not going to say something just to say something.”
- Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press: Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff will have a busy offseason:
1. Hire a coach.
2. Solve that pesky goaltending problem.
3. Sign Olli Jokinen or begin to look at replacement options.
4. Figure out whether Alex Burmistrov is ready to come back to Winnipeg, and if so, how to make it happen.
5. Decide whether it’s time to shake up this underachieving core and swap out one of the Jets big names.
- Hope Smoke: Eric Francis: ”Burke will hire someone experienced like David Poile as the GM in Calgary” … ”Burke made it very clear to me yesterday that he is going to wait until he speaks to every single candidate & guy on his list” … ”That may cause the Flames GM position to not get filled until after the draft. When all the candidates will be available” … ”Feaster was a dead man walking in Calgary. There are a lot of people who believe Feaster’s days of being a GM in the NHL are over”
- James Murphy of XN Sports: A Maple Leafs source said that Dion Phaneuf is not looked upon as a lead in the Leafs dressing room. His seven-year deal at $7 million starts next season, so he would be difficult to trade. The could retain some salary. Teams like the Islanders, Avalanche, Oilers or maybe the Flames might be interested.
- Renaud Lavoie: Jaroslav Halak’s agent Allen Walsh: ”Jaro never at anytime said he didn’t want to start against St. Louis. A private conversation between a player and coach should stay private and not be discussed with the media. I am bewildered that a coach would break that trust especially when those comments the coach publicly attributed to Jaro are not accurate. It’s the coach who makes the decision on who plays in the games, not the players.”
- Bob McKenzie: Coaching survey continued. 16 coaches responding to Hart, Vezina and Norris awards. “Hart: Crosby unanimous, 16 for 16. ANA’s Getzlaf clear runner up, PHI’s Giroux 3rd. No one else close tho Pavelski, Rask, Chara mentioned. Vezina: BOS’s Rask a clear No. 1 (10 for 16) with COL’s Varlamov solid 2nd. MTL’s Price and TB’s Bishop in virtual dead heat for 3rd spot. Norris: Most hotly contested award. CHI’s Keith No. 1, appearing on 13 of 16 ballots with a high of five 1st place votes. BOS’s Chara (four 1st place votes) and NSH’s Weber (three 1st place votes) were virtually tied in voting points behind Keith. NYR McDonagh, MIN Suter, STL Pietrangelo and LA Doughty also got one first-place vote each to place 4th thru 7th with OTT Karlsson at 8th.”
- Kevin Kurz: When asked if Antti Niemi is Sharks guy going into the playoffs, coach McLellan said: “Nemo is one of our guys going into the playoffs.”
- Aaron Vickers: The Flames tied an NHL record by having their 49th one goal game last night. Tied with the 2010-11 Panthers.
- Mike Morreale: Consecutive playoff seasons: Bruins 29, Blackhawks 28; Blues 25; Canadiens 24; Red Wings 23.
- Mike Harrington: Sabres Ted Nolan confirms that Matt Hackett will start their final three games.
- Devils PR: Cory Schneider will start in net for the Devils tonight.
- Jim Cerny: Henrik Lundqvist will start in net for the Rangers tonight.
- Lou Korac: Ryan Miller will start in net for the Blues tonight.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Canucks ownership will need to decide if one or both of John Tortorella and Mike Gillis will be back.
Expect Flames coach Bob Hartley to return next season. Top candidates to for the Flames GM position: George McPhee, Laurece Gilman, Dave Poulin and Claude Loiselle.
There could be at least three groups that have spoken with Charles Wang about buying the Islanders.
Capitals coach Adam Oates may be fired after the season.
The Hurricanes may look to trade Cam Ward (two-years with a $6.7 million cap hit). The Flames, Islanders, Sabres and Capitals could be looking for a goalie this offseason.
Ron Francis (pending Hurricanes GM) will have to decide if they will buy out the remaining four years and $28 million left on Alex Semin’s contract.
Ken Hitchcock’s job may be on the line if they have an early playoff exit.
Rumors are that the Canadiens and P.K. Subban’s camp have only held preliminary talks, with serious negotiations talking place after the playoffs. He could get an eight-year contract worth around $7.5 million per season.
There are rumors that the Panthers will try to sign pending UFAs Dave Bolland and Matt Moulson.
Thought is that Dallas Eakins will be back with the Oilers next year. Mark Messier could be a coaching option for them down the road.
- Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: Simmons thinks the Leafs top priority this offseason should be to re-sign Dave Bolland.
Simmons thinks Randy Carlyle will be the Leafs coach next season.Simmons wonders if the Predators will fire Barry Trotz and if the Penguins don’t have a successful playoffs, will they fire Dan Bylsma?
The Leafs, Avalanche and Lightning will be interested in Leo Komarov this offseason.
- Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe: The Bruins will have about a $4.5 million salary cap penalty next season for bonus overages for Jarome Iginla, Dougie Hamilton and Torey Krug. They have $62 million already committed for next year. Pending RFAs: Krug, Matt Bartkowski, Reilly Smith and Jordan Caron.
- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: John Tortorella won’t be back as the Canucks coach unless ownership chooses him over GM Mike Gillis. Tortorella may be spreading word that Jay Feaster is a GM that he could work with.
Hurricanes coach Kirk Muller could be let go by incoming GM Ron Francis.
- Terry Koshan of the Toronto Sun: There have been no contract talks between Dave Bolland and the Maple Leafs since early February.
“Nothing is happening right now,” Thun said. “We exchanged proposals prior to the Olympics and we were significantly apart.”
Bolland is apparently looking for a deal around $40 million over seven or eight years. If he doesn’t re-sign with the Maple Leafs, there is speculation that he could rejoin Dale Tallon in Florida. The Canucks and Canadiens could also have interest in him this offseason. Other centers that could be on the market this summer: Paul Stastny, David Legwand, Marcel Goc and Derek Roy.
- Barry Svrluga of the Washington Post: There is a mob in Washington that is going after GM George McPhee. Some wonder if head coach Adam Oates in the problem. If McPhee let Oates go, he’d be looking to hire his sixth head coach. If the Capitals chose not to bring Jaroslav Halak, Dustin Penner and Mikhail Grabovski back, they would have the cap space to try and lure from free agent defenseman.
- Tim Booth of the AP on Yahoo! Sports: There is an investor group looking to bring a NBA franchise to Seattle, but they have no interest in owning an NHL franchise.
”No one in our ownership group is interested in being a majority owner in an NHL franchise. That’s been the case since the start,” said Chris Hansen, who led the unsuccessful effort last year to purchase the Sacramento Kings and move them to Seattle. ”I’ve certainly queried our ownership group about this. I think if someone really wanted to it would be easier than bringing in an outside party.
”But the most important thing is the passion is just not there for the NHL among our ownership group that is there for basketball. Getting involved in hockey solely because basketball hasn’t worked out right now, when it’s not something your heart is in, would be a disservice to the fans here.”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”Kesler has that full no move clause. There are certainly those around Van that wanted Kesler’s list to be longer at the deadline” … ”There’s a lot of uncertainty swirling around that Vancouver organization and Kesler is certainly part of it”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”Hitchcock has found a way to adapt his style to accommodate the new game” … ”That’s the biggest beef with Tortorella. He has become less flexible. I was told he used to listen to his players and doesn’t now”
- Hope Smoke: Steve Simmons: ”Nonis will make the decision on Carlyle not MLSE. Despite all the hooey about Leiweke overseeing”
- Dave Isaac of the Courier Post: Flames prospect Johnny Gaudreau is a Hobey Bakey Award finalist this year. The dad of the 5 foot 8, 160 pound forward may be a little concerned with his son’s size knowing that Brian Burke is the current GM.
“If the management they had there before was there, like (former general manager Jay) Feaster, the ones that drafted him, I’d be really comfortable letting him go,” Guy Gaudreau said. “I know that (Calgary president of hockey operations) Brian Burke likes big boys, big hockey players. My son is not a big hockey player. He’s made it clear that he likes him or whatever, but I don’t think he’s sold on him. That’s been John all his life, wherever he tried out. It’s always been, ‘He’s got to prove himself, prove himself, prove himself.’ He’s done that over and over and over.”
- Adam Kimelman of NHL.com: After the 2012-13 season, now Flyers goalie Steve Mason considered hanging up the pads.
“My mind was so beat up that I truly did not enjoy playing hockey anymore,” Mason told NHL.com. “It had definitely crossed my mind to consider other options. I was just so beat up mentally that hockey was becoming more of a chore than a passion and something that was fun. … I hadn’t thought about what I’d do, but it definitely crossed my mind to hang the pads up and focus on other aspects of life because hockey was something that was making life not enjoyable.”
- Eric Stephens: Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau thinks that Cam Fowler could return by next week.
- Harvey Fialkov: The Panthers have sent Jonathan Racine back to the AHL as Ed Jovanovski is ready to return to the lineup.
- David Pollak: Sharks Tomas Hertl practiced yesterday without a “no-contact” jersey.
- Shawn Mitchell: Blue Jackets Nathan Horton (lower-body) won’t travel with the team to Philadelphia. Jared Boll is expected to return to the lineup.
- Rob Mixer: Blue Jackets Ryan Murray (knee) skated yesterday morning with associate coach Craig Hartsburg, doing conditioning drills. Shawn Mitchell: Murray will travel with the team to Philadelphia but won’t play. Coach Todd Richards said he could return next Friday against Chicago or Sunday against the Islanders.
- Shawn Mitchell: Blue Jackets Nikita Nikitin (lower-body) won’t travel with the team. Either Nick Schultz or Tim Erixon will fill in for Nikitin.
- Tracey Myers: Blackhawks Bryan Bickell said he’ll play tonight.
- Chad Graff: Wild’s Josh Harding was on the ice yesterday during their practice.
- Chad Graff: Wild’s Mike Yeo was vague about Mikael Granlund’s possible head injury. Said he didn’t know about his status.
- Randy Sportak: Flames defenseman Tyler Wotherspoon had season-ending shoulder surgery. Mark Cundari and Chris Breen have been recalled.
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Ryan Callahan’s agent, Steve Bartlett, said that he spoke with Lightning GM Steve Yzerman over the weekend, with Yzerman saying he’d like to talk contract extension after the season.
“Yeah, we’d love to sign him,” said Yzerman. “He’s a good fit, a good person, a good player, has style of play that really complements our group well; he’s fit in really well. So we hope to sign him. But we won’t talk until after the year.”
It’s likely that John Tortorella will be fired by the Canucks after the season. There will also be the question whether or not to fire GM Mike Gillis. Both Tortorella and Gillis have four years left on their deals.
The Canadiens and Andrei Markov’s agent, Sergei Berezin, have continued contract talks.
“I met with Marc a couple of days ago when they were here [in Florida],” Berezin told ESPN.com Tuesday.
“I don’t think we’re in any rush to get anything done. I have an idea what they’re offering, they know what we want, and I don’t actually think we’re that far apart. I’m hopeful in the end it will work out.”
Jaromir Jagr’s agent, Petr Svoboda, met with Devils GM Lou Lamoriello a few days ago to talk about a contract extension. Talks will pick up after the season.
Contract talks between Peter Chiarelli and Jarome Iginla’s camp will wait until after the season.
Randy Carlyle’s future with the Maple Leafs could be in doubt if they miss the playoffs.
- Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press: Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff has some trade chips he could use after the season. Evander Kane would get them a big return, including roster players and picks/prospects. Tobias Enstrom could get a nice return, but they would need a frontline defender in return. Zach Bogosian’s stock might be down at the moment. Lawless wouldn’t move Brian Little or Andrew Ladd.
- Hope Smoke: Steve Simmons: ”I highly doubt that Gardiner will be dealt considering Nonis believes dealing young D is the biggest mistake a GM can make”
- Hope Smoke: Ray Ferraro: ”If Cal trades Giordano they get rid of their hardest competitor. Giordano embodies what you want from your leaders” … ”I hate the word lifer but Giordano is a lifer in Calgary” … ”If the Leafs want to acquire Giordano what can they trade back? Connor McDavid?” … ”I wouldn’t trade JVR for a top end D because you’re stealing from Peter to pay Paul”
- Corey Pronman: Sabres GM Tim Murray: ”If Ekblad is the best player available that we deem at the end of the year we’ll take Ekblad”
- John Vogl: Sabres GM Tim Murray said they are close to signing Jake McCabe and that he would likely report to Sabres and not to the AHL.