- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun:
“The prices, in some cases, are embarrassing,” said a league executive. “They’re going to get more realistic closer to the deadline, but right now teams are asking for too much for their players.”
Garrioch lists the Sellers and who is available: Carolina – Bryan Allen and Jaroslav Spacek. Columbus – Jeff Carter, Antoine Vermette, Derick Brassard, Rick Nash and Steve Mason. NY Islanders – Mark Eaton, Steve Staios, Milan Jurcina, P.A. Parenteau. Tampa Bay – Ryan Malone. Edmonton – Ales Hemsky, Nikolai Khabibulin and Theo Peckham. Montreal – Travis Moen, Andrei Kostitsyn and Mathieu Darche.
The Buyers and who they like: San Jose – Rick Nash, Teemu Selanne and Ales Hemsky. Boston – Teemu Selanne, Ales Hemsky and Mike Knuble. Los Angeles – Rick Nash, Teemu Selanne and Ales Hemsky. Chicago – Nikolai Khabibulin, Bryan Allen and Derek Roy. Washington – Ales Hemsky and Antoine Vermette. Nashville – Ales Hemsky and Jarret Stoll.
Top 10 players to watch: 1. Rick Nash 2. Teemu Selanne 3. Jeff Carter 4. Ales Hemsky 5. Ryan Malone 6. Jarrett Stoll 7. Jaroslav Specek 8. Derek Roy 9. Antoine Vermette 10. Nikolai Khabibulin.
Keep an eye on: Mike Knuble, Bobby Ryan, Josh Harding, Jonathan Bernier, and Ryan Miller.
- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: If the NHL is helping out the Devils financially, “it is shortsighted for the league to withhold approval of deals that presumably would strengthen these wards of the state.” If they are able to trade for Marek Zidlicky, “it would be penny-wise but pound-foolish for the league to prevent it.”
- Dennis Bernstein via twitter: The Leafs could look for a #1 goalie in the summer.
- Spector’s Hockey via twitter: Hockey Central suggested that the Blackhawks and Sharks might have interest in Oilers Nikolai Khabibulin.
- Dustin Leed via twitter: Scouting the Flyers – Penguins game: 2 Blue Jackets (GM Scott Howson and senior advisor Craig Patrick were on the list to attend), 2 Blackhawks, Kings, Predators, Canadiens, Avalanche, Flames, Panthers and Blues. Randy Miller via twitter: Miller notes that 2 Blue Jackets executives have been at a Flyers 3 times this week. He thinks talks must be serious.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Scouting the Blue Jackets – Blackhawks game: Blues, Hurricanes, Senators, Washington, Red Wings, Rangers, Stars, Flyers and Canadiens.
- Hockey Night in Canada Hotstove notes by Spector’s Hockey (video not posted): Eric Francis said that some NHL GMs doubt Nash will get traded at the deadline. The Blue Jackets are looking for an impact player, 2 top prospects and a 1st round pick. Elliotte Friedman noted that the Blue Jackets are trying to push Nash on the Flyers, and that they’d prefer to move Jeff Carter to the Kings. Francis said that Patrick Kane is happy in Chicago and they are happy with him. Friedman suggested that the Blackhawks could face some questions if they have a short playoff run. Francis said the Flames haven’t had contract talks with Olli Jokinen, but he’s not going anywhere. Sam Gagner also isn’t going anywhere.