- New York Islanders: Islanders GM Garth Snow on Rick DiPietro’s comments:
“We are aware of Rick’s comments today and the severity of them. We will handle them internally as we do with all player matters. This is an opportunity for Rick to play lots of games in Bridgeport.”
- Brett Cyrgalis via twitter: “Rick DiPietro on report that he has contemplated suicide: “100 percent” facetious in his interview with @KMaherNews12 #Context” … “DP: “I’m just trying to bring light to fact of how important my wife has been. It’s been a trying last couple years.” … “DP: “There have been times that I’ve been depressed, and I don’t know where I’d be without the support of my wife.” .. “DP didn’t make fun of suicide, instead told @KMaherNews12 how important his wife was to him, and w/o her, “I might have driven into a tree.”
- Kevin Maher via twitter: Islanders Rick DiPietro said that with the Isles waiving him felt like: “they ripped my heart out, stabbed it, set it on fire and flushed it down the toilet.” … “DiPietro also admitted injuries, losing and fan hatred over the past 3 years made him think about killing himself at one point.”
- Joe McDonald of ESPN Boston: Bruins Tuukka Rask will be a free agent at the end of the season and there is nothing new to report on it.
“I don’t know, probably not,” Rask said after the team’s practice Wednesday morning at Ristuccia Arena. “I haven’t heard anything too crazy, yet, but we’ll see. Good thing I don’t have to talk to the GM, I’ve got an agent for that.”
Rask signed a one-year, $3.5 million contract last summer and will be inline for a raise.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: The Capitals claim Aaron Volpatti off waivers from the Canucks. The Flyers put Michael Leighton and Tom Sestito on waivers. The Stars put Tom Wandell on waivers.
- Ryan Rishaug via twitter: The Oilers were one of several teams that put a claim in on Volpatti. Capitals were lower in the standings, therefore got him.
- Frank Seravalli via twitter: Seravalli is heading the Oilers could be interested in claiming Tom Sestito off waivers from the Flyers.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: “Told #CBJ would fight like hell if plan is changed to send Detroit to the Eastern Conference and keep #CBJ in Western Conference. In that scenario, NHL realignment would only make matters worse for #CBJ. Travel just as bad, and now they’ve lost only big opponent draw.” Darren Dreger via twitter: “I believe the NHL will fight like “hell” to keep the proposal as is with Det and CBJ moving east. But, imbalance is an issue.”