- Stephen Whyno: Finland’s coach on Teemu Selanne’s injury: “small upper body injury. Not serious.” Greg Wyshynski: Finnish coach does expect him to play.
- Bob McKenzie: P.K. Subban and Matt Duchene will be in the lineup for Canada. Chris Johnston: Patrick Sharp and Dan Hamhuis will be scratches for Canada.
- Matias Strozyk: Kari Lehtonen will start for Finland today. Sakari Salminen and Antti Pihlström will be in the line up, Juhamatti Aaltonen and Jarkko Immonen will be scratched.
- Larry Lage in the Detroit Free Press: Pavel Datsyuk is having a difficult time deal with his lower body injury according to Russian coach Zinetula Bilyaledinov.
- Matias Strozyk: Expressen is reporting that Henrik Zetterberg is out for the remainder of the Olympics. Zetterberg told Expressen that he has not been able to move around that much. Added the back injury is “the same as in December but much bigger pain”.
- Helene St. James: Red Wings GM Ken Holland on Zetterberg: “Hasn’t seen doctor. Going back to DET in day or two to be evaluated. On medication to get swelling down.”
- Dan Rosen: Swedish doctor on Zetterberg: “These are nerve-related issues and they often come creeping in. It is not one specific injury.” … “Z has been in touch with the Detroit medical staff. I have been in touch with the NHL doctors who are here.”
- Jonas Siegel: Zetterberg had been playing with Gabriel Landeskog and Alex Steen. Team Sweden is already without Henrik Sedin and Johan Franzen.
- TSN: (yesterday) Sweden’s Henrik Zetterberg is day-to-day with a herniated disc. A decision on if he’ll play or not will be made today. Sweden’s doctor has said he’s been dealing with it for months.
“He has a problem with a disk hernia that we have been familiar with for some months ago, and he has had treatment in the U.S.,” he said earlier on Thursday. But he started here without any symptoms, and I think now the symptoms that he has is according to the disk problem.”
“We (have) not decided yet until we see how he is tomorrow, and then we can do the decision with him and also with the NHL doctors that are here,” he said. “We would of course not risk anything.”
“We told them also that we will take decision tomorrow and see how he feels and how he adjusts to anti-inflammatory treatment and rest.”