- Bruce Garrioch: There have been no talks between the Senators and Oilers regarding Ales Hemsky in months.
- Bruce Garrioch: With teams need to cut salary, a league executive said trade talks are heating up, “There is a lot happening right now. Could be an active week.”
- Katie Carrera: Capitals GM George McPhee said they are not interested in trading goaltender Michal Neuvirth.
- Chris Nichols: According to @Russostrib, the Oilers are after RFA Cal Clutterbuck and have talked about a deal including Tyler Pitlick, who is from Minnesota.
- Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: The Red Wings will have 14 forwards under contract for next season, but may not carry those 14 when the season opens next year.
“I’m going to explore a trade or two,” Holland said Monday. “Maybe a two-for-one deal, maybe a three-for-one, or three-for-two.”
- Paul Friesen of the Winnipeg Sun: Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff said that he is not seriously exploring a Dustin Byfuglien trade.
“Buff is a very unique player,” Cheveldayoff said. “He has the size a lot of players, a lot of teams, would covet in this league, with respect to the push to get a bigger, harder player to play against. I could see where teams would have interest. I could see where rumours would start.
“But it’s not something I’ve contemplated or I’ve talked about in great detail with any other team about trading him.”
“Last summer we were talking about this situation, this summer it seems we’re talking about it, and if I could venture a guess, next summer we’ll be talking about it as well,” Cheveldayoff said, adding no player is untouchable.
“You would explore anything when it comes to trying to make a trade,” he said. “We want to build through some stability, as well. Players that want to be here, we want to make sure we continue to build through those kinds of players.”
- The Fourth Period: The Canucks are still confident that they can trade Roberto Luongo around the NHL Draft this Sunday. It’s rumored that Luongo expanded his list, but it’s unconfirmed. The Maple Leafs are out after trading for Jonathan Bernier. The Panthers, Islanders and Oilers have expressed interest at some point. The Islanders and Oilers weren’t on Luongo’s original list. The goalie market is crowded with Ryan Miller, Jonas Hiller, Brian Elliott and Jaroslav Halak are being offered around the league. Mike Smith and Ray Emery could hit the open market on July 5th. The Canucks are also shopping Keith Ballard.