- Joe Smith of the Tampa Times: Lightning GM Steve Yzerman.
“Just because we have cap space now and cash available, we’re not going to act out of desperation,” Yzerman said. “But certainly we’re going to inquire and see if there’s anything that makes us better.”
The Lightning could look to add a forward in free agency or through a trade. They could look at Dominic Moore. They will need bring in a backup goalie. They didn’t qualify Anders Lindback, but they could bring him back. Free agent options include Martin Brodeur, Tomas Vokoun, Tim Thomas and Chad Johnson.
- Chris Johnston: The Maple Leafs qualified James Reimer back in May. Secrecy on it may have been linked to trade talks.
- David Pagnotta: The Wings would like to re-sign Kyle Quincey, but he’ll do better on the open market. The Wings want to improve their blueline.
- Will DePaoli: Source saying the Penguins have “expressed some interest” in Martin Brodeur.
- Will DePaoli: Matt Niskanen will trim his list down to four teams tonight. The Lightning and Capitals are expected to be among the teams. Seven year term will be the key.
- Pierre LeBrun: The Canadiens and Brian Gionta are expected to talk tonight.
- David Pagnotta: As Paul Stastny’s list gets smaller, can expect Jason Spezza trade talks to increase.
- Pierre LeBrun: The Jets didn’t make Stastny’s shortened list.
- Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News: Back in December it was estimated that the salary cap could be $71 million. With it only being $69 million, it will leave some teams pretty tight.
“It affects us for sure,” Hextall said. “It affects every team that is close. We’ve got to find a way to get below it. It was a little lower than we thought and hoped.”
The Flyers are already over the cap with 19 players signed. Their cap number will drop by $4.94 million at the start of the regular season when they can LTIR Chris Pronger. They have been unsuccessful in trading Vincent Lecavalier so far despite offering to eat part of his salary. He’s due a $2 million bonus tomorrow, which may be scaring teams off. The Predators or Panthers may be interested.