On the New Jersey Devils …
Emily Kaplan of ESPN: Keys to the Devils offseason.
1. Acquire defensive depth – The in-season addition of Sami Vatanen and last offseasons signing Will Butcher have worked out nicely. GM Ray Shero needs to continue to add. John Moore will be a UFA, so they’ll need to decide on him. They have the salary cap room to add.
2. Decisions on trade deadline acquisitions and pending UFAs Michael Grabner and Patrick Maroon – Grabner was a bust for the Devils and ended up being a healthy scratch in the playoffs. Maroon was more productive, recording 13 points in 17 games. He doesn’t really fit into their speed game, but he does bring another dimension. Re-signing could be an idea if the money and term fits.
3. Take care of their own – Re-sign restricted free agents Blake Coleman, Stefan Noesen and Miles Wood. They’ve been solid bottom-six players have played better than some may have thought.
They need to get some production out of their forwards not named Nico Hischier and Taylor Hall next season.
On the Philadelphia Flyers …
Emily Kaplan of ESPN: Keys to the Flyers offseason.
1. Address their goaltending – They used Brian Elliott, Alex Lyon, Petr Mrazek and Michal Neuvirth this year who combined for a .907 SV% and 2.76 GAA, excluding playoff numbers. Carter Hart will turn pro next year, but the 19-year old could use some time in the AHL before making the jump. The Flyers once again need to find a bridge goaltender.
2. Start looking at contract extensions for Travis Konecny and Ivan Provorov – Both will be RFAs after next season, so they can begin talks on a new deal later this offseason. Getting them locked up sooner than later would be less of a future headache.
3. Keeping hoarding draft picks – They already have a deep prospect pool, and will have either two first-round draft pick this year or next depending on where the Blues sit after the lottery. GM Ron Hextall is patient with their development and they are ahead of schedule.