- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: It’s thought that the Red Wings and Maple Leafs are two teams that are interested in Joe Thornton. Thornton can basically pick and choose where he wants to end up if the Sharks really want to trade him. Teams are calling the Sharks about Patrick Marleau, but it doesn’t look like he’ll be moved.
There has been lots of controversy surrounding Patrick Sharp, on whether the Blackhawks are looking to move him or not. Sharp’s name is appearing all over the place, with several teams saying he’s available. The Blackhawks will need to move some cap space.
The Penguins have about $13 million in cap space with nine players to sign.
The Canadiens are trying to re-sign Mike Weaver. He could be looking for upwards of $2 million.
The Canucks, Flyers and Maple Leafs tried to trade up for the first overall pick. There was talk that Flyers were trying to package Luke Schenn and Vincent Lecavalier.
The Panthers could be targeting Dave Bolland.
The Canucks will look at Jonas Hiller and Ryan Miller.
The Wild have spoken with Thomas Vanek and Matt Niskanen.
Bruins Chris Kelly could be traded.
Upwards of 15 teams have called on Paul Stastny. The Avs want to re-sign, but the Blues, Predators, Maple Leafs and Red Wings could push hard for him.
- Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: It’s unlikely that the Penguins offseason will include contract extensions for Marc-Andre Fleury and Paul Martin. The Penguins are optimistic that will sign Fleury to an extension at some point. The Penguins think that Martin wants to test the open market next summer.Defenseman Kris Letang has not been offered in any trade talks.
- Renaud Lavoie: The Sharks will buy out Martin Havlat. The UFA market for wingers is not deep, so he could be one of the top available.
- James Mirtle: Leafs GM Dave Nonis: “There might be a few more deals that we can swing between now and free agency. But that was the most important one.” …. “I wouldn’t say that we’re set but was the one area we wanted to address and we feel like we did.”
- Adrian Dater: There is no change regarding the Avs and Paul Stastny, still trying to make it work.