- Pierre LeBrun: Not finalized yet, but Ryan Callahan’s contract extension with the Lightning will be for six years and $34.8 million, a $5.8 million salary cap hit.
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: Avs Joe Sakic said late last night that Paul Stasnty wants to “see what’s out there.” Stastny’s camp promised to circle back and give the Avs the right of first refusal. Dater speculates the Avs have offered Stastny a deal somewhere between $5 and $6 million.
- Pierre LeBrun: Paul Stastny’s camp has already received a bunch of calls regarding the pending free agent. The Avs will still be in the mix.
- Eric Stephens of the OC Register: Ducks GM Bob Murray wants to address their center position and defense as he feels he’s behind I that area compared to other top contenders. He’s armed with two first picks, two seconds and their 2015 first rounder.
“That’s in the back of my mind all the time,” Murray said. “Where is that guy, can you find that guy, and can you afford that guy? … Is the time now, or do we have to step back and wait to see how these kids develop?
“It’s a little bit of a game right now in terms of where you really are.”
Realistic options include: Ryan Kesler and Jason Spezza.
Good but unrealistic options: Paul Stastny, Eric Staal and Joe Thornton.
- Brian Wilde: Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin knows that he underpaid P.K. Subban before and that he’ll have to pay up now. Could get eight years and $9 million per season.