- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: The GM meetings start today and there will be some trade talk. Three big centers could be on the move this offseason.
Ryan Kesler – At the deadline he said he only wanted to go to the Penguins or Blackhawks. Sounding like his demands for a trade out of Vancouver haven’t changed.
Jason Spezza – The Ducks have called several times, and the Blues and Predators are looking into the option of adding him.
Joe Thornton – The Sharks are looking to change their roster. Thornton has a no-movement and controls his own destiny. The Maple Leafs and several other teams have shown interest.
- Ben Kuzma of the Vancouver Province: Kuzma wonders if the Panthers would be interested in re-acquiring defenseman Jason Garrison. They will have lots of salary cap room after they sign their restricted free agents and they could use some help on the blueline. Would Garrison waive his no-trade clause? Would a Garrison and the 6th overall pick get the 1st overall pick?
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: (mailbag) Heika thinks the Stars will land a No. 2 center this offseason. Some options that may become available: Joe Thornton, Jason Spezza, Brad Richards and Mike Richards. Heika thinks that Spezza could be a good fit, and the Stars could be interested in the Ryan Kesler. The Stars likely won’t use their compliance buyout, though they could buyout Aaron Rome to create a roster spot for a younger defenseman. If they eat some of his salary, they might be able to trade Sergei Gonchar.
- Arthur Staple: Dan Boyle’s agent, George Bazos, said that Boyle will let the Islanders know this week as to whether they will start contract talks or not.
- Joe McDonald: Nothing new to report on contract talks between the Bruins and Jarome Iginla, talks continuing.