- Craig Custance of ESPN: Three priorities for the Anaheim Ducks this off-season.
1. Target Jason Spezza or Ryan Kesler in a trade – GM Bob Murray should bring in a No. 2 center. The Ducks have lots of young assets and the Senators 10th overall pick in this year’s draft.
2. Add a veteran defenseman – The Ducks will have about $22 million in cap space. It’s not a deep year for free agent defenseman though. Dan Boyle would be one option. Trade route may be the best option.
3. Add goaltending depth – Jonas Hiller is likely done with the Ducks. The tandem of John Gibson and Frederik Andersen are very inexperienced. Ryan Miller, Ilya Bryzgalov, Ray Emery and Justin Peters are veteran options.
- Hope Smoke: Nick Kypreos: “I’ll argue all day long that the hottest time for trade speculation & talk is this time of year as opposed to deadline” … “There is so much trade talk right now. Teams know what they have now. There is too much indecision right before deadline” … “Prior to deadline there are too many question marks, so teams don’t make moves. There are no question marks now.”
- Nicholas Goss: Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli on adding some speed: “It’s something we’re going to look at.”
- Hope Smoke: Ray Ferraro: “I expect substance this summer. I can’t imagine SJ will go into next season with the same players, I just can’t” … “My gut tells me one of Couture, Pavelski, Thornton or Marleau is going to be on the move somewhere”
- Hope Smoke: Ray Ferraro: “I do think Pittsburgh will have to do something with their players.”
- Hope Smoke: Nick Kypreos: “I don’t know where Gretzky wants to go moving forward but Washington is a possibility”