- David Pagnotta via twitter: With Corey Perry off the market, players like Mike Ribeiro, Marian Gaborik and Robyn Regehr are getting most of the attention.
- David Pagnotta via twitter: With Jay Bouwmeester’s salary and the high asking price for Keith Yandle, Sabres Robyn Regehr could be the most sought after defenseman at the moment.
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: LeBrun doesn’t think that the Ducks have any intention of wanting to trade Bobby Ryan right now or in the summer just because of Perry’s contract. The Ducks have some expiring contracts and can live with having the contracts of Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan. If a team made a monster offer that the Ducks couldn’t refuse for Ryan, you never know. Sense now is that he’s staying.
- Dennis Berstein via twitter: There are whispers that the Rangers have talked with the Kings about Marian Gaborik. The Kings would have to send at least $3 million in salary back if they were to make a deal.
- Dennis Bernstein via twitter: A league executive sees a Kings trade with the Sabres happening soon. Was told it will happen, just not the timing of it.
- Hockey Central via twitter: Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis on the trade deadline: “We’re going to be in the mix with a bunch of teams.” Buyer or seller? “Possibility of both.” … “We have some UFAs; people have asked about them… We’re perfectly prepared to keep them.”
- Sean Fitz-Gerald via twitter: Leafs GM Nonis suggested that the Leafs could be willing to swap picks for players before the trade deadline. “We’re not sold on selling.” Nonis said that the Leafs are fine with going past the trade deadline without adding a goalie.
- Jeff Marek via twitter: (A proposed deal from a few years ago): Carey Price, P.K. Subban (or Ryan McDonagh, Tampa’s choice), Max Pacioretty and a 1st round pick for Vincent Lecavalier. Marek said the Tampa Bay ownership nixed the trade.
- Ansar Khan of MLive: The Red Wings could target Sabres Drew Stafford. The Wings could use some more scoring up front and a right handed shot. It could take a roster player and a prospect or pick. Would the Red Wings want to take on his $4 million salary when they need to re-sign Valtteri Filppula.
- Michael Russo of the Star Tribune: When asked if Niklas Backstrom or Matt Cullenwill be traded,
“Oh God, no,” said General Manager Chuck Fletcher. “Backy’s been outstanding. He’s our No. 1 goalie. Cullen’s been a big part of our team. That’s the type of guy every team in the league wants to add for a playoff run.”
Will the Wild make a splash at the deadline?
“I would like some of our young players to get experience and learn how to play in tough situations,” Fletcher said. “We can’t hide them. They have to go through the process at some point. You can’t just skip it and all of a sudden have these mature players that are just going to come in and play like veterans.”