- Nick Kypreos: Sources say in the Maple Leafs are shopping Dion Phaneuf to Western conference teams.
- Nick Kypreos: There is lots of interest in Phaneuf at the right price. Some teams think he’s a $5 – $6 million player, so the Leafs may have to some of the remaining money.
- Darren Millard: If the Maple Leafs retain money in a Phaneuf trade, they are admitting they made a mistake.
- Mike Zeisberger of the Toronto Sun: It should not be a surprise that the Leafs are kicking tires on moving Phaneuf. The Leafs took calls on Phaneuf during the season. The Leafs think there is a market for him, so a trade is realistic. Phaneuf’s lack of leadership as been put into question.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “The Leafs aren’t shopping Phaneuf. Nonis told me yesterday, the Leafs will move him but aren’t shopping him.” … “That’s Nonis’ philosophy and always has been. He’ll move anyone if the price is right.” … “We get caught up in semantics. Leafs aren’t shopping Gardiner and Kadri either, but teams know they’re listening. Dion’s the same” … “I’ll tell you this, Phaneuf is considered a better defenseman in every single NHL market outside of Toronto” … “Nonis told me yesterday that the Leafs haven’t discussed Phaneuf with anyone since the last trade deadline”
- CapGeeK: The 29-year old Phanuef is entering the first year of his seven-year, $49 million deal. He’s coming off a six-year, $39 million deal.
Who do you think should be interested in Dion Phaneuf? What should they give up to get him?
Nick Kypreos in the video: the Sharks could be interested at the right price, same goes with the Flames