- Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer: The Flyers don’t have a lot of cap flexibility and are likely stuck with Scott Hartnell (five years, $4.75 million cap hit remaining) and Vinny Lecavalier’s (four years, $4.5 million cap hit remaining) contracts. Free agents that they may re-sign are: Brayden Schenn, Ray Emery, Kimmo Timonen and Erik Gustafsson. The Flyers would need to trade some salary if they want to sign a speedy free agent like Matt Moulson, Mason Raymond or Benoit Pouliot. The Flyers would like to have Kimmo Timonen back and he may be leaning on returning. Timonen’s return would mean they could hold off another year for Shayne Gostisbehere, Robert Hagg and Sam Morin. For the dreamers: pending RFA P.K. Subban and Shea Weber. Carchidi throws out Brayden and Luke Schenn, Morin and a draft pick for Weber.
- Mike Chambers of the Denver Post: Four things the Avalanche should do before the start of next season.1. Revamp the blue line: Pending UFAs Cory Sarich and Andre Benoit will likely move on. Build around Erik Johnson, Tyson Barrie, Nick Holden and Nate Guenin. Jan Hejda is owed $3.25 million next year and may be hard to move. They should look to add a premier free agent on July 1st.2. Re-sign Paul Stastny – Coming off a 25 goal, 60 point season.
3. Re-sign Ryan O’Reilly – He could become the Avs highest paid player, passing Matt Duchene’s $6 million. Can the Avs re-sign both Stastny and O’Reilly.
4. Improve depth at forward – They lack scoring depth and it may have hurt them against the Wild. They could use a scoring veteran.
- Nick Kypreos: “Shanahan in 3 wks and we start hearing talk about potential #Leafs moves. Anywhere from personal behind bench to overhaul with scout’ staff”
- Hope Smoke: Steve Simmons: “Shanahan has been extraordinarily private. What I can say is, don’t expect a big splash from him. He’s going to make small moves”
- Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington on the Capitals management