- Elliotte Friedman of CBC: The Capitals have talked to about 10 people about their vacant GM position. The list includes: Craig Button, Jay Feaster, Paul Fenton, Brian MacLellan, Ross Mahoney, Darcy Regier and Don Sweeney. They may have made contact with Mike Gillis and Ray Shero as well, but Friedman doesn’t have confirmation. Coach Barry Trotz has a history with Shero and Fenton, but don’t count out MacLellan.
Ryan Kesler’s agent, Kurt Overhardt, confirmed that they’ve met Trevor Linden, and that just Kesler and Linden talked on a different occasion. Both sides agreed to meet again once both the GM and head coach were hired. Overhardt wouldn’t comment on Kesler previous list (Ducks, Blackhawks, Avalanche, Red Wings, Penguins and Lightning), though it’s believed that the list of teams could change.
Overhardt said that contract talks between the Blue Jackets and Ryan Johansen will start soon.
Flames GM Brad Treliving has spoken with pending UFA Mike Cammalleri, but it was a more of a feeling out conversation as opposed to a serious talk about contract numbers.
Options for the Panthers head coaching position could include: Marc Crawford, Tom Renney and possibly Ron Wilson.
The Hurricanes may be waiting to talk with Ulf Samuelsson about their head coaching position.
- Zdenek Janda: Jaromir Jagr confirmed he’s played his last international game, “This was for sure the last one.”
- Pierre LeBrun: Director of hockey operations, Colin Campbell, met with both Michel Therrien and Marc Bergevin to talk about the watching of practices. A Western Conference head coach agrees that there is an unwritten rule that you don’t watch non-game day practices. LeBrun doesn’t think all coaches think the same way on that. Another head coach said that he makes a deal with the opposing team in advance.
- Josh Yohe: Many are thinking that Dan Bylsma has a chance to keep his job as the Penguins head coach after a new GM is hired. Yohe doesn’t think the odds of that happening are that good.
- John Shannon: Names to add to potential coaching hires: Mike Johnston, Marc Crawford and Ulf Samuelsson.