- John Clark CSN: Flyers owner Ed Snider said that Paul Holmgren will be back as the GM next year.Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said that he would allow Ron Hextall to talk to other teams about becoming a GM. Holmgren admits that he hopes Hextall stays.
“He’s an excellent resource in our organization,” Holmgren said Friday, after the Flyers cleared out their lockers at their Voorhees practice facility. “He’s a tremendous hockey man, and I have no question that he’s ready to be a general manager at any point. We’ll see where that goes, but I’m certainly not in any position today where I want to change chairs.”
“didn’t come in to stay assistant GM forever, but that doesn’t mean tomorrow,” Snider said. “It’s really Paul’s call. All I have to do is endorse it. If I don’t agree with it, then we have a behind-closed-door discussion.”
Kimmo Timonen will make a decision within a month if he’ll play next season or not, and it’s sounding like he’ll play another year.
“This is my place,” he said. “If I get back here, this is where I want to be. I like our team. I like the team moving forward, because we can get some young guys, young forwards, who can be faster. I won’t get any younger, that’s for sure, and probably not faster, but I feel like I can still help the team. But again, I want to take my time and see if I can get to the level that I want to be.”
Ed Snider that he doesn’t think the Predators will trade Shea Weber, but they would be interested if they look at dealing him. Holmgren said they would consider making an offer to pending UFA Ray Emery.
- Sarah Baicker: Timonen said to expect a decision in “two, three, or four weeks.” Said if he comes back next year, he’ll be a Flyer.
- David Pollak: No decision has been made on if there will be any changes to the Sharks. GM Doug Wilson acknowledge that he was under evaluation too.
- David Pollak: Sharks GM Doug Wilson recommended that they keep their coaching staff.
- Gary Lawless: If Sharks coach Todd McLellan hits the open market, there will be a fight to hire him. Lawless expects him to get a five-year deal worth more than $10 million.
- Hope Smoke: Panthers GM Dale Tallon: “I just got back from Finland and let me tell you, this is a good draft. A lot better than I thought it was.”
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “Two reasons why the Panthers will shop 1st pick. 1. High end of draft isn’t MacKinnon, Jones, Eichel McDavid”
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: (mailbag) The Avs looked to be committed to having Reto Berra as their backup next season.