The Penguins have hired former Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford to be their new GM and have fired head coach Dan Bylsma.
Some thoughts and rumors surrounding these moves:
- Luke DeCock: Rutherford may not have been interested in the long-term rebuilding of the Hurricanes, but the short-term fine-tuning of the Penguins had appeal.
- Hope Smoke: Nick Kypreos said that Pierre McGuire wanted a five year deal from the Penguins but the Penguin wanted a year deal like the Sabres did with Tim Murray.
- Josh Yohe: Rutherford said that he’ll likely be the GM for two or three years.
- Greg Wyshynski: Rutherford appears to the Penguins third choice behind Pat Brisson and Pierre McGuire.
- Shelly Anderson: Rutherford will add an analytics expert in the upcoming weeks.
- Dave Molinari: Rutherford said that they don’t necessarily have to have a head coach in place by the draft, but wants one by the start of free agency.
- George Richards: Have heard that Dan Bylsma believes the Panthers are waiting on him.
- William DePaoil: Bylsma wants the Panthers job.
- Josh Rimer: Bylsma now becomes the Panthers frontrunner.
- Joe Yerdon: The Canucks and Panthers are still looking for a coach. Bylsma makes it a little more interesting.
- Greg Brady: “Just low-rent stuff from the Pittsburgh Penguins…letting Dan Byslma twist for 21 days while he could’ve pursued other gigs. Brutal.”
- Nicholas Goss: “A little unprofessional of the Penguins to let Bylsma sit and wait for 21 days after Shero’s firing before being let go himself.”