- Craig Custance: Nail Yakupov’s agent said that if the Oilers are unhappy with Yakupov, they are open to a trade: “We’re willing to make a move. Any team. That happens and that’s part of life.”
- Bob Stauffer: On Larionov and Yakupov: “#1. Igor probably isn’t too pleased that Nail has played under 12 mins last 3 games. #2. A coach spotting Yakupov and limiting defensive zone starts given a -14 rating is completely logical. #3. Not every agent goes to the media to discuss frustrations with a team’s handling of their client. Going direct to the GM works better.”
- Bob McKenzie: Expectation is that Rangers GM Glen Sather will meet with Henrik Lundqvist’s agent, Don Meehan, for contract talks while he’s in town for the Hockey Hall of Fame and GM meetings.
- Craig Custance: Ducks GM Bob Murray on the goalie trade market: “The phone is not ringing.”
- The Fourth Period: The Blues have shopped Brian Elliott, but he may not moved until later in the season as the goalie market is thin at the moment.
- The Fourth Period: It is believed that the Oilers have talked with teams, including the Rangers, about Ales Hemsky.
- Elliotte Friendman of CBC: Devils GM Lou Lamoriello on trading Martin Brodeur.
“We’ve never had any conversations about it. I’ve never talked to anyone else about it and I’m not going to waste any time on it.”
Canadiens pending UFA, Andrei Markov, is changing agents. This is something some GM hate.
“You’re always worried the new guy is telling him how much better a deal he can get,” one GM said. “Then, he has to live up to it.”
If P.K. Subban says he’ll go for a two-year arbitration deal that would take him to unrestricted free agency, which could be worth $7 million per season, then you know he’s unhappy in Montreal. The Canadiens will look for a longer deal.
The Maple Leafs may be looking for right-shooting defenseman. It’s been an on-again/off-again situation. At one point they looked at Mike Weaver, but may be looking for someone that can play higher up in their lineup.
The Senators and Stars are said to be looking for a defenseman.
Friedman isn’t sure if the Senators would consider trading Craig Anderson. If they were to move him, would need a goalie coming back.
Panthers GM Dale Tallon has been trying hard to make a trade, but he wants to move guys with bad contracts. Players that could interest teams are Marcel Goc ($1.7 million) and Shawn Matthias ($1.75 million).
The Predators looked at Ilya Bryzgalov before he signed with the Oilers but were denied.
The Oilers may have looked at Jonas Hiller, but Ducks GM Bob Murray doesn’t like trading within the division.
The Capitals may have had some interest in Ladislav Smid before he was traded to the Flames.
Some executives would be surprised if the Flyers traded Wayne Simmonds, though you can never predict what the Flyers will do.
Some teams are looking at undrafted free agent Colin Suellentrop (Oshawa Generals). He attended the Canadiens camp, is from Florida which may make them a possibility, and Rangers may be looking at him.