- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: The Sabres are apparently are willing meet Ryan Callahan’s seven-year, at least his $42 million asking price, though they are not involved an current trade talks with the Rangers. There is no reason for them give up assets now.
- Michael Arace of the Columbus Dispatch: Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen on Ryan Callahan rumors.
“It’s rumors,” Kekalainen said yesterday. “Sometimes I laugh when I see rumors. Sometimes I scratch my head. I don’t ever comment.”
Kekelainen on adding by the trade deadline.
“I’ll give you my patented, dull answer: We’re always looking to get better,” he said. “I’m always working the phone, always watching the games — here and on the road — and I am always looking. We’re always looking to get better.”
- George Richards of the Miami Herald: Panthers defenseman Dmitry Kulikov on rumors that he wants to go back to Russia.
“I would like to face those people saying those things and ask them where they are getting their information,” said Kulikov, who returned to Russia to play for the KHL’s Yaroslavl Locomotiv during the lockout of 2012-13.
“Wanting to go back to Russia? Those words have never come out of my mouth. I think the people starting that are just trying to create more drama for the league or whatever. … I want to help turn things around here. I want to win here. The year we made the playoffs was like the best thing ever. It’s a totally different feeling. I want to feel that again.’’
- Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times: The Lightning have about $3 million salary cap space, and GM Steve Yzerman may be looking to add blueline depth or possibly going after a top-four. Options could be Andrew MacDonald and Kyle Quincey. Yzerman may not want to trade some of their youngsters and maybe looking at a long-term player over a rental.
- Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun: The Senators were close to completing a minor trade on Saturday, but now GM Bryan Murray is starting to think they won’t make a trade before the Olympic roster freeze.
“We had a couple of teams I was talking fairly serious to about a smaller type deal that would add one player to our team, but it doesn’t appear it’s going to happen at this point,” said Murray, who is actively seeking a winger to play with captain Jason Spezza. “As of now, we are what we are.
“I’ve talked to a number of managers, I think there’s a lot of people just saying we’d like to do something, but there’s nothing on the horizon right now.”
The Senators are wanting to add some more scoring, and are known to have interest in Matt Moulson.
“If we could find one more forward of particular type, I think that would help us.”
- Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe: Shinzawa wonders if the Oilers would be interested in Flyers Luke Schenn. If the Islanders decide to move defenseman Andrew MacDonald, they could look for a 1st round pick.
- Craig Custance of ESPN: (mailbag) Kings GM Dean Lombardi isn’t afraid to make big move, and may be looking to bring in a top-six forward. Custance thinks they could look at Thomas Vanek, Matt Moulson, Mike Cammalleri or Ales Hemsky. The Islanders would be better off getting some assets for Vanek, and they could try to re-sign in the summer.