- Harvey Fialkov: Despite the fact that the Panthers have asked for money from Broward County, GM Dale Talon has the green light to spend to the salary cap ceiling.
- Mike Harrington: Matt Moulson is the Sabres most attractive asset. Many teams need a scorer. Not a lot of teams need a goalie unless an injury happens.
- Brian Wilde: On the trade block: Matt Moulson, Mike Cammalleri, Olli Jokinen, Devin Setoguchi, Brad Boyes, Jake Gardiner and Nazem Kadri. The Canadiens could use a No. 3 defenseman and a big bodied right winger. They don’t have the cap space, so salary must go out.
- Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News: Sabres Mikhail Grigorenko is refusing to report to the Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL. Harrington’s inquiries say that the KHL is a possibility. The AHL is not an option.
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: Dater thinks it wouldn’t be a good idea to trade Ryan O’Reilly. “If the Avs trade O’Reilly because they don’t want to pay him a dollar more than Matt Duchene or any other artificial reason, then they will be very, very dumb.”You hear the ….
“They’ll deal him by the March 5 deadline for a D-man or some other “need” go the rumors. “The Avs are loaded at center, so they deal O’Reilly to a team where he’ll be used as a center, and therefore the Avs will get trade value in return befitting a top-six center.”
Oh that one makes a lot of sense. First off, O’Reilly is a winger now, and a great winger. So, if the Avs trade him, they are trading a great WINGER, which would create an immediate void of a great WINGER. This idea that, well, the Avs have so much up the middle already, so that makes O’Reilly expendable in some ways…no. He’s a great left wing right now. So, you trade him, you’re trading a winger that very few teams can match in overall game.
- Katie Carrera: The Capitals and Mikhail Grabovski are in the early stages of contract extension talks.
- Adam Vingan of NBC Washington: The Capitals are in the early stages of talking about a contract extension with center Mikhail Grabovski.
“He’s comfortable here,” Greenstin said Saturday at the Capitals’ practice facility in Arlington. “Good coaching staff, he fits here very well, but Grabo is very talented center. He’s able to play in a lot of organization the same role. He’s a first-two liner, he reads the game very well, but we’ll see what’s happening. Most likely he’ll stay here.”
“Why not?” Greenstin said when asked if he could envision Grabovski remaining with the Capitals. “Depends on the management. Coach likes him, we just begin talking about future contract. It’s not easy process. It will take some time, I believe.
“He’s very comfortable in Washington. … We’ll see. Good coach, good organization, we go from this.”
- Wes Gilbertson of the Calgary Sun: Flames Brian Burke
“We’re open for business. A lot is going to depend on when we complete the GM search, but in the meantime, we are open for business.”
Coach Bob Hartley
“We know it’s coming,” Hartley explained after Saturday’s morning skate.
“We know we have a bunch of unrestricted free agents and Burkie will want to improve the team, that’s for sure. Burkie will make decisions — just like me, just like everybody else — for the best of the organization. Obviously, there is going to be some question marks. There is going to be some speculation.”
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Sources are saying the Maple Leafs are looking for depth up front. Carl Gunnarsson and Jake Gardiner could be used as trade bait.Penguins GM Ray Shero may be the second most actvie GM and he’s dangling prospects.
Lightning GM Steve Yzerman has let teams know that Tom Pyatt and Keith Aulie are available.
There is heat on Capitals GM George McPhee to do something. He’s not going to be fired. Former GM Brian Lawton said that Martin Erat could be headed for the Coyotes.
Newport Sports agent Craig Oster could be the Sabres assistant GM.
The Avs haven’t had contract talks with center Paul Stastny, but they are not likely to trade him. The Senators and Canucks would be calling if he’s available. The Flames, Oilers, Leafs, Jets and Canadiens would also be interested. The price would be high. If the Rangers buyout Brad Richards, they’ll be looking for a center.
The Blue Jackets will be willing to trade Brandon Dubinsky.
Oilers Sam Gagner could be traded to the Hurricanes for a goalie: Cam Ward , Justin Peters or Anton Khudobin.
Someone could be interested in Ales Hemsky for a draft pick.