- Darren Dreger on TSN: Leafs GM Dave Nonis said that he’s received trade offers for James van Riemsdyk, Nazem Kadri, Jake Gardiner, Morgan Rielly, James Reimer and Jonathan Bernier. Most GM have only offered older players or packages at are not useful in the long-term. Nonis insists he’s not shopping Gardiner, but a rival management sources have said that his name was been brought up by the Maple Leafs in their search for a top-six forward. At this time, there doesn’t appear to be a fit anywhere. The Rangers continue to shop Michael Del Zotto, with the Leafs showing some interest. Cody Franson could be a target for the Rangers. The Senators are still in the mix for Del Zotto, though their interest may have cooled. The Senators may be willing to trade either Eric Gryba, Joe Corvo or Patrick Wiercioch.
- Kevin Allen of USA Today: Case for trading: Rangers Dan Girardi seems to have less impact under coach Alain Vigneault. Moving Ryan Callahan would symbolize the Rangers going a different direction under Vigneault. They could trade both and still be able to stay in the playoff hunt. They could get a veteran and a prospect and/or draft pick in return for both. Case to not trade: GMs are always looking for players like Callahan and every coach loves shutdown guys like Girardi. The Rangers are not rebuilding and are suppose to be a contending team.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “I know the Rangers love Cody Franson. They could make a Del Zotto for Franson trade tomorrow.” … “Franson may be a disappointment but he has tremendous trade value around the NHL”
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “Nonis is contemplating trades. The guy people want and who Nonis may move is Gardiner and that’s a mistake” … “Puck moving defenseman are really hard to come by” … “Unless a center of similar age and talent are offered then moving Gardiner is dangerous.
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “Seems like everything with Gardiner and Carlyle isn’t hand in glove. When he makes a mistake Carlyle wants to sit him down”
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie on TSN Radio: “Flames are not moving quickly in their GM search. Other than Nieuwendyk, Burke hasn’t asked for permission for others” … “The Sabres won’t hire anybody until the new year and the Flames search may last this entire season” … “Burke really likes Mike Futa of the Kings. The Leafs were very close to hiring him prior to his going to LA”
- Louis Jean: Reports of Seattle and Las Vegas being the front-runners for expansion are premature. Source saying nothing has changed since the BOG meetings, they will continue to listen to groups that are interest.
- Wayne Scanlan of the Ottawa Citizen: The Senators pursued David Clarkson at the start of free agency last year. Scanlan also notes that Clarke MacArthur was “run out of town on a rail by Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle.”
- Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis has a message for his players.
“If they’re waiting for a coaching change, they’re going to be waiting a long time,” Nonis said in a lengthy interview on Wednesday.
“It’s not happening. We’re not making a move (player or coach) for the sake of making a move. We’re not trading a young player away that will erode our depth or take youth out of our lineup. We don’t do that.
“Do I like what’s going on? No. We have to find a way of getting out of this as a group. Players. Coaches. Management. No one is going to help us. I’m getting a lot of offers on players, but the offers are all a joke. I’m not about to trade a quality player for someone who can’t help us. That’s what’s being presented our way.
“If I could make changes this afternoon I would, but it has to be a positive move for the organization. Look, there’s no one coming over the hill to help us. We have to do it ourselves.”