- Mark Spector: Cam Ward has a no-trade clause and a long history with the Hurricanes. GM Jim Rutherford really likes him. Seems like it would be a long shot for them to move him. Darren Dreger: A Cam Ward trade is possible, but it would require a big return for an in-season trade. He should return to the lineup next week.
- The Fourth Period: Hurricanes goalies Anton Khudobin and Justin Peters have been in the rumors, and now it appears that Cam Ward may consider a change of scenery. Both Khudobin and Peters will be UFAs at the end of the season. If the Hurricanes are able to re-sign Khudobin, they could explore a Ward trade in the summer. They are currently looking for a top-six forward.
- Mark Spector: Spector has heard the Predators may be interested in Oilers Sam Gagner.
- The Fourth Period: Nazem Kadri could be the odd man out as the Maple Leafs look for a top-line center. It is thought that the Leafs could package Kadri and Jake Gardiner for a proven first line center, then move Tyler Bozak to the second line. This type of move may have to wait until the offseason. The Oilers and Leafs have talked, but Sam Gagner isn’t a top-line center. The Leafs have shown interest in Jeff Skinner and Paul Stastny in the past. They wouldn’t move Kadri for a pending UFA in Stastny.
- James Mirtle: Darren Dreger said that if the Maple Leafs are going to trade Nazem Kadri, and there is a chance that they will, they will need a center to come back in the deal.
- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: If the Rangers decide to go the route of sellers by the trade deadline, they don’t have a lot to deal off their roster. They also don’t have a lot of resources in their system to bring in players if they want to go that route. They do need to get bigger. They could trade Michael Del Zotto for a defenseman that could play 16 minutes and have the ability to play in the top-four if need be. They are not deep enough to trade a J.T. Miller, Pavel Buchnevich or a 1st round pick. Dan Girardi and Ryan Callahan could be rental chips. If they think they could contend, they won’t move either of them. GM Glen Sather could look at what the Penguins may offer for Callahan to play along side Sidney Crosby.
- Craig Custance of ESPN: Coyotes coach Dave Tippett on taking the next step.
“You look at the last four years, we’ve been in survival mode,” Tippett said when we chatted before Tuesday night’s loss. “Where we are now, we want to take the next step as an organization. To do that, you have to be more than just scratch and claw. You have to be able to compete in all facets of the game. The facets of our game that were lacking were offensive production, power play, things like that. What we’ve done is we’ve enhanced some of that, but it’s taken away our bread and butter.”
They will need to add more offense and skill if they want to compete with the top teams in the West.
- Sean Fitz-Gerald: LA Kings scout Alyn McCauley was at the Leafs-Sabres game. John Ferguson Jr. was also there. Mike Harrington: Scouts from 14 teams at the game. A lot of them live in the area. Greg Brady: At the game: Sabres, Ducks, Kings, Predators, Flyers, Blackhawks, Blue Jackets, Stars and Coyotes.