- Katie Strang of ESPN: The Rangers and Dan Girardi’s camp have been talking the past week and a half. Agent, Don Meehan, said that it’s “still too early to tell” whether a deal can get done before the deadline. The two sides are reportedly not significantly far apart.
- Larry Brooks: The Rangers continue to work on an extension for Dan Girardi. Agent Don Meehan, “Some more negotiating to do.”
- Katie Strang of ESPN: Ryan Callahan’s agent said on Wednesday that he hadn’t spoken with the Rangers during the Olympic break, but did plan on touching base with them in the next few days.
“I haven’t talked to them since before the Olympics,” Bartlett said. “There’s really been no dialogue since I left. Either we talk this week or it’ll be pretty clear what direction they’ve decided to take.”
Bartlett added that it was “a little disappointing” there hasn’t been more talk.
“They are certainly within their rights to do what is best for the team,” he said. “I’m not going to speculate what they will or won’t do.”
There is still some hope a deal can get done.
“I continue to stay upbeat and positive. Our first choice is to make a deal with the Rangers, but if it goes in the other direction, I’m not going to throw up the white flag,” Bartlett said. “I’m not saying I’m inflexible … my job is to help [Callahan] decide what fair market value is and help him make the best decision.”
- William DePaoli: The Penguins had exploratory talks with pending RFA Brandon Sutter in December, but have pulled back on talks. Barring a trade, talks are likely on hold until the summer. The Penguins are high on Sutter, but there are mixed opinions on what his value it.
- Darren Dreger: Flames GM Brian Burke admits that signing Mike Cammalleri to a contract extension might be unlikely, but both sides have agreed to keep talking while trade offers come in.
- Adrian Dater: Avs Ryan O’Reilly’s trade freeze ends today, but he is expected to sign an long-term contract extension this summer.