- Brett Cyrgalis of the NY Post: Rangers Dan Girardi will be looking for a raise from his $3.325 million cap hit. If his contract demands are too high, GM Glen Sather could deal him by the trade deadline.
“I think I’ve said this before: We want to re-sign all of these players, and we’d like to get it done before the season is finished if we can,” said Sather, who also has the task of trying to re-sign captain Ryan Callahan, a winger. “We’ve had discussions with their agents and hopefully we will get it done. But this does give us a little more insurance on that side, so you have to look to the future as well when you do make these deals.”
- The Fourth Period: After the Del Zotto trade to the Predators, the Rangers will now turn to their attention to trying to re-sign Dan Girardi and Ryan Callahan. The Rangers have already explored trade talks with the Ducks about Girardi. Other teams are also interested in Girardi.
- Arthur Staple of Newsday: Islanders GM Garth Snow and Thomas Vanek’s agent have had some conversations over the past few weeks, and talks could continue leading up to the trade deadline. The Isles would like to know if Vanek would be open to signing a long-term deal with the team. If not, they’ll look to move him. There hasn’t been any talk between the Isles and pending UFA defenseman Andrew MacDonald. MacDonald could look for a deal in the $5 million range.
- Michael Traikos of the National Post: The Maple Leafs have received calls on both James Reimer and Jonathan Bernier, but for now, GM Dave Nonis has no plans to break up the pairing.
“I haven’t thought that too far, but could I see a scenario where both goalies were back next season? Yes,” said Nonis. “We’ve gone this far because of our goaltending. Jon is on a bit of a roll, but James has been really good for us.
“I would never write James Reimer off.”
Reasons why a goalie decision will likely wait until the offseason: 1. The Leafs need two goalies down the stretch 2. Trade value for goalies is low 3. Fear in a one-goalie system.
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “Moulson will be flipped for sure. I have to believe they’ll get a prospect or a 2nd round pick. LA is def interested” … “Don’t count the Sens out on Moulson. If they’re still in the playoff race come the deadline, I think Bryan gives his nephew a call” 67 Sound: “Does anyone else find it insane Moulson might be worth as little as a 2nd given rental prices at recent deadlines?”
- Chris Nichols: The Predators say they intend to sign newly acquired pending RFA Michael Del Zotto to a long-term contract.
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “Rangers needed financial security because they want to re-sign Girardi. Didn’t want to give MDZ a raise this summer.”
- David Strehle: Scouting the Flyers-Hurricanes: Blues and Jets (2). The Blues do play the Hurricanes next week and the Jets early next month.
- Chris Nichols: Brian Rafalski (playing in ECHL) isn’t sure what his intentions are. The Red Wings have someone watching him last weekend.