- Eric Francis: Flames GM Brian Burke said that their first round pick is “not in play” and “we’re not doing anything short term.”
- The Fourth Period: Flames pending UFAs include: Michael Cammalleri, Lee Stempniak, Matt Stajan and Kris Russell. Teams looking for top-six wingers that could look at Cammalleri and Stempniak are: Kings, Coyotes, Red Wings, Rangers, Canadiens and Penguins. Both Cammalleri and Stempniak have limited no-trade clauses. Curtis Glencross has been targeted by several team. Glencross has a no-trade clause and has one year left on his deal. It’s not known if the Flames would be willing to trade him, and if he would accept a deal. Cost to acquire Glencross would be higher than Cammalleri or Stempniak.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: The Blues are in need of a true No. 1 starting goalie. They won’t give up Dmitrij Jaskin, but Matheson can see them trading Magnus Paajarvi, their first round pick and Jaroslav Halak.
The Blackhawks are still looking for a No. 2 center to play with Patrick Kane. They’ll look to get a center at the trade deadline.
When the Ducks put Ilya Bryzgalovon waivers seven years ago, the Oilers wanted to pick him up but they already had 50 players under contract. They couldn’t find anyone to take a contract, and the Coyotes ended up claiming him.
Penguins Simon Despres is so far in the doghouse, he likely could be had for a rental winger.
- Chuck Gormley: Gormley isn’t usually a fan of “reactionary trades,” but now might be a good time for the Capitals to do one.
- Wade Redden: “My decision about retiring from hockey wasn’t easy me and my wife talked about it and thought it was the best thing to do for our family. I want to thank the Ottawa Senators, New York Rangers, St. Louis Blues and the Boston Bruins for making my NHL career the best. I’ll always cherish the good memories for the rest of my life. I’ve played with a lot of good players and made a lot of good friends.”
- Darren Dreger: Canucks coach John Tortorella will have an in-person hearing in New York. Both a suspension and fine are possible.
- Aaron Vickers: Karri Ramo will start in net for the Flames.