- Joe Haggerty of CSNNE: Oilers GM Craig MacTavish and president Kevin Lowe watched the Flyers-Bruins game on Saturday. Nick Schultz might be one of the veteran, left-handed stay-at-home defenseman the Bruins are looking at. The Bruins aren’t looking for a defenseman who has term left on his deal. Some fans may be dreaming of a Andrew Ference return. Ference has three years left at $3.25 million. Other D targets could be Chris Phillips, Dan Girardi and Andrew MacDonald.
“The pickings are slim,” said one Bruins source when asked about the trade market for veteran defensemen.
- Kevin Paul Dupont: Dupont wonders if Bruins fans would be fine with trading Malcolm Subban for a No. 2-3 defenseman. The key for the Bruins is finding a defenseman that can play 20 minutes and ease the burden on Zdeno Chara.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: The Senators will likely wait until after the Olympic break to see if they will look add a rental before the trade deadline. GM Bryan Murray will continue to work the phones, but it’s unlikely that he’ll do anything before the deadline. They had six days of scouting meetings, covering from the trade deadline, draft and free agency.
“We identified what our team is right now and possible targets for possible trades,” said Dorion.
“Not that we’re going to make any trades but we always have to be ready for that possibility (with) players who we feel could help us in the short-or-long term.”
- Dan O’Neill of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Sabres GM Tim Murray would like to re-sign Ryan Miller, but trade speculation continues in St. Louis. Both Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott will be UFAs in St. Louis. Both have put up good numbers, but they’ve seemed vulnerable at times. The Blues would need to send some salary back to Buffalo if they decide to make a move, they can’t just send the Sabres draft picks.
- Craig Custance of ESPN: The Predators haven’t asked David Legwand to waive his no-trade clause. If they are to look at trading him, the Ducks could make a pitch for him. Legwand may prefer to stay closer to home, so the Red Wings or Blackhawks could interest him if they are interested. The Blackhawks are looking for a 2nd line center, and he could be a good fit there. Custance thinks he could get the Predators a 1st round pick. The Capitals could use a top-four defenseman, someone like Stars Trevor Daley could help them, and they wouldn’t have to give Mike Green.
- Brian Lawton: Lawton would be surprised if teams aren’t looking at Ryan Malone. He hasn’t been playing much since coming back from injury.
- Randy Sportak: The Flames may have to eat some of Shane O’Brien’s contract if they want to trade him.
- George Richards: Talk from Edmonton surrounding Panthers Erik Gudbranson being scratched yesterday. He’s not going anywhere as the Panthers seen him as part of their future.