- Renaud Lavoie: The Leafs and Jonathan Bernier’s agent spoke yesterday. Contract talks will start this week. Darren Dreger: Will talk in the next day or two. Bernier could become a UFA in three years. L.A. Lariviere: Bernier’s deal could get done before the draft “to avoid distractions,” according to agent.
- Darren Dreger: Sounding like the Maple Leafs expect to be busy on the trade front this week. Looking for a young center and a top 4 defenseman.
- Darren Dreger: There are some rumblings that Dion Phaneuf could be in play. GM Dave Nonis has said he’d trade just about anyone, but said that nobody has called about Phaneuf yet. Bob McKenzie: Adds that he is hearing the same.
- Darren Dreger: Toronto would trade Joffrey Lupul, James van Reimsdyk and just about anyone if the return is good enough. All unlikely scenarios.
- Howard Berger: Doesn’t expect the Leafs to trade Phaneuf as they’d have to replace his 30-35 minutes a game and physical ability.
- David Staples: Insiders saying the Maple Leafs are interested in Oilers center Sam Gagner. Josh Rimer tweeted yesterday “”Hearing Leafs have had discussions with Oilers about Sam Gagner. Leafs are looking for a young centre and he certainly fits the bill. … I do see the Leafs adding one of Gagner, Stastny or Stephen Weiss. … Vancouver has also has discussions about Gagner as Sam’s dad Dave is part of Canucks MGMT.”Dreger noted that anything is possible, but the Oilers and Gagner are working on a new contract. Oilers GM Craig MacTavish has called a press conference for Tuesday.
- Adrian Dater: Not aware of any trade talks, but mentions if Phaneuf is available and the Avalanche were to land him, would certainly have to include Paul Stastny. Phaneuf’s cap hit is $6.5 million, Stastny’s is $6.6 million.
- Mike Zeisberger of the Toronto Sun: Five Maple Leafs to watch: 1. Mike Komisarek – buyout. 2. Tyler Bozak – said to be looking for Grabovski money ($5.5 million) which is about $1.5 million more than the Maple Leafs are thinking. 3. Dion Phaneuf – Leafs looking for top four defenseman but could be willing to move Phaneuf in the right deal. 4. Clarke MacArthur – were reports that he wouldn’t be back, but with Leo Komarov and Matt Frattin gone, that may change if the price is right. 5. Nazem Kadri – need to lockup the RFA who made $1.7 million last year.
- Howard Berger: Leafs will use compliance buyout on Mike Komisarek and possibly on Mikhail Grabovski and John-Michael Liles depending on what their replacement options would be.
- Howard Berger: Whispers that Tyler Bozak has played his final game in a Leafs jersey as Nonis won’t come close to his asking price.
- Howard Berger: Hearing that the Leafs are interesting in bringing in another goalie, maybe a UFA, as insurance of a Bernier or Reimer injury.
- Chris Johnston of SportsNet: Kings GM Dean Lombardi:
“It’s very difficult to get market value for a guy who is going to be a No. 1,” Lombardi said on a Sunday afternoon conference call. “You do the best you can and this was the best deal. Toronto was certainly aggressive.
“If you get a No. 1 goalie you can’t put a price on that.”
One of the first things Dave Nonis did when he took over from Brian Burke was to call Lombardi about Bernier.
“We were close a couple times, but there was always something that kind of stopped the deal,” said Nonis. “Most of it was in place months ago and we just found a time that was right for both sides.”