- Jim Gintonio of the Arizona Republic: Coyotes GM Don Maloney on Kyle Turris:
“He felt that he decided he wanted to go down a certain route and certain things he was looking for; and for us as an organization, very few times in the CBA where you do have some leverage, and we just felt strongly that we needed to use our leverage now,” he said.
“Looking down the road with some other players … we just felt it was important to set a standard on how we operate.”
Maloney added the process was always about business as Turris was looking for a contract worth a lot more than he got. Captain Shane Doan on having Turris back in the locker room:
“Obviously, we’re going to tease him, we’re going to have fun with him,” he said. “This room is a pretty good group of guys that’s gonna give it to him, and the reason you give it to him is because you like him so much.
“Everybody wants him back. So we’re looking forward to it, and I’m sure he’s looking forward to playing hockey again, that’s what he does, and he does it really well.”
- Jim Gintonio via twitter: His gut feeling is that Turris will remain with the Coyotes.
- Dan Gelston (AP) in the Raleigh News & Observer: The NHL’s CBA is to expire on Sept. 15th 2012, but talks are scheduled to begin just after the NHL All-Star Game.
- Iain MacIntyre via twitter: Canucks forward Mason Raymond is getting close to returning, with the possibility of him being in the lineup next week during their homestand.
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: Kings defenseman Drew Doughty was fined $2,500 for his hit on TJ Oshie.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Blair Jones was put on waivers by the Lightning. Predators Niclas Bergfors cleared waivers.
- Nick Kypreos via twitter: Jets defenseman Zach Bogosian will have a hearing this afternoon for his hit on Capitals Cody Eakin. Andre Deveaux will also have a hearing for his elbow on Tomas Fleischmann. How many games do you think Deveaux will get?