- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: The Rangers have elected for a 1 year contract in Brandon Dubinsky’s arbitration hearing today. They have requested a $2.8 million contract, while Dubinsky has requested $4.6 million. It’s expected he’ll be awarded somewhere in the $3.8 to $4.4 million range. GM Glen Sather won’t be attending. After today’s hearing, the Rangers will turn their attention to Ryan Callahan in hopes of getting a multi-year done before next weeks hearing.
- James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail: Chris Campoli and the Blackhawks have parted ways after he was awarded $2.5 million in a sped up process. Both sides had agreed that they would be parting ways regardless of what the arbitration away was, so they were able to have the hearing 2 weeks before the original date.
“The decision was made to move the date up to today because Chicago likes Chris and didn’t want him to be in a position where he was suddenly an unrestricted free agent in August,” Campoli’s agent Rich Evans said.
“As long as the NHL and the Players’ Association were in agreement, and the player and his agent and the team were in agreement, there was nothing holding us up from doing this and moving the date.”
Several teams have already contacted Campoli’s agent about his availability.
- Terry Koshan of hte Toronto Sun: The Ryan Malone trade rumors to Toronto have apparently started again, which may not make much sense as the Lightning don’t need to clear salary cap space and they don’t have big body that drives the net that could replace him. If this deal where to happen the Leafs would need to clear some cap space, with suggestions that Mike Komisarek could be sent to the minors. It is rumored that the Leafs could get Malone and Carter Ashton for Jussi Rynnas and a pick.
- Dmitry Chesnokov via twitter: Nikolai Zherdev’s agent said he’s looking for only NHL offers, but will consider the KHL if he can’t get an NHL contract. Zherdev’s agent: “Nikolai is in Russia now but not to sign a contract in the KHL, but to start training [for the next season].” Slava Malamud via twitter: Zherdev is flying to Moscow today, and seems likely that he’ll sign somewhere soon.
- Katie Strang of Newsday: Isles GM Garth Snow has said they need a top defenseman to play with Mark Streit and they need to added salary to get to the cap floor. Teams may now have bonus overages from last year and may be looking to clear some cap space.
- Staff of Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik has undergone sports hernia surgery and will be recovering for 6 to 8 weeks.