- Pierre LeBrun: The Kings and Marian Gaborik could be closing in on a deal. It could be done in the next 48 hours.
- Elliotte Friedman of CBC: Hearing the Kings and Gaborik are talking three years and in the $5.5 to $6 million per season range.Contract extension talks with Kings and coach Darryl Sutter could be underway.
Friedman thinks the Canucks have offered the Panthers the No. 6th pick, Hunter Shinkaruk and another piece, likely a roster player not named Ryan Kesler.
Bruce Garrioch reported that Kesler would only go to the Blackhawks or Penguins. It’s not a long list, but it does include the Ducks.
Friedman wonders if it would take a three-team deal to get Kesler where he wants to be.
The Islanders are telling people they’ll move the 5th overall pick for a player who can help now. Other teams are in “stealth mode” like the Maple leafs. “Dave Nonis is like a baseball GM, throwing 25 players on the waiver wire to hide the one he really wants to move.”
The Maple Leafs won’t make a deal for the sake of making a deal, but they are testing the market. They want to add depth up front and make adjustment to their blueline. Teams are getting laughed at when they ask about Morgan Rielly. Teams are calling about Jake Gardiner and James van Riemsdyk.
Two teams to watch: Hurricanes and Jets.
The Jets are willing to trade Evander Kane. Zach Bogosian’s name has come up.
The Flyers are never afraid to be bold and could look to move up in the draft.
Rumors of the Oilers trying to move up in draft have cooled.
Lots of talk of Jason Spezza going to St. Louis. Friedman adds Eric Staal would look good in a Blues uniform. Patrick Berglund’s name comes up.
Penguins Kris Letang won’t be traded unless it’s a ridiculous offer.
- Randy Miller of NJ.com: Miller lists five possible landing spots for Martin Brodeur: 1. Washington Capitals 2. Minnesota Wild 3. Pittsburgh Penguins 4. New York Islanders 5. Edmonton Oilers
- Darren Dreger: Teams are throwing names at Penguins GM Jim Rutherford for James Neal. What is the trade value for a 30-40 goal scorer?
- Jimmy Murphy: Source saying talks between the Canadiens and Mike Weaver are status quo.