- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Sources saying the Flames have made a pitch to the Senators for center Jason Spezza, but a deal is unlikely to happen. Sources saying Spezza isn’t really interested in playing in Canada, with the Flames, Canucks, Oilers and Jets on Spezza’s list of 10 teams that he doesn’t want to be traded too. The Flames are thought to be offering Jiri Hudler, Mikael Backlund, maybe Dennis Wideman and one of their several second and third round draft picks. The Senators would be looking to get a better deal for Spezza.The Blues have been talking to the Canucks about Ryan Kesler.The Sharks are listening to offers on Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau.
- Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe: The Rangers should use their compliance buyout on Brad Richards as they would likely be stuck with a cap recapture penalty as it’s unlikely that he plays until he’s 40 and earning only $1 million in each of the last three years of the deal. His legs are starting to fade and it has shown in his play.The Rangers could look at Joe Thornton.Teams can start talking to pending UFAs from June 25th to June 30th.
Backup goalie Chad Johnson could be an option for the Jets.
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: There was speculation that the Avalanche would get an outdoor game next season, but sources saying that is unlikely. Source added they are likely to get one during the 2015-16 season.
- Steve Simmons: Kings GM Dean Lombardi on if assistant coach John Stevens is leaving: “Why would anyone want to leave here?” Lombardi added that nobody has asked for permission to speak with him.
- Steve Simmons: Kings GM Dean Lombardi on Marian Gaborik: “We want him back. It all depends on what he wants.”
- Steve Simmons: Kings GM Dean Lombardi on Mike Richards: “We’ve got to prepare for July 1st in a hurry. Everything is up in air right now.”
- Andy Strickland: It is unlikely that the Blues will trade the rights to Ryan Miller before July 1st.