- Jason Greger: Shannon said that he’s hearing that the Blackhawks are looking to trade Johnny Oduya to get under the salary cap. He has one year left on his deal. Gregor thinks the Oilers should be calling.
- Harvey Fialkov: Panthers GM Dale Tallon is looking trade some of their organizational “assets” for a goal scorer.
- Mike Halford of Pro Hockey Talk: Going off of Tallon looking to trade some of their assets for a scorer and with the Blackhawks in a little bit of cap crunch, Halford wonders if the Panthers would be interested in Patrick Sharp. Sharp’s name has been in the rumor mill. He has a $5.9 million cap hit though 2017.
- Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger: Devils Lou Lamoriello on free agent Ryan Carter.
“We’re still interested in bringing Ryan back. He’s still interested in here. Nothing has happened at this point,” the GM said.
Lamoriello on a potential trade.
“We felt we had to do some things with our offense (in free agency) but we’re constantly looking at what we can do to get better, whether it’s now, during the summer, in training camp or the beginning of the season. If there is something we can do today or tomorrow to get better, we will do that.
“Right now we feel very good about what has transpired… Right now our goaltending is set, we have our defense set and right now, for the most part, our offense is pretty well intact. But I could not say something won’t happen.”
- Greg Brady: Brady wonders why the Red Wings rushed to sign backup goalie Jonas Gustavsson when the Maple Leafs could be looking to trade Cody Franson and James Reimer. Would have been ideal for the Red Wings. Franson would have fit in as their fourth or fifth defenseman and on their second power play unit. Reimer would have pushed Howard and potentially could have been a better option.
- Seth Rorabaugh: Former Penguin Aleksey Morozov has had his contract with CSKA Moscow of the KHL terminated.