- Pat Leonard of the NY Daily News: The Rangers are down five players, including a couple centermen. They still have Derek Stepan, Derick Brassard and Dominic Moore, but still lack depth. They didn’t have the cap space to throw at a big named center, instead they’ll be planning on filling the position from within. Rookie Oscar Lindback will get a shot. J.T. Miller played the wing and has played center, but he wouldn’t be able to handle the defensive responsibilities.
“We’ve got a couple possibilities,” coach Alain Vigneault said in a conference call on Tuesday. “(Third-year forward) J.T. (Miller) is one, and Lindberg is another, and there’s still work to be done. (Assistant general manager) Jeff (Gorton) signed (free agent Chris) Mueller also. He’s got some experience and some potential. So we’ve got quite a few possibilities there.”
GM Glen Sather has about $15 million to sign RFAs Brassrd, Mats Zuccarello, Chris Kreider and John Moore.
- Chris Kuc: Source saying that Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane won’t get their contract extensions done until after the long weekend.
- Scott Powers of ESPN: Toews and Kane continue their negotiations with the Blackhawks, and have not been delayed due to tagging space issues according to a source. They do have around $26 million in expiring contracts for 2015-16, so they can fit the extensions in.
“As in terms of the negotiations, I think I’ve been pretty consistent in saying that I’m not going to comment on them other than it’s ongoing,” Bowman said on Tuesday. “Nothing has changed from my original expectation that they’re both going to be signed. We’re looking forward to that.”
- Brian Compton: Hearing that Islanders forward Frans Nielsen isn’t and won’t be in play.
- David Pagnotta: Defenseman Michael Del Zotto had received interest from multiple teams. Considering his options and offers.