- Adam Vigan of NBC Washington: In addressing his free agent signings Tuesday, general manager Brian MacLellan reiterated that Mike Green is very much in the Capitals’ immediate plans. MacLellan and coach Barry Trotz have already begun to confer on how they envision the defense lining up. MacLellan said he could see newly signed defenseman Brooks Orpik as Green’s partner.
“I also think with Mike Green, [Orpik] would help stabilize his game, make him feel a little more confident in the D-zone and maybe give him more confidence to go offensively,” MacLellan said
- Will DePaoli of Inside Pittsburgh Sports: The Penguins hope to add an assistant coach any day now, but it will not be Travis Green. Green told the Penguins he will be staying with the Vancouver Canucks.A scout on Monday said Christian Ehrhoff the best defenseman who was set to hit the open market. No team on Ehrhoff’s short list of 3-4 teams were willing to go beyond three years for him at the money the he wanted. Getting a one-year deal with a no trade clause was also important for Ehrhoff.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “The Reimer situation is still up in the air. The goalie market has pretty much dried up” … “Reimer is property of the Leafs” … “Reimer was told when he made his trade request that they would try & maximize him as an asset but not giving him up for free” … “If Reimer wants a fresh start he may have to be patient“
- John Vogl: Though he might fit in better elsewhere, the Sabres haven’t closed the door on Steve Ott returning.
- Frank Seravalli: Though Peter Mueller’s agent won’t say which teams are interested in him, the Flyers are believed to mix for him.
- Greg Brady: Source said that the Maple Leafs were in contact with Steve Downie before he signed with the Penguins.